Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Lost Abbey Bottleshare 11/24-Ultimate Box Set Release

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by HaveUSeenMyCellar, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

While the 450 is steep, one persons crazy rip off is another person's drop in the bucket. I have seen people on ebay pay 200 dollars for single bottles of Bleaber or similar. So price is all subjective.

My complaint is with the release party and how people paying 450 a pop were given shelf beer to drink. Also that track 13 bottles were sitting on the bar, but only being poured for selected people. If your going to pour special beer for special people, don't rub it in the face of the rest of us schlubs.

Also not being able to buy a beer at the regular bar like track 12 and drink it in the release area was just silly. Its the track box set release, but we couldnt drink track beers we paid for there?

2. Levitation

Levitation Aug 7, 2009 California

i didn't mind the price for the box set, but i was disappointed with the beers being poured.

ehammond1 likes this.
  3. HopHead84

HopHead84 Nov 29, 2006 California
    Beer Trader

12 12x12 prints with Tomme's handwritten note's on the back of each piece of art.

4. jimmy2282

jimmy2282 Aug 15, 2010 California

Sorry man, I felt like a pecker head after I read that the next day. I was feeling pretty good after a couple pints of (free)Red Barn :) and the bottle share.

I didn't feel like I was entiltled, just a little disappointed and butthurt.

HopsintheSack likes this.
  5. Levitation

the infection for the latter two was traced back to the brandy barrels, not the bottling line. if it were the bottling line, you'd be seeing infection in the regular beers as well (since they pass through the same equipment). to my knowledge, that is not the case.

stone's ba irs was produced on the lost abbey bottling line? news to me - source? i would have guessed it was the barrels and not the bottling line, especially since the infection seemed evident upon release (it would take some time to develop after bottling).

6. HopHead84

Beer Trader

Where did you read that?

7. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

Put an ISO: 9 Rares / FT: LA Box Set

If that hits, it's worth it.

GottaTickemAll likes this.
  8. mrkrispy

mrkrispy Apr 5, 2006 California

is Track 13 a bottle of the Lost Abbey Customer Service person's anger and tears?

9. HopHead84

Beer Trader

So you state "Stone's BA IRS was produced on their bottling line" as a fact but have no idea where you heard it or who said it?

10. ryno09

ryno09 May 1, 2010 California

Through sources at the brewery I was told that Stone had used LA's bottling line for the QM series. But this likely not the reason why BA IRS was infected unless they screwed up the sanitation process.

11. ryno09

ryno09 May 1, 2010 California

Yep, set my pickup time for 1pm.

12. HopHead84

Beer Trader

Interesting. If that's true it's funny to see Stone return to their old location to bottle a beer.

13. MacNCheese

MacNCheese Dec 10, 2011 California

So yes, it'd be a ripoff to you if you're only buying it for 6 bottles.

Drink it fresh, brah.

Then don't buy Lost Abbey beer. Seems to me you're upset with them, so don't support them. No reason for this whole long post of bitching.

Why are you even trying to convince yourself to spend all that cash for only 6 beers that you want?

14. cocoapuph

cocoapuph Mar 4, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

soooo... how was the bottleshare?

15. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Aug 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

all the QM bottles are bottled at stone

16. deathcharms

deathcharms Jul 11, 2009 California

Yea I'm sure Mitch and Greg took time to hand cork 500 bottles per batch.... :rolleyes:

GottaTickemAll likes this.
  17. mrkrispy

18. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

I find it hard to believe that Stone didn't invest in a line that could do corks and cages.

I also find it borderline offensive that if they DID NOT invest in a line that could do corks and cages, they have the gall to charge $25 bucks for a 500ml bottle of BA whatever (which have been of middling quality so far, IMO)

19. MacNCheese

So do you still have to buy a book, or buy a lotto ticket, or join a clut to get the QM beers?

20. mrkrispy

It depends on the beer, but many of them have been for sale at the different Stone locations.

21. tyrsis

tyrsis Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Not anymore it seems. I saw 2010 OG in Bourbon Barrels at the South Park store for $25. The price coupled with the size of the bottle turned me off.

