Lupulin Extract From Hops

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jaketodd, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaketodd

jaketodd Initiate (0) May 14, 2014 Idaho

I've read that lupulin, in beer, is responsible for a lot of the pleasure gotten from drinking beer. I've also heard of lupulin extract, which is something like pure lupulin. I'm thinking of getting a bottle of the extract. My question is, how much lupulin is in a typical, strong beer, such as Sierra Nevada's Torpedo? That's the beer that I have a 24 oz bottle of each evening. If I do get some of the extract, I don't want to take too much, hence the above question.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

2. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

Cool, I have been curious about Lupulin lately. Not really any answers about extract on my part, but eager to see others thoughts.

My only knowledge of lupulin is that El Cumbre's 'Elevated' is aimed at delivering an intense Lupulin experience, and they are great- delightfully close to overwhelming. The even more intense 'Project Dank' was certainly a blast in a glass, and the more-intense-still 'Father Nelson' was the most flavorful, wild IPA I have tasted.

If I were to guess, I would say that these brews are more oriented around the Lupulin extraction than being overly concerned with aromatics, and it makes for a great change of pace. Check them out if you get a chance!

JJG and kemoarps like this.
  3. jaketodd

Thanks for the recommendations! I'm also very curious to see what others say. BTW, it would be kind of nice to have a zero calories option (i.e. the extract), compared to beer. However, then you wouldn't get the flavor from the beer.

JJG likes this.
  4. BillManley

BillManley Aspirant (222) Jul 2, 2008 Minnesota

Lupulin is the yellow gland of a hop plant in which the hop acids (alpha and beta) and the essential oils can be found. Lupilin glands (glandular trichomes, to be specific) are where most of the brewing value of hops lie.
    It's difficult to say how much lupulin is in a finished beer because typical what brewers want to know is how much iso-alpha acid is in suspension in wort (IBU) which is a measure of bitterness. (NOT hoppiness)
    Alpha Acids are isomerized by boiling (otherwise they are insoluble) but the oils and resins that contribute to hop aroma in finished beers are typically obtained after the boil (or late in the boil) and function as a volatile in beer, never really staying in suspension.
    It's said that lupulin has a mild sedative effect and at one point in time was actually used as a painkiller. I have no concept of how much one would need for that effect, but I imagine a lot.
    Hop extracts are made either through a supercritical CO2 or ethanol extraction and can be VERY expensive (thousands of dollars.) Some herbal suppliment manufacturars sell lupulin which is obtained by sieving-out ground dried hops and is available via pill or powder form.

Beware though, I have had the displeasure of tasting straight hop extract and it is among the most unpleasent experiences in my life. It is extremely bitter (duh) and blew-out my palate for more than a day. Never experienced the powdered or pilled lupilin, but during packing and processing in Yakima, I've had a fair share of the stuff in my mouth from the process and I'm not eager to repeat the experience.

FWIW most brewers use the term lupulin in their marketing materials synonomously with "hoppy." There isn't a process, per se, to get more lupulin into a beer save for just adding more hops. Pellet brewers can get a product called type 45 pellets which has a higher concentration of lupulin per pellet (again, from sieving out lupulin and removing it from the vegetative matter) but that just means your pellets are more potent per ounce, not that your beer is.

-Bill

thatche2, drtth, sharpski and 29 others like this.
  5. sjverla

sjverla Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2008 Massachusetts

My wife was helping me on a brew day at home once, and rightly found with the aroma of the Simcoe pellets appealing. She decided to try a nibble (small, like half a pellet or so). She was pretty (very) unhappy about the result.

6. Guzzle_McBrew

Guzzle_McBrew Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2014 Connecticut

What a cool response! Thank you, that quenched my thirst for beer science nerdery for the day.
    Cheers!

thatche2, zac16125 and kemoarps like this.
  7. BillManley

I've got nerd on lock-down!

8. jaketodd

Would lupulin in pill or powder form get you feeling good?

I have my eye on a particular extract... Do you think it would be a horrible experience? The reviewers seem to like it. Click here for the product page.
    Maybe it just says on the bottle as far as how much to take.

More thoughts?

Thanks all,

Jake

9. BillManley

I have zero experience with anything of this sort, so I couldn't say one way or another. Personally, my perscription would be: Take Two Torpedos and call me in the morning!

10. jaketodd

Haha! Yes, after all you do work for a brewery, and not a health food store =)

I am very happy though that you've been open, and honest. Most company representatives would be like "lupulin extract?? no no no, that will kill you! instead drink our beer!"

but you were honest, and I thank you for that

Anyone else maybe can offer some input about the extract, and how much is in a beer??

Thanks,

Jake

11. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

Sounds like you're looking for weed, OP.

JoshVelez, Gemini6, zac16125 and 2 others like this.
  12. jaketodd

Haha... But weed makes me really paranoid. I know both weed, and hops, are in the hemp family. Also, lupulin has a very similar molecular structure to THC. So, I understand your POV, but this is where I'm coming from.

Jake

13. kylelenk

kylelenk Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2012 Michigan

Thanks @sierranevadabill! I helped found Hop Soda so we deal with a flavor provider that sources our hop extracts (mostly cascade from WA but changes throughout the season due to availability). Still, your insight was incredibly helpful.

