Lucky No. 13: Firestone Walker's Next Luponic Distortion Led by Custom-Grown Hop

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,981) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Paso Robles, CA: The 13th release in Firestone Walker’s Luponic Distortion IPA Series is leading the charge with a new custom-grown hop from Washington’s Yakima Valley.

The story of Luponic Distortion No. 13 began three years ago when Brewmaster Matt Brynildson secured an exclusive deal to plant three acres to a new experimental hop cultivar. This hop is now being used for the first time ever to drive No. 13 with its pronounced tropical fruit and coconut character.

“It was worth the wait for this hop to come on line,” Brynildson said. “The tropical aspect of this hop is really crazy. It adds a distinctive dimension to the aroma profile of the beer.”

Luponic Distortion No. 13 also features a supporting cast of five additional hops. Collectively, these hops provide a unique profile of piña colada, key lime and nectarine, once again showcasing Luponic Distortion’s mantra of “flavors through hops.”

Luponic Distortion is not a single beer, but rather an ongoing series of beers that rotate every 120 days. While the base beer always remains the same, each release features a different hop blend built around new and experimental hops, designed to showcase the growing possibilities of pure hop aromas and flavors without any assist from fruit or other adjuncts.

Luponic Distortion No. 13 begins shipping to all Firestone Walker markets starting this week.

Custom Grown
    The lead hop in Luponic Distortion was developed by Hop Breeding Company (HBC) and introduced to Firestone Walker by HBC breeders Jason Perrault and Michael Ferguson.

“Jason has helped create some of the most exciting hops to come out in recent years,” Brynildson said. “We were out on his farm, walking the test fields and rubbing hops, and this one cross really stood out to us. He asked if we wanted to sponsor a test planting, and we jumped at the opportunity.”

After a handshake, Ferguson planted three acres to the new hop in a test plot specifically allocated to Firestone Walker. Fast forward to the 2018 hop harvest, which yielded the test plot’s first crop.

“It was a great year for Northwest hops, which just added to my excitement,” Brynildson said. “The fruit aromas and flavors were just really popping, and that’s now translating to Luponic Distortion No. 13. It’s everything people have come to expect from this series.”

Firestone Walker Brewing Company is a pioneering regional craft brewery founded in 1996 and located on the coast of California. Firestone Walker’s main brewery in Paso Robles produces a diverse portfolio ranging from iconic pale ales to vintage barrel-aged beers. The Barrelworks facility in Buellton makes eccentric wild ales, while the Propagator pilot brewhouse in Venice specializes in R&D beers and limited local offerings. For more information: www.FirestoneBeer.com.

###

Spikester, Roguer, needMIbeer and 4 others like this.
  2. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (599) Mar 28, 2009 California

I’ve really enjoyed this series. They are clean, perfectly bitter and always good hop flavor and aroma. This one sounds great. I am in.

3. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,792) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I saw this over at my local guys shop, will grab some. I have enjoyed the series so eager to try the next in line.
    Cheers

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  4. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (82) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Trader

I would be really excited to try this hint hint lol

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  5. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

I was going to stop back over to the shop I will grab some.

6. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (211) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I don't think I've had a beer in this series that I didn't really enjoy! Probably my weekend purchase after my pay hits :grin:

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  7. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

[​IMG]

Set a few aside for ya.
    Cheers

8. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

9. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (322) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Trader

Love this series. Can’t wait to try this one. Sounds like it’s a daughter or relative of Sabro like HBC692.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  10. Jasonja1474

Trader

You are the man!!!

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  11. Jasonja1474

Trader

Reading the story and knowing the history behind the hops has got me super excited.

SFACRKnight and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  12. AWA

AWA Aspirant (255) Jul 22, 2014 California

I picked some up a couple of days ago. I love the series, but this one doesn't do it for me. It honestly tastes like a weird pina colada. And nobody wants their pina colada weird.

13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I like the Luponics I’ve tried, definitely going to pick some up when I see it. Unfortunately the 12 will probably be around for another 3 months.

14. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (599) Mar 28, 2009 California

How was it?

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  15. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

It takes a little getting used to. Not your typical IPA for sure. Pina Colada forward beer with a hit of citrus and tropical. At first I was not sure but it sort of grows on you. This is a solid hot weather IPA for sure.
    I can see two sides on this one, you either like it or will completely hate it. I am going with like it, it was meant to showcase new hops and it did indeed.

Cheers

jakecattleco, GetMeAnIPA and nc41 like this.
  16. JBogan

JBogan Champion (831) Jul 15, 2007 California

I got a hold of some a few days ago and am really enjoying it. Well done FW!

nc41 likes this.
  17. nc41

Trader

Thats a lot of tropical flavors to get out of a single hop, and usually with coconut it takes an adjunct. If this is a love it or hate it Hop, perhaps in the future they can find a hop combo that could tame and compliment the pina colada effect. Still I’ll be looking.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  18. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Luponic Distortion No. 13 also features a supporting cast of five additional hops. Collectively, these hops provide a unique profile of piña colada, key lime and nectarine, once again showcasing Luponic Distortion’s mantra of “flavors through hops.”

beardown2489 and nc41 like this.
  19. stevepat

stevepat Crusader (769) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I've had a couple in this series that had some odd flavors. I think it was 11 that had a weird strawberry flavor. I love the project and will definitely get a pack of this one just to show my support for experimental hop breeding if nothing else. All of them have been impressive in their ability to get interesting flavors out of hops

jakecattleco and Spikester like this.
  20. nc41

Trader

Oh ok, I thought they were getting all of that out if a single hop. I’ve liked every one of the series I’ve tried though. Is it a sweet ipa? Those flavor profiles sound like they’d work with a Gose though.

21. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,152) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

As Curly (Three Stooges) would reply: "So do warts!".:stuck_out_tongue:

Cheers!

jakecattleco and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  22. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

Has a sweeter feel upfront but finishes dry so it sort of balances out.

nc41 likes this.
  23. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (150) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Trader

Sounds like people are doing their best to convince themselves that they like this beer.

AWA likes this.
  24. AWA

AWA Aspirant (255) Jul 22, 2014 California

Right? I don't want to work hard just to pike something. I think it's worth trying just because it's interesting, but keep your expectations low.

25. AZBeerDude72

Society Trader

I would not go that far. I think when buying this beer you have to go into it knowing its not a traditional IPA. If you buy this expecting that then sure you are going to hate it. But if your buying it to see how hops can take on different flavors then its dialed in for that. I think with some beers you have to look at them for what they are intended to be, I knew this would be a unique tasting beer and one I would only have a few of.
    Cheers

pjeagles, FatBoyGotSwagger and AWA like this.
  26. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,363) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

From what you all have described about the taste of this one it reminds me a lot of what the Sixpoint Dabble tasted like. Strong coconut notes from the hops with no coconut added. Anyone that has had both care to confirm or dispute?

27. nc41

Trader

There’s a boat load of 12 still on the shelf, about time 13 gets here it’ll be old stock.

28. JackHorzempa

Society

Business as usual at the retailer?

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  29. nc41

Trader

Yep, they rarely disappoint. Just stuck in the mess that’s 4-6 month old ipas.

30. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (3,407) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Society Trader

This was delicious. Somehow, no surprise, FW makes the unlikeliest of combinations work!

31. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (124) Jan 8, 2015 California

I just picked up a fresh six at TJ's for $8.49. Don't hate me, bro!

stevepat and nc41 like this.
  32. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,095) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

I can see it being polarizing for sure. Tried it 3 different times in Paso before/after FWIBF. Its not for my palate and preferences, but it'll definitely appeal to some folks. I opted twice for LD#12 over it, and once for Pivo. It's a great hot weather beer from a flavor profile, just not my thing personally.

Doma likes this.
  33. Doma

Doma Initiate (33) May 19, 2019 California

Yeah, I tried it but at this point, at #13, they all taste similar to me. It's a solid beer but I'd rather have fresh PIVO any time.

nc41, jakecattleco and stevepat like this.
  34. JackHorzempa

Society

Packaged Pivo Pils is no longer available at my local retailers. Can you still find it?

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  35. Doma

Yes, I can see a new delivery about every 2 (best case scenario) to 5 months. The freshest I can sometimes find is about 2mo old.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  36. deanzaZZR

deanzaZZR Initiate (124) Jan 8, 2015 California

This mirrors my experience as well. It's always in bottles. I never see the cans now.

37. Doma

Almost forgot how the cans look like...

38. jakecattleco

Society Trader

I honestly think its been at least 9 months since I've even seen it in my area of Norcal. I'm becoming resigned to just getting it in Paso a case of cans at a time. Its only mildly inconvenient as my current research project is a little over an hour from Paso.

The Lager is all over the place though. I like it, but not nearly as much as Pivo.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  39. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Where are you located? I'm West of Sac, and haven't seen Pivo in a store in over 9 months.

40. Doma

Man, it's bad! Still, you get the good stuff from Moonraker I guess. West of Riverside.

jakecattleco likes this.