Looking for Mining Themed Brews

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Mylesc3, Jul 4, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mylesc3

Mylesc3 Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2019 Colorado

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone can point me towards mining themed brews that individual breweries may be brewing up, and marketing. I work for the National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum, and we may be putting together an exhibit related to it in the future. Anything anyone can't point me towards would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,628) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

4. Beer_Stan

Trader

5. Beer_Stan

Trader

6. Beer_Stan

Trader

7. Mylesc3

Thank you for the suggestions! These are great!

8. sulldaddy

sulldaddy Poo-Bah (4,532) Apr 6, 2003 Connecticut
    Society Trader

This was my first thought. A decent oatmeal stout too. Had it while visiting WV.
    Good luck with the exhibit!!

9. eppCOS

eppCOS Poo-Bah (2,026) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

JediMasterLenin and GreenBayBA like this.
  10. Beer_Stan

Trader

No problem bud, we like to help with all manner of beer related anything here.

Joe13, Mylesc3 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. PapaGoose03

Society

12. Jacobier10

Jacobier10 Poo-Bah (2,558) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Society

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  13. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yuengling put out a series of local historical cans back in the 1970s, one of which was called "COAL CRACKER". (Looks like one can be picked up cheap on eBay).
    [​IMG]
    And the long-gone Columbia Brewing Co., in nearby Columbia, PA., used the slogan "Pride of the Anthracite" (again, eBay has original and repro items).

Probably many more examples from breweries in PA over the decades.

#13 jesskidden, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
    MaltheadWeirdo, zid, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  14. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (4,160) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

You’re probably already aware of the supposed history of the grissete sub-style of saison. The way I’ve heard it told, it was popular with miners in the Hainaut province of Belgium. Grissette means “little gray” — and it’s said to have gotten that name from the dust-covered miners (although some say it’s from the gray dresses of the servers).

eppCOS and dcotom like this.
  15. whatsleftofyou

whatsleftofyou Aspirant (215) Mar 12, 2006 Michigan

Came here to say this. Specifically Pick Axe Blonde and Red Jacket Amber.

16. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Poo-Bah (3,072) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan
    Society Trader

I was hoping a Michigander would bring up Keweenaw.

Also, Great Lakes Brewing Edmund Fitzgerald, named after the famed freighter that transported iron ore from mines in Minnesota to iron works around the Great Lakes region!

17. WV_Charles_Homebrew

WV_Charles_Homebrew Initiate (60) May 17, 2017 West Virginia

I would have shared this myself if I'd seen this thread sooner. They were part of the first wave of WV craft breweries. They are not quite among my favorite locals but they do have two brews that I really enjoy, this one and their Cold Trail Pale Ale.

Mylesc3 likes this.
  18. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,365) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

I'm going to throw out Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald since the Edmond Fitzgerald carried ore.....

Mylesc3 likes this.
  19. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,513) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Always thought this story about the Lattimer Massacre ("Forgotten" according to the Smithsonian Magazine), which was often credited with being instrumental in the success of the UMWA was interesting, and shows how dependent breweries were on working class customers.
    [​IMG]
    According to brewing industry records, there was a "Hazleton Lion Brewing Co." owned by John Arnold, that would be sold in 1897 to Scranton's Pennsylvania Central Brewing Co.

Don't know much about this Canadian brand of beer that featured the union label of the Mine, Mill and Smelter Workers union, the left-wing union of "hard rock" miners in the western US and Canada, which evolved out of the old Western Federation of Miners but there might be an interesting story in it.

[​IMG]

BBThunderbolt and Mylesc3 like this.
  20. Mylesc3

Great little history fact Jesskidden!

Redrover and BBThunderbolt like this.
  21. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,109) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

you will surely get all kinds of great suggestions in this thread. But if you're interested in doing some digging yourself, using the search function on the home page of this site you can search all kinds of mining terminology as well as the obvious miner, ore, mineshaft, gold pan type terms and see all sorts of beers.
    Good luck

Mylesc3 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  22. Mylesc3

Thank you for the advice!!

23. ndepriest

ndepriest Initiate (155) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

Grisettes were originally brewed for miners so I would suggest *ahem* digging up a few of those.

24. MADhombrewer

MADhombrewer Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2008 Oregon

25. Ergalambos

Ergalambos Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2019 Pennsylvania

Breaker Brewing Company out of Wilkes-Barre, PA! It's a small brewery that has been around for 10 yrs and is named for the coal mining history of the Wyoming valley in Pennsylvania. They make awesome beers, including Minefire Jalepeno Ale and Old King Coal Stout.

hillind and Mylesc3 like this.
  26. jasonmason

jasonmason Aspirant (205) Oct 6, 2004 California
    Trader

Auburn Alehouse up here in NorCal has a bunch: Miner's Wheat, Fool's Gold Ale, Gold Digger IPA, and Old Prospector Barleywine. Fits the whole Gold County theme pretty well.

For an out-there one, Silver Gulch Brewing up in Fox, Alaska (about 10 miles outside Fairbanks) makes a Pick Axe Porter.

Mylesc3 likes this.
  27. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Poo-Bah (1,917) Apr 21, 2014 Canada (ON)
    Society Trader

Mylesc3 likes this.
  28. PapaGoose03

Society

Miles, I am a bottle collector and have some of the Tommyknocker and Keweenaw bottles br cans in my collection. You are welcome to have them FREE if you need them for a display. Send me a PM with an email address and we can discuss if you are interested. I have not looked at these bottles/cans yet to see if they are specifically empties from mining-related beers, but I'm guessing that there are 4 from Tommyknocker and one or two from Keweenaw.

Mylesc3 likes this.
  29. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,776) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Here's a label that is currently on a popular auction site being sold from Slovakia. It's from the French brewery: Brasserie Castelain. The label is likely referencing the coal mining industry that was once an important part of northern France.

[​IMG]

30. Thankin_Hank

Thankin_Hank Poo-Bah (1,993) Nov 18, 2013 Texas
    Society

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.