As for how we prototyped hop soda, you can try making a hop tea and add some sugar if the taste is too unpleasant. I imagine you'd be able to make a rather relaxing concoction with some leaf hops and a french press....

A lot of the pleasure I get from drinking comes from the aroma of the hops which might be hard to get from just a few under the tongue.

14. StLeasy

StLeasy Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

The high CBD strains, with close to a 1:1 THC:CBD ratio, will cause much less anxiety (and less of a noticeable psychoactive/thought-altering experience) than the majority of "good" strains, which can have up to a 20+:1 THC:CBD ratio.

On topic, has anyone besides Sweetwater (with their new "Johnny Hash") used solid hop extract? Not just lupulin since it has the other aromatic/essential oils; I'd imagine CO2 extraction would be most desirable for strong aroma, versus ethanol which might extract too much chlorophyll. Maybe even a butane extraction.

Gemini6 and SixThousandDollars like this.
  15. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,409) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

StLeasy likes this.
  16. theCoder

theCoder Aspirant (233) Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota

I have used this stuff in a Pliny clone I did. Worked great, in addition to the other 12 or so ounces of hops added through the boil and the 2 dry hoppings. The recipe called for 2 5ml vials/syringes of it in the boil for 60 min. Stuff is strong, just adding one of the syringes I could instantly get strong hop aroma, the second made the whole house smell wonderful.

17. jaltland

jaltland Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2009 Pennsylvania

18. jaketodd

But then why does it get so much praise on amazon (see this link)

19. hopfenunmaltz

If it is the Luplin glands that have not been ruptured, in a grain alcohol, and you dilute it in water as I read in the comments, maybe it is not so bad. Let us know what you think when you try it.

20. jaketodd

I'm still trying to figure out how much to use! =) Like I said, maybe I should just get the damn stuff, and read the label for instructions. Also, is it possible to overdo this stuff/toxicity?

Thanks

21. PaBrewSki

PaBrewSki Initiate (0) Apr 23, 2013 Pennsylvania

Haha I can't stop laughing. Next thing you know some jackass will host the first annual Lupulin Threshold Would Championships. Years later they will find out that the raining champ had been taking Lupulin extract to build tolerance. Trophies will be revoked. It will be a mess.

Maybe I had too much Lupulin in this Hop Ranch that you gave me.

jaltland likes this.
  22. ParkbrauFan

ParkbrauFan Disciple (304) Feb 8, 2014 Iowa

If anyone has never chewed on a hop it is an experience worth trying...Your taste buds will be fried for a day or two. You will then realize how smooth the most hop forward IIPA or IPA tastes. I will never forget it. The guy who had me taste it said my face was priceless. I was even dumb enough to realize it would be super bitter but take that times about 1000

23. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Unsure what you mean by "use". This is an ingredient for a certain purpose, not something you add to your coffee to head into the day with a grin.
    As for toxicity, search for MSDS relating to hop extracts and you will see qualifiers like
    Threshold limit--not established
    Oral ingestion--not applicable
    Very bitter
    Unpalatable

Yeah, just get the damn stuff and try it out yourself. sierranevadabill let on that a good extract is very expensive, but it seems you've found the mother lode for just $8.99

good luck with this OP.

24. derailment

derailment Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2010 Ohio

Thank you for the (NOT hoppiness) thing~

25. jaketodd

One of the reviewers of this product on amazon said he adds it to beer to make it even better, so, actually yes! I think you probably could add it to your coffee and the brain chemistry would do the rest. I'm pretty sure I am going to try this stuff, and I will report on what it does. So... nobody lock this thread please.

Cheers All

Jake

26. BillManley

In fairness, I only know about the hop extract that some brewers use, I have no experience with this suppliment version. Brewers hop extract (rho-iso-alpha-acid, or aroma extracts) can be very, very expensive. Small single tins of the stuff can bitter 2000 Bbls at a time... potent as hell.

27. jaketodd

I got it ordered from Amazon. It has to travel by ground so it will be awhile 'till it gets to me, and then I have to pick it up. Will report further as things develop. Cheers

28. jaketodd

Congratulations

29. alexk307

alexk307 Aspirant (213) Nov 7, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

What kinds of results did you have?

30. Brew_Betty

Brew_Betty Disciple (388) Jan 5, 2015 Wisconsin

Since it's been almost a year since he posted, I'm going with catastrophic results.

31. alexk307

alexk307 Aspirant (213) Nov 7, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

Let's hope not! Very interested in the claims that the lupulin is a major contributor to the relaxing feeling of drinking a hop heavy beer. Might have to order some.

32. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,780) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina

And to think, I always thought the ingredient responsible for a lot of the pleasure gotten from drinking beer was alcohol.

cfalls likes this.
  33. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,780) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina

I can't believe I have never done this. Its getting done soon. I have several month old hop pellets at home in the freezer. I have no whole hops, but the pellets should do, right?

34. hopfenunmaltz

Another thing to try is a hop filled pillow. I had very vivid dreams with that.

gillagorilla and zac16125 like this.
  35. Rcazneaux

Rcazneaux Initiate (0) Jul 3, 2015 North Carolina

I notice that a lot of lupulin is lost while messing around with dried hops. Wondering if anyone thinks it would be worthwhile to gather pure lupulin by shaking bone dry hops over a catch.

LJBart3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.