Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Looking for a simple, all extract (no grain), no secondary fermentation, no dry hop IPA recipe

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PlinyBubbles, Mar 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JHamm

JHamm Dec 8, 2009 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Two weeks ago I finished up a simple APA extract recipe:

7 lbs extra light DME
    1.5 oz Amarillo @60
    1.0 oz Citra @ 10
    1.0 oz Citra @ flameout

California Ale (WLP001) yeast

2.0 oz Citra dry hopped for 14 days
    1.0 oz Amarillo dry hopped for 14 days

Threw in the dry hops last night and took a sample. Very nice citrus and grapefruit flavors so far.

2. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Jan 8, 2012 Chad

Sounds good. Did you make a starter or did you just pitch the yeast from the vial?

3. JHamm

JHamm Dec 8, 2009 Delaware
    Beer Trader

Yeah, I made a 1500 ml starter. Should have learned my lesson last time as the top blew off twice on me. Next time I'm just using a blow off tube instead of an airlock.

4. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

Looks like you already brewed an IPA, 7# of DME and 3 oz. of dry hops...just sayin'

5. kjyost

kjyost May 4, 2008 Manitoba (Canada)

And 1.5 oz of Amarillo @ 60, that should be a bunch of IBUs

6. mnstorm99

As far as the bittering charge goes, the OP could be doing a partial boil which would bring theis down to an APA level. But a 6%+ APA with that many dry hops...this thing is pushing on an unbalanced IPA/strong APA.

7. mnstorm99

As far as the OP's question which we all seem to be ignoring:
    Use the same malt bill.

As far as the hops, are you doing a partial boil (then topping off with water)? I could help get a schedule together, but need a bit more info.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe