Loss of Taste Support Thread

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ABrown08, Dec 21, 2021.

1. ABrown08

ABrown08 Initiate (16) Nov 16, 2021 Indiana

So over the last couple of weeks or so, my taste buds have only been at about 50%. Not looking to get into a discussion about the why. Regardless, my regular lagers have tasted like water to me these recent weeks. Anyone else had to go through this over the last year or so? I wonder if maybe there's a specific beer or two that I could try that maybe I'll be able to taste right now compared to my regular Michelob or Buweiser.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  2. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,267) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

You might not want to talk about the 'WHY', but, we all know what the why is. Go see your doctor. Take care of yourself. Beer will be here for you when you get back.

Take care buddy, take care.

3. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (5,593) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

I highly doubt a beer is going to bring your tastebuds back. Its just going to take time and hopefully that sense of taste/smell will come back with time.

4. ABrown08

Oh I'm definitely all good. I'm just trying to enjoy a cold beer or two while my taste buds are still less than 100%.

rocdoc1 and TCgenny like this.
  5. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,267) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

If you must drink, drink for texture. Drink what physically feels good. Personally, I'm a fan of the Body Armor sports drinks. Lots of vitamins and electrolytes.

6. BigIronH

BigIronH Meyvn (1,111) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

I’ll preface by saying I’ve never dealt with this. Well, maybe I have but if I had it the symptoms were no more alarming than that of a sinus infection/cold which plugged me up pretty good and had my taste buds and sense of smell on the fritz for about two weeks.

During that time, I tried to enjoy several high quality beers. None of which tasted like they should have. I was disappointed at my state of affairs. Not only could I not fully taste or enjoy the aroma of the beers, but I realized that the alcohol seemed to be making it harder for my body to fight whatever I was dealing with. The days I would drink, I would wake up feeling worse than before.

Not to be long winded but my completely non conclusive opinion according to only what I had went through; take a week, maybe two off of all alcohol. Allow your body to recover to 100%. After that, maybe things can be more enjoyable. If I’m off base here, I apologize.

Cheers to a speedy recovery.

7. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,246) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I lost my ability to taste anything but a few spices for a month around a year ago. I just stopped drinking, doing my dry February a little early. My buds came stronger and a little different. Craft beer was brand new all over again which was fun. Can't taste it? Don't drink it.

8. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,948) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I'm assuming coronavirus related loss of taste. I had it. Smell and taste came back on their own. There was nothing I could do to train it, this is a neurological issue, not a taste issue. Go to the Dr and get an idea on how to bounce back.

9. MaltyFlannel

MaltyFlannel Initiate (38) Oct 30, 2020 Iowa

I got Covid in December 2020, and my only symptom was complete loss of smell and taste. Didn't get either sense back partially until February, and fully until April. I've notices since then that my sense of taste is really fragile, and will vanish from eating spicy food, drinking a glass of high proof whiskey, or even getting a minor stuffy nose. Which is where I'm currently at. Stuffy nose, boom. No taste. 2nd year in a row I might be tasting nothing over the holidays. Sucks.

10. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,286) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Go to a good beer store that has a singles section so that you can buy one bottle of Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. (The singles section allows you to buy just one bottle without committing to a 6-pack.) It's a popular, flavorful beer and is easily found. If you can't taste that beer, take the time off to allow your body to heal.

P S. If you can taste it and you like it, welcome to the world of great beers!

11. akk14

akk14 Aspirant (222) Feb 13, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I don’t think you lost your sense of taste. The beers you are drinking just taste like water.

12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,949) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

You've got 3 Floyd's. Try some of their beers.

TCgenny, emerge077, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  13. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (7,833) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

Try a chili beer.

Ghost Face Killah should snap your tastebuds back into action...:sunglasses:

14. ABrown08

I had a feeling someone would say something like that eventually. I'll admit, I haven't tried a huge selection of beers. But I absolutely love the beers that I drink. It's almost had me in tears that I can't taste them (as much as I normally can) right now.

