Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Looks like Sierra Nevada Stout and Porter are dead

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ecpho, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecpho

ecpho Initiate (183) Mar 28, 2011 New York

not on the release calendar:
    https://www.sierranevada.com/release-dates

but now there are 5 year round IPAs plus IPA variety packs also all year round.
    I would have been fine with a year round variety pack with Kellerweis, Stout, Kolsch and Pale Ale.

Sad state of affairs - I believe stout was the first beer they brewed?
    They couldn't keep one of them at least? I sent them an email expressing my displeasure. I know sales were down but if the beer isn't on the store shelves, consumers couldn't buy it.

Brad007, hopsputin, ESHBG and 4 others like this.
  2. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,964) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

They're still on the list of their beers -- maybe relegated to mixed packs now?

I'd say I was sad to not have them available anymore, but it's been a very long time since I've had either.

3. ecpho

If you want a dark beer that isn't adulterated with chocolate, coffee, fava beans, etc - what better to have than SN Stout or Porter?

4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,065) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

@ecpho, a few weeks ago when I took the tour of the Mills River, NC Sierra Nevada Brewery I asked the tour guide: "Do you still make Stout and Porter". His reply was: Yes, but we brew it infrequently." I interpreted this response as the Stout and Porter is not completely dead (yet) but a customer would likely have to make an effort to buy it. For example you would likely have to approach the owner of a local beer store and order a case of the beer.

Cheers!

P.S. While in the taproom I ordered a glass of Hazy Little Thing Hazy IPA. I enjoyed drinking that beer but it was not a Tree House/Trillium/Tired Hands caliber beer.

5. steveh

Guinness Extra? Anchor Porter? HB Dunkel? Honestly, the combo of the Pacific Northwest hops and roasted malts in both beers was always a little off-putting to my palate -- doesn't mean I didn't enjoy one now and again.

GuyFawkes, BruChef, ESHBG and 4 others like this.
  6. ecpho

I just ordered a case of Stout from my local beer distributer. We'll see how fresh it is. I've seen a lot less SN around here in general.

Brolo75, PatrickCT and steveh like this.
  7. ecpho

We'll have to agree to disagree - they were/are classic American versions.
    (and I rarely see Anchor around these days)

LuskusDelph, breadwinner and TongoRad like this.
  8. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (645) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Maybe the stout and Porter can be its own mix pack. I really like the stout but hardly see it around. Last year I ordered a case from my beer distributor and it was over 6 months old. I saw a few six packs at TW that were 7 months old.

Much rather see stout Porter or Keller in mix packs than SNPA. I really don't see the greatness of that beer. I know everyone loves it but it could not drink half of the one I pulled from the winter pack. Just bland and boring. Is it the best seller because it's in every pack or does it sell great on its own?

I would also buy the stout all winter if it was not $40 a case plus tax. At that price I can get fresh better options

I really like all the variety SN puts out but all the IPA is a bit boring. It will keep me from buying their beers.

Right now I have no regular SN go to. Part due to $40 price tag and part to nothing fresh or that interesting. I never see hop Hunter close to fresh, I really like that beer but at 6 month old I pass. Even at 3 mo it's a good beer.

Bring coffee stout out all year. I know SN Bill gave his reason of why not but with FBS all year now I'm pretty sure there is a big market for coffee stouts. Not telling SN how to run its business but going to a year round IPA brewery is not a good move to me.

Back on track , send fresh stout Porter and Keller to Philly and at a better price and I am in all year.

If it's gone then I'm saddened.

Enjoy

ESHBG likes this.
  9. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (642) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I think we'll survive. Plenty of well made basic stouts/porters out there. I recommend the Guinness 200th Anniversary mix pack.

DonicBoom, rronin, Jaycase and 4 others like this.
  10. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,035) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

Especially since the West Coast style stout never really took off on the east coast. And SN makes the best one, to boot.

I hope your case is reasonably fresh. I look at the sixers once a month, and the youngest I see is like 6 months old, which won't cut it for me.

11. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (482) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I always enjoyed both beers. It's a shame to see them go officially, though in practicality I have not seen either around here in a couple years. Out of curiosity I did a beer locator search on the SN website and the closest place with Porter was 50 miles from me and the closest with Stout was 90.

I really enjoy Kellerweis, but buy it infrequently. It's difficult to find and when I do find it, it's usually 6+ months old. I imagine many buyers of stout and porter were passing on it for similar reasons.

I've always enjoyed most SN hoppy beer options, but I hate to see them become a one trick pony.

Premo88, ESHBG, AlcahueteJ and 2 others like this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,035) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

They're different styles that scratch different itches.

Premo88, rronin, Bitterbill and 5 others like this.
  13. HeilanCoo

HeilanCoo Initiate (41) Sep 11, 2014 North Carolina

This would be an absolute tragedy if true.
    Thank you very much IPA-heads. You are effecting a homogenization of the industry.

14. Shanex

Shanex Crusader (706) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Beer Trader

Sorry to see them go if they should indeed be gone. At least I sipped on them before.

Ultimately if they are only available in variety pack, no chance to see them here either anymore, as we mostly get them in single bottles. Interestingly, SN Stout was one of my top rated beer, and pretty close to FBS.

