Long Live Pivo! (Firestone Walker Pivo Pils is back in 12-ounce cans and 6-packs!)

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Todd, Jun 23, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd

Todd Founder (13,254) Aug 23, 1996 Finland
    Staff Super Mod Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Firestone Walker Pivo Pils is back in 12-ounce cans and 6-packs! :heart_eyes::beers:

[​IMG]

Words by Lauren Bell

LONG LIVE PIVO
    Craft pilsner may not yet be a bestselling beer style in mainstream circles, but it has never been hotter among brewers and beer geeks. Case in point: the recent Firestone Walker Invitational Beer Festival, where pilsners from both the old and new worlds were never more prevalent and in-demand.

Which, naturally, brings us to our very own pilsner–Pivo, the dry-hopped marvel that helped pioneer a new generation of American craft pilsners. And while Pivo is not as widely available as Firestone Walker stalwarts such as Mind Haze and Hopnosis, you can now find it in 12-ounce cans with a newly designed Firestone Walker heritage look.

TAKING IT BACK
    When Brewmaster Matt Brynildson first unveiled Pivo in 2013, he observed, “Lighter beer styles like pilsner have been hijacked by industrial lager beer in the United States, and it’s time for craft brewers to take it back. Pivo is our contribution to the cause.”

Now, nine years later–and judging by the pilsner love that was so abundant at our recent beer fest–you could say that this mission is well on its way to being accomplished.

It was fitting that the fest was attended by pilsner and lager producers from around the world, as Pivo itself draws from a variety of international influences.

For example, Pivo blends the bright refined dryness of the German pilsner model along with an aromatic twist courtesy of dry hopping. “The original inspiration for this beer comes from Italy–a dry-hopped pilsner called Tipopils made by Agostino Arioli at Birrificio Italiano,” Matt said. “Experiencing the beer was the ‘aha’ moment that set the idea of Pivo into motion.” As it turns out, Pivo helped drive recognition for this “Italian Pils” style, which has since gained a widespread following.

LONG LIVE PILSNER
    For those who are wondering, pilsner is a subset of the lager style. In contrast to ales, lagers are “bottom fermented” at colder temperatures over a longer period. Pilsners can be roughly summed up as a hoppier, spicier lager.

At the time that Pivo was released, American craft pilsners were still an outlier, although Victory, Trumer (Berkeley), and others had certainly made their mark on the style. Pivo was immediately met with widespread acclaim among the beer cognoscenti, and most notably, among the brewing community.

“A well-made pilsner earns respect, because pilsner is one of the most difficult beers to perfect,” Matt said. “It’s light on the palate, yet it incorporates so much. Any off flavor just comes screaming out. It’s this naked beer that doesn’t hide flaws.”

Pivo itself is impeccably balanced, showing floral aromatics, spicy herbal nuances, and lemongrass notes from German Saphir hops.

Get your taste of Pivo today. Six-packs are available now at our three California locations and our online store, and they are rolling out to some Firestone Walker Markets. Use our Beer Finder to locate it near you.

Long live craft pilsner, and long live Pivo!

###

2. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Almost 10 years later, I probably owe Pivo another chance -- but since I've been finding very fresh Trumer at crazy economical prices -- I have to wonder if I should fix what isn't broke. :slight_smile:

3. Domingo

Domingo Grand Pooh-Bah (4,206) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Society

I just hope the stock on my shelves isn't old. I like lots of FW's standard beers (Pivo included), but the stuff on my shelves is always at least 6 months old.

4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Case ordered, stoked!

5. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Savant (1,103) Jan 8, 2015 California

Currently the closest store location is 43 miles away. I hope it makes its way down to the South Bay. A head to head v Trumer sound like a good idea. I have become a big fan of Trumer.

6. deanzaZZR

$9.99/6 is a good price. How much was shipping?

7. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Excite!
    Excite reduced.

8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Grand Pooh-Bah (3,088) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Pooh-Bah Society

Welp, shit outta luck in MA obviously.

This part....

followed by this part....

caught my attention, since Pilsners are lagers as they state.

ChicagoJ and jonphisher like this.
  9. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Because... you didn't realize that previously?

Sorry, not being a (big) smartass, but I figured you knew that?

beergoot, ChicagoJ and jonphisher like this.
  10. deanzaZZR

It's hard to find an empty brewing vessel with what I am sure will be another Mind Haze variation coming out shortly. :stuck_out_tongue:

11. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Grand Pooh-Bah (3,625) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Free, have a buddy in Brewers Collective and I added mine onto his order.

ChicagoJ, GetMeAnIPA and deanzaZZR like this.
  12. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

Sweet! Oh wait I can’t find any within 50 miles? Not so sweet. Not sure I want to pay shipping. Hope they add more distro. I can find every Firestone beer except the one I really want.

13. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

I have to wonder if the FW beer finder has been updated with the new stock. I see the Pivo at a couple spots not far from me, but they're not the usual big retailers.

AlcahueteJ, ChicagoJ and jonphisher like this.
  14. jonphisher

jonphisher Grand Pooh-Bah (3,436) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I wondered the same thing after I checked. I saw it a few places not to far but all were bars…I didn’t think it was out keg, can or otherwise any time recently but I guess I could be wrong.

I’m curious to revisit this beer if I get the chance. The Italian pils that started it all :wink::stuck_out_tongue:

15. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

I have the exact same issue in my area - lots of old FW products on the Retailers' shelves.

Since Pivo is an re-introduction I figure this product has to be non-old? If so I will buy a six-pack.

Cheers to FW for bringing this beer back! :slight_smile:

Non-Cheers to FW for not maintaining fresh product at my local beer retailers! :slight_frown:

16. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Pooh-Bah (2,535) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

I am lucky in my area FSW is usually fresh. Mind haze, rarely buy, and Union Jack, buy somewhat frequently, always under 60 days.

might help that both are like $8.99 - $10.99.

jakecattleco and ChicagoJ like this.
  17. AWA

AWA Savant (1,183) Jul 22, 2014 California

How come I live 2 hours from their brewery and nobody within 50 miles of me sells this? Pisses me right off.

18. deanzaZZR

@AWA The only guess I can make is that FW is selling so much 805 and Mind Haze variants to the younger generation that they don't really care about the needs of us old fogies. :beers:

19. elNopalero

elNopalero Grand Pooh-Bah (4,568) Oct 14, 2009 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Since I’ve been one of those folks complaining about the lack of Pivo Pils, I will now be one of those folks to buy it up when I (hopefully) see it.

20. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Pooh-Bah (1,736) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

3.5 months old on arrival in Illinois…

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.