Looking for an inexpensive Belgian Blonds and Tripels

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by NYTrappistMonk, Oct 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NYTrappistMonk

NYTrappistMonk Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2009 New York

Used to think Heineken and Beck's were good, then I got spoiled with my current faves: Westmalle Tripel, Chimay Tripel, Duvel. Have the occasional Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

They get pricey. Get anyone suggest blonds and/or tripels I could drink on other nights? Thanks.

2. CurtisD

CurtisD Devotee (444) Aug 16, 2012 Canada (NB)
    Trader

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but Unibroue beers are reasonably priced for Belgian styles. What about Allagash well? Decently priced anytime I’m in Maine/NE.

KentT, ChicagoJ, officerbill and 6 others like this.
  3. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,834) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

A few tripels which should be reasonably priced. Not sure if these are in your neck of the woods though.

Victory Golden Monkey
    Weyerbacher Merry Monks Ale
    New Belgium Trippel

4. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Poo-Bah (1,788) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Leffe Blond Ale is pretty inexpensive for a Belgian. If you can find Grimbergen it's not too expensive either

ChicagoJ, officerbill, GOBLIN and 5 others like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,561) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

@RochefortChris beat me to the punch. If you are seeking a Belgian brewed Abbey style beer that is more economical than Leffe is the 'answer'.

Cheers!

6. Mindcrime1000

Mindcrime1000 Poo-Bah (1,605) Apr 30, 2016 South Dakota
    Society Trader

New Belgium Tripel is solid.

North Coast Pranqster is not what I would call "cheap" but is definitely less expensive than the ones you listed, and is very tasty, especially for the price.

Leffe Blond is inexpensive and ok, but may or may not be your cup of tea; it's a sweeter take on the style.

7. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,467) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I was thinking La Fin du Monde when I opened this.... I have a passion for that stuff....

8. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (242) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

North Coast Pranqster
    Unibroue La Fin Du Monde

Not super super cheap, but the quality of both these beers is phenomenal and the 4 packs generally run at half the price of Belgian 4 packs (or in the case of Wastmalle, only a couple bucks more than a single 12 oz would run you)

ChicagoJ, hopsputin and Mindcrime1000 like this.
  9. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Stay away from Asylum unless you want "belgian" style malt liquor and want to die lol

alucard6679 likes this.
  10. readyski

readyski Defender (601) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Society Trader

Suggest buying the ones you like (Chimay , Duvel) in 4/6 packs rather than 750s. That would be cheaper :slight_smile:

11. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (197) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

OP, not sure where you are in New York, but also check your local craft beer options in addition to the good suggestions in this thread.

12. NYTrappistMonk

NYTrappistMonk Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2009 New York

Some great ideas, thank you. Any ideas for some that come in 12 packs, like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale? I'm able to get them at around $1.50 each with tax.

13. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,189) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Achouffe, Belgian IPA, Blonde, Strong and winter beer run between $10 and $12 a 4 pack at Total Wine which is a pretty good deal in my mind. Duvel Single is roughly $13 a 4 pack of 16 oz. New Belgium Trippel at $8 a six pack, seriously that is a deal.

14. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (356) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

It's La Fin Du Monde, as we know it

15. Cheeaaa

Cheeaaa Initiate (0) May 12, 2019 Missouri

Yeah I have to agree with unibroue. Don di dieu is what I was drinking last night and it's really tasty. The other unibroue listed is good as well.

16. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (421) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

New Belgium's is good but I found it to be hoppier than something like a Victory Golden Monkey, important to mention because that could turn a few people off. Stats for those interested:

NBT IBU: 43
    VGM: 25

officerbill likes this.
  17. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,757) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Nope. I don't know of any. I agree with people here that Unibroue and Allagash are good choices if you need something cheaper than Chimay (which can be twice the price)... but four packs of Unibroue and Allagash will still be double the price of what you're ideally looking for.

As mentioned by others, the regular version of Victory Golden Monkey and New Belgium "Trippel" will be closer to what you want price wise, and Leffe Blonde will be even closer to what you want price wise than that. I think you should really try sixers of those three (or singles if you'd rather not commit) and see what you like. I happen to like Golden Monkey and Leffe. Take them on their own terms though.

18. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (2,701) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

I'm gonna toss another vote for La Fin Du Monde, though it's probably still a touch on the pricier side.

Affligem Tripel might be a touch cheaper than the options listed..

ChicagoJ likes this.
  19. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,435) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Want cheaper easy to find Belgian daily drinkers? Look at the listing of witbiers. They should hit the spot.

20. lastmango

lastmango Champion (839) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

I'll second that. Very good beer for the price.

21. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (5,058) Dec 25, 2003 California
    Society

You are in luck, Brewery Ommegang is in Cooperstown NY.

Hard to beat Hennepin.

22. lastmango

lastmango Champion (839) Dec 11, 2014 Pennsylvania

Oh yeah . . . How can I forget that one. Just had one yesterday.

Bitterbill and Zorro like this.
  23. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,296) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

Yeah definitely give Leffe Blond shot. And as others have mentioned you gotta give La Fin Du Monde a try as well. Happy hunting

Bitterbill likes this.
  24. fritzfield

fritzfield Initiate (96) Nov 7, 2008 New Hampshire

comme vous le savez. After having one "and I feel fine".

25. officerbill

officerbill Savant (968) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

I can't think of any Belgian styles that come in 12 packs.
    On the whole Belgian styles from American brewers will be less expensive than imports. Allagash is excellent across their entire line and at very reasonable prices. Ommegang's Hennepin fits what you're looking for. Golden Monkey's label is more Hindu than Belgian but it's a good trippel (sour monkey makes a nice change of pace). New Belgium's Trippel is on the hoppy side. Each of these are readily available in NY and affordable enough to mate it into a weekly rotation.

Once you've settled in with blondes and trippels we can start talking about quads and dubbels

26. socon67

socon67 Poo-Bah (2,574) Jun 18, 2010 New York
    Society

As others mentioned, Ommegang Hennepin, Allagash Tripel, and the Fin Du Monde offerings are reasonable and typically available. I might add Captain Lawrence Xtra Gold, which you can find priced decently at distributors that carry their stuff regularly.

27. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,487) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

La Chouffe can be had near me for about $8/ 4pack, the price to quality ratio is good on that one.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  28. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

Sierra Nevada is an amazingly good value for a world class beer. You might be able to find equally good values on Belgian beers... if you're located in Belgium. Otherwise expect to pay a little more.

Others have made some very good suggestions for Belgian-style beers that are not too expensive. But If you're going to insist on something that has a comparable price point to Sierra Nevada then you're not going to have many quality options.

ChicagoJ and officerbill like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.