Europe Luxembourg on Monday 17-9-12

Discussion in 'Europe' started by adkieffer, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adkieffer

adkieffer Disciple (326) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

I am flying to Luxembourg for business and have 3 full days. What bars are a must hit? Mainly looking for Belgian beers as I will be making a short jaunt through Germany and getting my fill there. Also I will be checking a bag back to the States and need to know what bottle shops to look through. Hoping for the regulars as well as a couple hopeful gems.

Didn't have much luck with my searches, just need direction. Cheers

2. ggaughan

ggaughan Initiate (0) Apr 26, 2005 Pennsylvania

Nice to see someone visiting Luxembourg. My wife and I lived there for 3 years although I haven't been there since June 2010 so new bars may have opened since I was last there.

In Luxembourg City there are bunch of bars but none that have a crazy selection of Belgian beers but several that have a decent selection like Orval, Chimay, Westmalle, Duvel and other commercially available beers. The Cactus and Auchan supermarkets have decent beer selections (Belgian and Luxembourgish mainly) and the Delhaize supermarkets have a better Belgian selection.

Mousel's Cantine in the Grund area of Lux City has traditional Luxembourgish food and a few of their own beers including a zwickle which I really enjoyed. Try to get there for a great meal.

If you have time to get over the border to Belgium, I would highly suggest shopping at the Mi-Orge Mi-Houblon beer store in Arlon Belgium. Easy to reach by car if you have a rental or you can take a train from Lux City to Arlon and then it is maybe a 1/2 mile or less walk to the store. Mi-Orge has one of the best selections of Belgian beers in the country in my opinion including a great selection of lambics. He also has a few beers made for him by La Rulles and one by ST. Helene. Chris the owner is a really great guy, speaks English well and is a fan of craft beer. I would check his website www.miorgemihoublon.be for opening times as he is not open every day.

There are also a few pubs in Arlon that may have nice selection of Belgians to try.

Enjoy Luxembourg!

3. adkieffer

adkieffer Disciple (326) Nov 23, 2010 Washington

Thanks for the info! I found a Delhaize store today on accident and bought a case of beers. Drinking a Cuvée Rene right now. The prices and beer are soo great. I may just have to try and get to Arlon. I don't have a car but could train or may try to rent for the day. Especially if I can get there and to Orval in the same day. Thanks again for the advice, my 1 day so far has been great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.