MA Bourbon County Release (2018)

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by state08, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpauldingSmails

SpauldingSmails Initiate (158) Sep 11, 2014 Massachusetts

Gordons in Waltham Main St. used to do this as well, but it seems they are out of the crazy beer game - at least in terms of the queuing up and posting rare releases. They still get good stuff though.

2. SpauldingSmails

They heard about all the bad shit we have said about regular Goose Island beers and sent the Coffee elsewhere.

3. bhatch729

bhatch729 Aspirant (218) Nov 8, 2017 Massachusetts
    Trader

the barleywine is coffee

eb1610 likes this.
  4. muzzy

muzzy Disciple (321) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Bramble is in MA as well...CBC Fenway

5. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (93) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Anyone know a place that's getting the Coffee Barleywine? I'm only aware of places getting Vanilla, Bramble Rye, and Regular. It certainly seems like Wheatwine and Midnight Orange are not in the state (unless anyone's heard otherwise).

6. cskollmann

cskollmann Initiate (67) Apr 30, 2008 Massachusetts

They posted an event on Facebook saying to dress warm and line up at 8am. I don't do lines for beer but in case the info is useful to someone...

7. SpauldingSmails

I might go if there were some attractive co-eds there. Any chance of that? (doesn't really matter, I'm married, but the beer crew is decidedly good natured and male.)

8. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (393) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

I don't think any of last years variants were as good as the original. I'm not hunting this. Will stop by total wine on the way into work. Grab a few bottles hopefully.

eb1610 likes this.
  9. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Aspirant (277) Nov 6, 2010 Canada (BC)
    Trader

I thought this years was great. We tend to get in the zone of wondering how it’s going to age before we even have it. This years version, the heat is subtle. It’s a nice textured beer that I don’t think it going to “improve.” It’s just good now. But split it. Damn. I was druuuunk when I finished it.

AlcahueteJ and 7irondave like this.
  10. dogdrule

dogdrule Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2018 Massachusetts

Definitely preferred '17 coffee to '17 OG but I'm a real sucker for coffee stouts...

Saw RI is getting some Midnight Orange but haven't heard any reports of it hitting MA

11. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (211) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

I’ve heard from multiple retail sources that MA only got Bramble and Vanilla for variants, and allocations were roughly half of last year. So places that got a case each of Coffee AND Barleywine in 2017 only got a case of Vanilla OR a case of Bramble this year.

Meanwhile, New Mexico has places with 10+ cases of Vanilla confirmed, Florida will certainly have random podunk shops with massive drops, and places in NJ have already sold out of all their variants which included everything except Prop and Reserve.

Guess MA just doesn’t drink enough Goose Island to matter to ABInbev.

12. juliolugo

Regarding variants in Mass, that's what I've heard as well. Which is too bad, because I was really eager to try the Wheatwine (couldn't really care less about Bramble Rye and Midnight Orange, and was just somewhat curious about the Coffee Barleywine).

But if drinking more Goose Island shelfies during the year is what it's gonna take to see Wheatwine in Mass...

[​IMG]

thedaveofbeer and AlcahueteJ like this.
  13. bhatch729

Trader

I asked my local packie and they said that they heard MA will not be getting Coffee Barleywine. Also CBC in Nashua is giving tickets away for chance to purchase allotments of Regular, Vanilla, and Midnight Orange tomorrow. Drawing will be sometime Saturday and winner will have a week to purchase.

14. PhilDicarlo

PhilDicarlo Initiate (73) May 6, 2014 Massachusetts

Mass not getting Orange because it’s ABV is higher than AB distributor is allowed to distribute. ABCC would not approve.

15. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (84) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

The line starts at 4am, with people putting down lawn chairs to mark their spot while they wait in their car. By 8am anyone who gets in line might be able to get a variant depending on their allocation, which they have not disclosed. It was pretty funny last year walking in front of the chairs to form a line and seeing everyone get out of their cars lookin for a fight.

16. gclaw4444

gclaw4444 Initiate (84) Jul 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Also this may not be the right spot to argue this, but i get that waiting out in the cold sucks, but if you arent willing to physically wait in a line, then a chair should mean nothing. Like it's 2am now, should i be allowed to just place a chair down at a store, drive home, and then sleep until right before the store opens?