PatrickCT and Troutbeerbum like this.
  15. steveh

Oh, I was definitely talking about my palate, but I agree that they're classic American renditions.
    Hmm. You need to come west, I've been seeing it around at a lot of spots.

AlcahueteJ and tzieser like this.
  16. steveh

I agree with this assessment in that the 200th Anniversary pack has some great beer, but the others are also right in that the SN beers are "different." Unfortunately, it's that "difference" that has kept me from buying the Porter or Stout too much -- and I like Porter and Stout.

ESHBG and Celtics76 like this.
  17. tlema1

tlema1 Meyvn (1,305) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Both solid offerings at nice prices....I agree they would fare better in mixed packs

18. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (312) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This would perhaps be ironic given that many craft beer drinkers' fascination with hops can probably be traced back SN Pale Ale. I know mine can.

There are still a handful of stores in my area that keep a couple six packs of stout and porter around. Though for all I know I've been looking at the same ones for quite a long time.

19. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Defender (656) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Maybe they should just re-label them Black IPAs, that should boost sales...

Seriously though, I can't say I care all that much if they're here to stay or gone. I can't tell you the last time I had either one, and I honestly don't remember what I thought of them. I THINK I liked them...the truth is a solid porter or stout isn't too difficult to find if I want one. I suppose finding them without adjuncts might be a bit more difficult, but honestly I don't think it's that hard. This is probably the reason I haven't really sought either of them out in recent years.

That being said, on principle I don't like the fact that they're going away and Sierra Nevada is continuing to brew more IPAs...seemingly in place of Porter and Stout.

20. MikeP64

MikeP64 Aspirant (211) Jan 24, 2015 South Carolina

I can only blame myself...I always loved SN Stout and Porter...but things changed...barrel aging-adjuncts-old SN Stout seemed boring to me...I'm sorry SN..I'll promise to buy more.

21. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (4,540) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Supporter Subscriber

I hate to see them go but there are so many good beers out there right now it gets hard to decide on which one to try.

22. matthewp

matthewp Initiate (197) Feb 27, 2015 Massachusetts

Seems like they are still in the process of updating their lineup. The release schedule doesn't line up to the "Year round beers" section of their website. So perhaps we'll see what happens really to their stout and porter. To be honest I don't recall seeing either one at the places I shop often if ever. I can only recall having the stout once and it was just ok. I prefer Narwhal and when I see that will probably pick up a bunch. In general though I find their overall lineup a bit odd. I'm not sure what their identity is anymore.

23. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,238) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

I'm sad to say that I haven't had either for a long time. Good beers but I've been drinking a lot of "locals", mostly on draught.

24. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (280) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

Guinness DEFINES stout.

TongoRad likes this.
  25. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,065) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Please report back the bottling date of the case you buy.

Cheers!

FBarber likes this.
  26. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,726) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I hope they're not gone as I really enjoy both but I have to travel about 90 minutes for Stout. I often drink Porter during the cooler months.

27. matcris

matcris Savant (990) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

These two brews will never die, they're just hibernating....for now.

28. Brolo75

Brolo75 Poo-Bah (1,726) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I agree. There are so many IPAs in the market right now and lots of breweries brew around that style. I'm going to miss Porter and Stout if they're truly gone. They should at least throw them in the Winter Pack.

29. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (160) Mar 14, 2007 California

Pump the brakes...

Porter and Stout have not going away. Trust me.

30. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,531) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

Perhaps they'll be tap only for a year or two.

31. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (226) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

But in my area they have been as good as gone for some time.

The Stout is a bit hoppy for a Stout so that was a bit of a niche market and the Porter is good but a little thin and there's others I would reach for first. Lots of nostalgia with those beers, though, and for that alone I'll kind of miss them if they get chopped.

32. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,131) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

If true, this sucks - I really enjoy SN stout

Brolo75 likes this.
  33. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,320) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

34. Urk1127

Beer Trader

I should really drink more pale ale. I wish i can find the white and otra vez tho.

Never had stout or porter. Passed them up upon finally seeing them.

Brolo75 likes this.
  35. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,014) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Glad to see Kellerweiss is still alive...I know it's been on the bubble, but I really enjoy it during the summer.

I still haven't been able to find any of the seasonal canned releases in my area (greater Los Angeles).

Wouldn't mind killing off Otra Vez in order to keep the Porter. I'm not sure either are "mass market"...but I have a hard time picturing anyone other than beer geeks drinking Otra Vez...maybe I'm wrong.... and @sierranevadabill will set me straight.

Just checked my profile...I've had 74 beers from Sierra Nevada (that I've remembered to log)!

36. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (1,986) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois

When you mentioned that it got me thinking that Sierra Nevada had to be high on my list for # of beers had - just using what I've logged on here its second only to Pipeworks which is a local brewery that I love. I drink a ton of SN!

GuyFawkes and TrojanRB like this.
  37. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (241) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

In another thread, someone posted that Bill is no longer with SN and has taken a position at Surly.

38. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,238) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

I had to check too. 84 and counting. :slight_smile:

TrojanRB and FBarber like this.
  39. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,014) Jul 27, 2013 California

Wow, really?

I totally missed that. By far one of the most informative and accessible people on the board from the industry.

40. Urk1127

Beer Trader

Ah ok. Good for him. Sucks for the wanted information.

Andy311x and Hoos78 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.