Definitely not a fan. I much prefer New Oberpfalz Helles Bavarian Style Lager: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/40185/170717/?ba=BUNZILLA

15. Rollmeaway2loadout

Rollmeaway2loadout Aspirant (292) Jan 30, 2016 Illinois

You are enjoying Michelob & Budweiser. You might want to try German and Bohemian / Czech craft beer styles. Keep many beers in your house and be able to enjoy when you taste are closer to 100%. I heard some people want a sweeter tasting drink when their taste buds fade and drink more soda.

16. AzfromOz

AzfromOz Initiate (22) Aug 22, 2020 Australia
    Trader

Trust me, as someone who lost their taste through cancer, that advice, well-meaning as it is, doesn't help! Eating for texture is highly overrated!

To the OP, I could taste absolutely nothing for six months after treatment, and am back to maybe 70%, with an awful sourdough undercurrent in everything I eat or drink. Water tastes like sour-dough bread to me!

Good news, however, is that life goes on. You'll likely get yours yours back sooner rather than later, and while things might be slightly different afterwards, you'll adjust.

I kept drinking beer once I recovered from treatment because what are the options? Curl up and die? I'm determined to train my mouth to taste property again, just like I trained it to eat chili again (but, boy, did that hurt!). You never know what a core pleasure the simple sensation of taste and everything that comes with it is, until you lose it!

Anyway, best of luck, and feel free to PM me if you want to talk with someone who's been through what you're going through, albeit from a different cause.

Cheers

17. Resistance88

Resistance88 Aspirant (225) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

Or Stone Punishment. Im sure that shits all over.

To the OP try to get your hands on anything from Enegren . You could also just give up beer for a while

18. akk14

akk14 Aspirant (222) Feb 13, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I was just trying to add a bit of levity. In all sincerity, I’m sorry that you lost your sense of taste and hope that you have a quick and full recovery.

19. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (4,124) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I already went through this last year and my solution was to simply stop drinking for a few weeks. I don't think there is much else that you can do. Took about 3 weeks for my senses to return fully.

20. ChuckDundas

ChuckDundas Initiate (20) May 12, 2013 California

Try drinking a beer that has more taste. Mich and Bud have very little taste (to me) as I am a hoppy drinker. Go get a popular Pale Ale like Zombie Dust or Alpha King or Gumball Head Wheat, all made right there in Indiana.

21. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

OP already expressed a dislike for FFF.

22. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (461) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I went through this right after I got done brewing my first pressure fermented, transferred and kegged Oktoberfest. I was beyond to try probably one of the technically "best" beers I've ever brewed. The only thing I could taste during it was anything with a lot of sodium, sugar (but everything tasted like pure sweetness to me, no other flavors) and the heat from hot sauce. I lost 10lbs during it because I would hyper focus on the texture of food and a lot of it ended up grossing me out. So...because this experience was completely new to me, I went around the house eating, drinking most anything to see what I could pick up for flavors. I sampled some whiskey to only be floored that I couldn't detect anything besides a bit of burn from the alcohol. So....when it finally started to return a few weeks later....I still couldn't taste things fully. Thankfully a month after, it was about 95% back and now I would confidently say it's 100% back. I first couldn't detect the hops or malt of most beers and it was a bit depressing. Now, Celebration taste as I remember it tasting, and my Oktoberfest was indeed the best I've made to date. It's almost like my sense of taste is now amplified and I'm picking up flavors I never once did before. My sense of smell is 99% back, however certain foods smell chemically to me to the point where I have to ask my wife if she just sprayed any sort of cleaning spray. Thankfully it's starting to go away.

23. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,936) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Probably best to just not drink for a while. Beer won't help with any healing your body might be trying to do right now. I've heard several anecdotes about zinc supplementation helping restore taste/smell after covid, but never heard any explanation of the mechanism behind that. But, again, drinking alcohol is definitely not going to help the process of your recovery

24. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

I maxed my daily zinc intake along with vitamin c. That's all I did. Monitored O2 levels and my body Temps. I didn't even want beer though. Takes all kinds I guess.

25. CJ7NVRSTK

CJ7NVRSTK Initiate (10) Dec 23, 2021

Love your profile pic! Great bird.

sitting at home on day 1 of quarantine hoping I don’t lose my taste. Going to crack a Westvleteran 12 when my, wife gets home from work.

26. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,012) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

We’ll, that would point to something more seriously wrong with him than Covid.

27. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,056) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

I mean, I dislike most 3 Floyds beers (Robert The Bruce notwithstanding), but I am hop-sensitive and also cannot drink SNPA without it coming off like concentrated floor polish, whereas most pilsners that aren't "stealth IPLs" are enjoyable. So I'm with the OP. :laughing:

I haven't any advice to offer that hasn't been said, as far as taking a break for a few weeks. My chronic sinus infections tend to compromise my ability to enjoy beer while also being prolonged and intensified by alcohol intake, much like someone else mentioned above, so that's all I got. Hope you recover well and swiftly!

Rug likes this.
  28. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,192) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I've been waiting for my senses to return since Jimi Hendrix at The Atlanta Pop Festival 1970. No luck. But I recommend Aventinus Eisbock as a curative..

bubseymour, BigIronH, jmdrpi and 4 others like this.
  29. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Yeah. I said it was neurological.... :open_mouth::rofl::joy::rofl:

30. Resistance88

Trader

Currently going thru this shit now

Some of you prolly noticed something wrong when i started posting IPAS in WBAYDN . Now drinking Tequila. Still cant taste shit
    2 Imperial stouts went to waste ( BA Expy and Northwind by Two Brothers)
    Also can't smell .
    Kill me now

Alefflicted, Rug, BigIronH and 4 others like this.
  31. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Meyvn (1,408) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Hold steady fellas.

It is awful. I am slowly coming back to form.
    It’s been about a week of nothing and I finally started tasting/smelling a bit today.

32. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (3,246) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

That sucks. When my taste came back everything tasted REALLY good, I'm still kind of in a second honeymoon phase with some of my favorite food and drink. Hang in there.

Rug, sulldaddy, PapaGoose03 and 3 others like this.
  33. jonphisher

jonphisher Crusader (739) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

For me it only lasted about a week, hope it’s the same for you. I kept obsessing over when it would come back, I think that made it worse. It was nice to still pick up on bitterness and mouthfeel in the beers I knew well that I had in my fridge. Didn’t drink anything new for a while which made me sad :slight_frown:

You’ll be back soon.

34. Resistance88

Trader

Thank you guys for the responses.

I feel like i am in a nightmare .

I prepare something ( glass of beer , food) and bite/ sip anticipating taste...and nothing.

Only thing i can slightly taste is saltines in bacon and this 80% dark chocolate but veryy minor taste
    Nothing is intense

35. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Guillotine choke work for you? I kid, I Kid.
    Seriously. It sucks. I lost my smell and taste the day after getting crowlers of fresh hopped Superpower from Comrade. It took me 6 weeks to feel like drinking again, however my smell and taste were only fucked up for a couple days. Everything had a generic taste. Things were either salty or sweet. No discernable details outside of those vague flavors. It blows.

36. Resistance88

Trader

Berimbolo got me all fucked up:crazy_face::confounded::relieved::joy:

6 weeks?? Did you not drink for 6 weeks or didnt feel it but still did it.
    I ,too, only pick up stupid flavors like sweet and salty, but i want roasty, peachy,tobacco,dark fruit,chocolate and all that good stuff.
    I even had a fresh double ipa and didn't taste shit, it felt like flavorless butter

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  37. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

I didn't drink for 6 weeks. I felt like shit. The real kicker was I went out to my garden and grabbed a hand full of fresh Centennial and Chinooks, crushed em up and stuffed my nose in and took a big whiff. Couldn't smell shit. That's how I figured out I lost my smell. Load up on zinc and vitamin c. Seemed like it helped get me on track quickly.

Jaycase and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,222) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

My dad lost his sense of taste and smell last January (2021) and it hasn't really returned yet. He's very slowly getting back. He's using a group of essential oils and smelling them blind daily, trying to ID the smells to help teach his brain to smell again. Not sure it's working. He still drinks but says he doesn't buy expensive wine anymore because he can't taste it. Over Christmas he had a World Wide Stout, which he really enjoyed and said he could taste. So maybe the answer is really strong beers.

39. SFACRKnight

Society Trader

Isn't the answer ALWAYS really strong beers?

40. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (2,222) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

I'll take Really Strong Beers for $1000, Alex.