Mac and cheese beer pairing

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by nick0417, Feb 28, 2017.

1. nick0417

nick0417 Aspirant (213) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Hi, folks. I'm cooking a big family dinner Saturday night. Slow cooker mac and cheese and garlic bread as the main course with caprese salad bites and warm pita with hummus as an appetizer. Curious about beer pairing suggestions primarily for the main course? Was thinking about a nice old school IPA to cut the richness of mac and cheese, but what about some other options? Thanks!

2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (7,899) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Big and sweet Goose Island Grand Prestige - $9.99 big bottle if you can find it cheap. It's rich and sweet and toffee-like with dark fruit, wood, and spice to balance it and it would be a great accompaniment to Mac & Cheese. Or use it as a dessert beer. Personally I think the IPA would be great with the hummus as a starter.

nick0417 likes this.
  3. nick0417

Thanks, man. Much appreciate the opinion. Was thinking about a nice brown ale with the mac as well, or perhaps a hoppy pils...

4. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Meyvn (1,467) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

I like the brown ale idea. Maybe a Vienna lager or dunkel would be good as well? Or an Oktoberfest if you can find a fresh one.

nick0417 likes this.
  5. nick0417

Right? Was toying with the idea of either Boston Lager or Fat Tire. Figured a classic comfort food dish deserves a classic comfort food to pair...

Jacobob10 likes this.
  6. Jacobob10

Jacobob10 Meyvn (1,467) Feb 23, 2004 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Absolutely. One of those old school IPAs you mentioned in your original post would probably do the trick too.

7. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Savant (960) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I love a good mac n cheese,I would go with something malty and sweet, I like smithwicks.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe