1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Looking for a lost beer from my past.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by trry699, Mar 13, 2019.

1. trry699

trry699 Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2019

From England with a purple label on bottle called Royal Oak made by Eldridge Pope Brewing. Wondering if still being produced and if so where can I find. Maybe the best tasting beverage ever.

2. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,319) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Welcome to the BA site, trry699. Here is a link to the history of Eldridge Pope Brewing per Wikipedia. It sounds like Marstons owns the brands now, and maybe the beer that you're looking for would be brewed by one of their microbreweries, if it is available at all. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldridge_Pope

I found this beer in the BA database: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1533/16169/

Is this it? The last review is dated June, 2018, so this sounds like it is available.

drtth, Jaycase, PatrickCT and 3 others like this.
  3. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (128) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Now that's what I call service with a bug-eyed smile. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nothing to add to what PapaGoose said, except my own Welcome to BA. :beers:

4. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,124) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Welcome to BA trry, as you can see members are generous with sharing information so ask anything about beer and we will try to answer. I also encourage you to join in the conversation over in the Beer Talk forum as well as the other forums.

5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,319) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I love a good mystery. :stuck_out_tongue: Hopefully the inquiry is properly solved.

PatrickCT, Squire and riptorn like this.
  6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,067) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Welcome aboard! While you're looking for this, give Timothy Taylor Landlord a try. :slight_smile: Cheers, and good luck!

Squire, PatrickCT, riptorn and 2 others like this.
  7. Dutchcraftbeergeek

Dutchcraftbeergeek Defender (686) Nov 21, 2015 Netherlands

Welcome to BA, cheers!

Squire, PatrickCT, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  8. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,899) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

Welcome and Cheers from Connecticut!

Squire and PapaGoose03 like this.
  9. PatrickCT

PatrickCT Poo-Bah (1,899) Feb 18, 2015 Connecticut
    Trader

I found this:
    Bottle conditioned. "Strong Ale". Silver Medal Burton, 1985. Production ceased in 2001. The name has been used by O'Hanlon's brewery since 2004 for a slightly stronger beer with a similar recipe. The heart of this beer is a subtle mix of pale & lightly crystallised malts, whose mouth-filling complexity acts as a base for the Northdown, Challenger & Goldings hops, which add higher notes of aroma & bitterness.

Maybe try a Yorkshire Stingo?
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/113/46749/
    A little higher in alcohol and probably bite but a great beer and available most of the time.

dcotom, Squire, riptorn and 1 other person like this.