Jaycase and AlcahueteJ like this.
  17. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Aspirant (213) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I was one of the guys who walked in front of their chairs last year, yeah, they were not happy in the slightest. Never doing the line up for bcbs ever again, not worth the hassle.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  18. seanunreal

seanunreal Initiate (135) Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts

Sounds like no coffee barleywine for MA

19. Manfrombelmonty

20 people at TW Everett when doors opened. 1 bramble, 1 vanilla, no limit regular. No waiting, no raffles, no buy six if this to qualify, no drama

JuanFushashi and AlcahueteJ like this.
  20. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (158) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

How much vanilla did they have? Would love to stay in my warm house until the afternoon.

21. juliolugo

Burlington Wegmans was also easy in/easy out. Maybe 8-9 people there at open. Vanilla $22.99, Bramble $22.99, regular $10.99. Had a maybe 2-3 cases of Vanilla and Bramble remaining when I left (1pp of each).

Edit: since the grocery store opened at 7am, but the liquor didn’t open until 8am, the line formed inside, which was nice.

BRYeleJR and AlcahueteJ like this.
  22. Manfrombelmonty

Couldn't see. They had one case on the counter as we walked in. As it ran low, they went to the back and grabbed another, so couldn't see how many they had.

Capt_Quint likes this.
  23. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,941) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Damnit. I just drove by Kappys in Medford, saw the line, saw 21 degrees on my cars thermometer, and kept driving.

24. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (153) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

so basically there'll be plenty of regular around for weeks so no rush. So same as every other year.

25. dpatnaude

dpatnaude Initiate (90) Oct 6, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Was told that variants aren’t making it outside of greater Boston area and if they are it’s few and far between.

26. BRoweski30

BRoweski30 Initiate (67) Sep 10, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wegmans is the way to go. Got to Chestnut Hill at 9, no lines, good prices, everything still available.

BRYeleJR likes this.
  27. DaaaaBeers

DaaaaBeers Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2015 Massachusetts

Wegmans in Northboro has regular and vanilla. Two per person on the vanilla. Not sure of anywhere in central mass that got bramble.

28. AlcahueteJ

Society

Swung by Ball Square and snagged a bottle of Vanilla

29. AlcahueteJ

Society

Oops, nevermind. Sold out of Vanilla an hour ago.

Anyone head to High O’Neill’s? Curious what they have.

30. DaaaaBeers

Stopping by shortly, looks like 13-17 vertical of regular. Hopefully some variants as welll.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I'm at Hugh's. 13, 14, 18 on tap (regular). They have bottles of '18 Vanilla for I believe $48, which isn't a terrible markup for a bar considering MSRP is like $23-$25. Two cases. Still available now.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  32. Michaelpro824

Michaelpro824 Initiate (117) Nov 27, 2015 New York
    Trader

If that ‘isn’t a terrible markup’ then boy do I have some deals for you! PM for your special offers!

Jaycase likes this.
  33. -Rick

-Rick Zealot (519) Dec 22, 2014 Massachusetts

I mean... they own it for $16.15/bottle. $48 seems a bit aggressive..

34. Trull

Trull Disciple (388) Dec 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Colonial in Acton still has about 8-10 bottles of vanilla @$23 as of an hour ago(too rich for my blood) Also, plenty of regular 18, 17, and a few 16’s.

35. bhatch729

Trader

Total Wine in Everett had at least two cases left of vanilla about 30 min ago, sold out of bramble. they also got a couple bottles of 2015 regal rye that was $50 and sold out early

Medford Wegman's and Kappy's both sold out of all variants as well

Fort Point put on insta they had 16-18 regular, 17 barleywine, and 18 vanilla and bramble, not sure of prices, limits, etc

#275 bhatch729, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  36. Michaelpro824

Trader

Not sure how to post a pic but from Binnys in Chicago, prices are:
    BCBS 11.99
    Wheatwine and Coffee Barleywine 15.99
    Everything else 24.99

37. BRYeleJR

BRYeleJR Disciple (347) May 18, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

You guys have been to restaurants before and know how this works, right? A 200 percent markup over retail for a restaurant is pretty well below the industry standard. But when you open one up and sell stuff at cost, let me know.

38. Michaelpro824

Trader

Didn’t realize you were talking about a restaurant selling for onsite consumption. Still steep if youre just trying to taste vanilla (bars are selling 8oz draft pours for $14).

BRYeleJR likes this.
  39. DaaaaBeers

Stopped by Fort Point and grabbed a Bramble. Wasn't easy pulling the trigger on the $40 price tag, but was probably SOL otherwise. Think they have 2 left of Bramble.

40. BearBrewing

BearBrewing Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2017 Massachusetts

Was the only person in line at CBC Newton and snagged a vanilla and reg. Cant imagine its sold out, certainly an out of the way spot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.