Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Love hate relationship with Belgian (and belgian style) beers-

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Gregfalone, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Gregfalone

Beer Trader

I love some authentic Belgians beers, whether they be triples, dubbels, quads or strong darks ales, but I've noticed many if them have a taste, that to me, tastes a little bit barfy... Like vomit. Is there something about Belgian yeast that has a slightly vomit like taste to it? The better ones don't seem to have this tinge to them, but I've noticed many of the lesser beers seem to have a slightly vomity smell/taste to them...

2. WYVYRN527

The only beer I've ever had that had a vomit character was New Belgium's Peach Porch Lounger. Funny part is that the rep that sells it to me at the store always rolls his eyes and says "gotta count the puke." Aside from that I can't say I have ever had a Belgian or Belgian-style beer that had any notes of vomit.

3. shwurr

I sortof agree. Its an aftertaste of regurgitated fruit and spice that's sickeningly sweet but with a lingering hint of stomach acids. I've been drinking Leffe lately as a cheap replacement for Duvel (<3) and notice it after a couple bottles on the afterburp.

4. Cozzatoad

Sugars, yeast, sweet fruit flavours. When mixing properly you'll get a great beer, unlucky bottles may have that kind of blah feel

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe