Looks like rust stain in bottom of my carboy!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by PNW_IPA, Oct 26, 2018.

1. PNW_IPA

PNW_IPA Initiate (32) Nov 18, 2017 Washington

Question for anyone that can answer this. I got a carboy from someone today and noticed that it had two little rust stain on the inside bottom. I used PBW to clean it out and a carboy brush, then sanitized the heck out of it. Do you think it is still good for fermenting beer or do I have a new coin jar? LOL

2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (385) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Is it a glass or plastic carboy?

3. PNW_IPA

4. GormBrewhouse

Of its clear then use it.

5. PNW_IPA

Sounds good. Yeah I cleaned the heck out of it then sanitized it.

6. GormBrewhouse

Good, always stay as clean as possible with brewing

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,462) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Is the stain gone now?

Prep8611 likes this.
  8. epk

epk Initiate (163) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

The suspense is killing me...

chavinparty likes this.
  9. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (246) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

You could try soaking some CLR cleanser in there to soak and scrub but you will have to make sure you rinse it like a mother cause u don’t want residuals. I wouldn’t use it unless the stain was gone.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  10. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (56) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

Had a rust looking stain on a flask that I purchased , pbw and brush didn’t work , little bit of barkeepers friend made it disappear instantly.

11. PNW_IPA

No the stain is still there, but it is faded after washing and sanitizing it.

12. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,462) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Sounds like it's some kind of chemical stain that's etched into the glass. I have one carboy with a white stain that I'm pretty sure is from barely wet PBW powder that sat on it. But it's on the outside so I don't worry about it. Can't say for sure that your "rust" stain is nothing to worry about, but I'd say chances are good.

13. GormBrewhouse

+1 to vikeman, I thought you said you cleaned it. If the stain exists I'd scrub it again with your cleaner to totally remove it. Sometimes I've had stains on mr glass carboys and poured straight bleach to cover it and let it sit for a week. Might B worth a try if scrubbing does not get it.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  14. PNW_IPA

Yeah I will try that and see if that works. Yes I scrubbed it but there is a slight mark where it was.

15. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,746) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

It will add character to your beer. A house flavor, not found anywhere else. People will be lined up outside your Magic Stain brewhouse. Time to go pro.

16. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (89) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

....and you can charge an extra premium if the stain looks like Elvis.

17. PNW_IPA

Haha. Yeah funny guys. Ask for help and get a chuckle out of your response. I called the guy and found out it was a liquid stain from brewing.

18. GormBrewhouse

Cool, remove it anyway if possible

riptorn likes this.
  19. PNW_IPA

Yeah need to scrub it some more. Let it soak in pbw as it states removes the toughest stains.

20. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (56) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

Again , barkeepers friend man I’m tellin ya !

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  21. PNW_IPA

I will give that a try.

22. minderbender

minderbender Initiate (185) Jan 18, 2009 New York

Well it's a glass carboy right? [Edit: I guess we haven't established what the material is.] So not easy to scrub. I would stick with PBW. The secret ingredient with PBW is time. I've often been amazed by how slow/thorough it is. The gears of PBW turn slow, but they grind exceedingly fine. That said, while I think glass can handle PBW indefinitely, plastic should not be exposed to it for more than a day or two.

#22 minderbender, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
    riptorn likes this.
  23. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (89) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

OP indicated the carboy is glass. If I correctly infer the etching comment by @VikeMan earlier in this thread, PBW could be left for a good long while if not too concentrated.

minderbender likes this.
  24. PNW_IPA

Good to know I don't over do it with the PBW. So yeah I will scrub it and let it sit for a few days. Then scrub some more.

25. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (110) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Got busy but I was going to tell you 23 posts ago to just drop a scotch brite pad inside and use a long stick to scrub it.

PNW_IPA likes this.
  26. PNW_IPA

Yeah thought about that!

27. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,746) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Sorry if my humor attempt backfired. Laughter not always the best medicine, but sometimes I can’t help but share all the funny that is trapped inside me.

There are lots of suggestions of different things to try. Difficult to diagnose what it is, so the solution will come via trial and error. I didn’t see bleach mentioned. It could help if others don’t. Many of us avoid bleach because we don’t want to corrode metal, stain our clothes, leave residues on our gear, and so forth. But I would try a 20 or 10 to 1 dilution if household grade bleach if you haven’t found success yet. Of course you’ll rinse thoroughly when done. One thing to consider is if all these chemicals fail to remove the magic stain (I’ll name my brewhouse that if you don’t want it) it probably will not dissolve and ruin five gallons of beer.

PNW_IPA likes this.
  28. PNW_IPA

Hey no problem man! I am sure it will come out with a little bit more elbow grease. Thanks for your advice!