Although I'm more bitter that the one beer I really wanted (BA IRS) was infected. Glad I got a refund, but I'd much rather have the beer :/

22. MacNCheese

Professor Krispy,
    While I work in the Engrish Deptarment here at the fine Institution of Higherer Learned Peoples of Mesa College, I admit I am not one in the School of Beeronomics. Whilst shotgunning Deviant Dales with my fellow Learned Peoples, we can upon the realization of the new skool of Beeronomics, most ostensibly birthed during the Mata Way Revolution. This quiet Revolution may have, in fact, spawned two new thoughts on Tickerism-Exploitism which are: Arthurian Experience and the Devout Kochian. Much later burped forth twas Rueconommiasm. Being of Learned breeding and of heavy liver my fellow Higherer Peoples and I came to the following realizations:

The Arthurian Expierence devolves itself from standard production point pricing for standard products in a most percular manner. Fancy packaging, sometimes sub-par product slap and tickled with a high value has led to a revolution in product price pointing, and that direction is up, Up, UP! Not to be confused with Pixar's Up which has this decades greatest love story told in 8 minutes without a word spoke, unlike that Twighting Garbage. I digress.

The Arthurian Expierence brought us into the $30/750ml flat format as well as beer clubs that were late, delayed and noncommunicative of Sinner's & Saints. Thinking the $30/750ml flat format was the biggest insult to injury ever, the rest of the industry took notice and ran with it. This brings up to Rueconommiasm. As the Lost Abbey clubs withered (much like their customer support, poor Ruby), the Bruery belched forth Reserve Society, where you pay up front for the Right-of-First-Tick to buy more beer later. Following the much loved and now carbonated $30/750ml format. In this game of one-up-brewmanship, corners must be cut! That corner the Bruery found to be pesky was to finish attenuating their special bi-weekly releases. Yeast costs money! They demand pensions and health bennies...so the economy theory is: use less, no OT for those yeasties. By cranking out 1/2 finished beers they can meet their quota of 1 new $30/750ml/12 bottle uber-limit beers every other week. Then topping himself, Rueconommiasm is bringing Hoarders! He's trumping himself!

Henry Ford would be very impressed.

This brings us to the Devout Kochian. Perhaps he of hobo-beard doesn't need a gold plated Honda, or a new annual Porsche. But fear not, special releases are part of the Mata Way Revolution are essential to continued innvoation. With slow sales of some book, it was decided to tie in the purchase of the Quntillium Profit Maximum barreled aged beers ($25/500ml) with paper. Then to improve the Stone karma, they tied beer sales with a charity raffle, which raised many funds for Greg's fellow Hoboians. Much praise...but then less karma with the Stone tri-collabs which have been well priced meh beers...only to be Totally Redeemed with the Best By IPA expierment that is blowing off socks. Of the three Devils, the Devout Kochian is the least offensive.

Lurking and plotting amongst the warehoused barrels a new bigger, better more profitable idea was hatched! The Arthurian Experience shall never be topped! 12 beers, all sold via the brewery at the standard $15/375ml format gets your name entered in the raffle to buy the beer you've had again for $450 for 13 beers! 375ml format as well! And a fancy-pants box to put all your ticker-recipits in! Plus a five minuted planned party with unlimited Helles and Red Barn and for those that are VIPers, a backstage pass for the 1oz pre-tick ratable samples for reviewing on RBBA. Gentleman, the gauntlet has been tossed down, a challenge set forth to develope the next uber-ticker fare at the highest price point ever! We truely live in heady days.

The Fellowed Learned and Higherer than thou peoples bask in the glory that is beer. Liquid gold, verily and readily prys open the lesser people's wallets and drains bank accounts post haste. One can only wonder what Rueconommiasm has planned next while plotting away in the People's County of Orange.

-Thoughts by the Institution of Higherer Learned Peoples of Mesa College
    Office of Mac 'n Cheese

pinkgrenade, HopHead84, Xul and 5 others like this.
  23. mrkrispy

The epic prose flows forth like a joyous spewing river of stomach acids and partially digested burritos. Well done.

24. MacNCheese

At the Institution of Higherer Learned Peoples of the College atop the Mesa, our waterfountains flow with Cantaloons. Acid reflux is a part of life.

25. HaveUSeenMyCellar

HaveUSeenMyCellar Aug 30, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Bottle List.
    Doing the best I can since someone (you know who you are) took all the bottles and the list itself (why would you take my pad of paper and my list is beyond me??? :-(
    If I missed something or misquoted the year of release, feel free to correct me.
    2008 Angel's Share
    2010 Deliverance
    2011? La Crude
    2010? Barrel Aged Santa's Little Helper
    2010 Churchill's Finest Hour
    2011 Churchill's Finest Hour
    2009? Amazing Grace
    2009 Cuvee de Tomme
    2011 Framboise de Amorosa
    2010? Red Poppy Ale
    Veritas 007
    2008? Ten Commandments (Kevin said it was the original)
    Veritas 010
    Veritas 011
    Duck Duck Gooze
    Cable Car 2012 (supposedly only 19 bottles out right now...THANK YOU LOST ABBEY)
    2010? Cable Car Kriek
    2009 Cable Car (which I brough and unfortunately did not get to try...grrrr).

Thank you to everyone who brought these epic beers.
    A special thank you to Arthur, Kevin, Steve, Sean, and the beautiful Kelsey for making us feel welcome and helping organize things. You guys are the best. :)

26. HopHead84

Beer Trader

Was it the older man who was pouring the bottles?

27. Levitation

yes, it was. bourbon barrels. i'm not sure what you're getting at; if the bottling line were infected, you'd see e.g. serpents stout from 2010 going sour.

barrel infections are a bit harder to predict or even prevent; that's why they scrapped the brandy line.

28. Levitation

i don't blame you. i've said for years that if you (general you) are uncomfortable with the risk of lost abbey's barrel aged beers, you shouldn't buy them. what's difficult is that a lot of people continue to buy them and then complain.

with anyone's barrel-aged beer, you run the risk of infection. it's just a gamble one must accept.

nanobrew likes this.
  29. Levitation

i'm not sure what you mean. i'm still a lost abbey fanboy. i think people have mistaken my common-sense suggestions like "don't buy them if you don't like them" or pointing out the double standards against other breweries with qc problems (hair of the dog) for white-knighting.

mrkrispy likes this.
  30. MacNCheese

Just drink 'em frosh!

I stopped buying bottles for aging, whenever a good beer comes out, I enjoy it on the spot. This saves me a ton of cash each year, no need to worry about bottles thus no chasing beer etc... As these breweries get bigger they're making more beer and it ends up on tap more often. "Let go Luke, use the force...."

davelag and cocoapuph like this.
  31. skennedy843

skennedy843 Aug 10, 2009 California

2008 Angel's Share – If I remember correctly it was brandy
    2010 Deliverance
    2011? La Crude
    2010? Barrel Aged Santa's Little Helper
    2010 Churchill's Finest Hour - 2011 Silver
    2011 Churchill's Finest Hour - 2012 Bronze
    2009? Amazing Grace - 2011 it was the 375ml bottles
    2009 Cuvee de Tomme - 2010 or newer, it was in the new bottle format
    2011 Framboise de Amorosa
    2010? Red Poppy Ale
    Veritas 007
    2008? Ten Commandments (Kevin said it was the original) - I think it was 2007
    Veritas 010
    Veritas 011
    Duck Duck Gooze
    Cable Car 2012 (supposedly only 19 bottles out right now...THANK YOU LOST ABBEY)
    2010? Cable Car Kriek - was 2011
    2009 Cable Car (which I brough and unfortunately did not get to try...grrrr)

32. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Lol this is such a rip.

33. cbanker

cbanker Jul 31, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I'm pretty certain the CdT was 2009, it was a 750ml.

34. sil1

sil1 May 19, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Only if they get a "VIP" party

35. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

Hell Yeah!

[​IMG]

DrtyBvrJuce, jp7161, mrkrispy and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe