Macro lagers: American vs Mexican

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Reidrover, May 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Reidrover

Reidrover Poo-Bah (4,839) Jan 14, 2003 Oregon
    Society

I am sure this has been done a million times before. But in recent experience, last 5 years . Mexican lagers are far superior.
    I used to drink Pub Beer ( ( 10 barrels), PBR etc.. But they have become so sweet and just cloying whereas the Mexican lagers i like Bohemia, Superior and even Tecate have not.
    Pub beer has gone from great to sickly corn mess..no doubt because of AB. Most on here, i am sure, think there is no difference but there is. maybe because the Mexican brewers seem more consistent?
    No American macro can compare to Bohemia Classica.

2. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (4,626) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Society Trader

I’ll take a Modelo or Pacifico vs any American Adjunct Lager any chance I get.

3. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,566) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

I have my various macro lager favorites and also least preferred options from Canada, US, Mexico and other scattered countries. I'm really not partial to a whole group macro beers of a certain country over another. Just looking at my list or ratings, Estrella Jalisco is one of my favs from south of the border, but I'm also big on Miller High Life, and even Red Stripe from Jamaica. PBR and Iron City I rate very low comparied to most all other AALs. Then pretty much all of the others are lumped into "average" AALs" and would be like splitting hairs to decide which I think tastes better than the other. I can't even say I like all the beers within a macro company better than all the beers of another. AB, Miller, Modela etc. I like some beers within their portfolio and some not so much. Get 4-6 AAL singles from Canada, 4-6 from US and 4-6 from Mexico and have a friend/family set you up with a blind taste test and see if there is a legitimate taste trend preference or you are just letting personal biases creep in.

#3 bubseymour, May 7, 2021
    Last edited: May 7, 2021
  4. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Depends I guess. I’d think some/ most Mexican beers are slower movers compared to say Budweiser or Miller. So fresh might be an issue to some degree. I like a nice Carte Blanca, or Tecate, a few months ago I bought some Modelo Especial, and really fought drinking it. But for the most part if ones superior to the other it’s surely lost on me.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,824) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yes, this has been "done a million times before".

I always recommend Hamm's to folks in these discussions.

Cheers!

6. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

Later this summer, I am intending to do a blind taste testing to answer the following question:

Does Corona Extra live up to its pricing and its advertising and is it therefore better than a random cheap American AAL?

Right now the candidate beer to go against Corona Extra is Hamm's, because Hamm's is the cheapest (less expensive) AAL in the stores here. So, I'm stacking the deck in Corona's favor.

Well, except for one thing... since all those commercials show the Corona in the clear glass bottles on a sunny beach, Corona will be in clear glass bottles and the Hamm's will be canned. I won't, however, set the Corona out on the deck for 10 minutes to allow it to come to proper serving condition! I'm not that mean! :wink: We'll see how it does.

Since I haven't reviewed either of those beers (I did have a Corona or two way back - that's WAAAAYYYYY back) the results will be posted on an upcoming NBW thread and cross-posted on the What’s the Difference? Share your Side-by-Side thread.

7. nc41

Society Trader

I agree, but I’d also add Michelob to a short list. It’s a much different beer than any other AB product, a bit more satisfying in my opinion, a much better mouthfeel than Bud and it doesn’t come across as a carbonation bomb.

8. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (3,001) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Presidente is from the DR, not Mexico, but it always pleasantly surprises me.

I did a side by side with it last week and would happily include it whenever I do another.

SaltofOH, eppCOS, keithmurray and 4 others like this.
  9. nc41

Society Trader

Only had it in the DR, ice cold on a hot day it’s pretty damn good.

10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (8,354) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society

I'm a fan of Victoria after drinking a bottle last week.

11. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Poo-Bah (1,814) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Mexican beer in general tastes a whole lot less like corn to me, than American beers.
    And, I don't like corn in beer.
    My 2 cents.

12. Bitterbill

Society

I tasted no corn in Victoria but do in Modelo Especial and I still do like it. I wish Bohemia would return locally.

LatersFine, meefmoff and nc41 like this.
  13. TommyG22

TommyG22 Initiate (116) Mar 26, 2021 Wisconsin

"I don't always drink beer, but when I do, I prefer Dos Equis". Amber for me though.
    Cheers.

14. nc41

Society Trader

The only all that hits me with that is Rolling Rock. I grew up on RR Pony bottles, and I can’t stand it. The most repulsive AAL on the market, maybe RR Light tops it, as far as the shitty part goes.

Bitterbill and eagles22 like this.
  15. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (452) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I really enjoy Hamm's especially for the price

CBlack85, Squire, HammsMeASAP and 3 others like this.
  16. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Poo-Bah (2,084) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Society

I bought a six of Bohemia Pilsner (new branding?) last week and I agree the beer is good. Since it is a German Pilsner, perhaps not in the same lane as aal.

17. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,566) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Well if you plan to sit down with a Corona and a Hamms, that’s a side by side tasting and bias can creep in. Clearly by what you wrote you already are rigging it...talking about whether Corona is overpriced and selected the cheapest beer on the planet basically that every AAL lover here on BA has already raves about. If you only want to compare those 2 beers, how about you buy those 2 beers and have a bunch of friends over and without telling them what beers you even bought for them pour them 2 glasses blind to sample 2 unknown beers and have them tell you which they prefer. That’s the way to do it.

DCH, John_M and TongoRad like this.
  18. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Poo-Bah (2,084) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan
    Society

I had a Corona Extra King can last night and I stand by my 2.0 rating of years ago. I consider Hamm’s and Schlitz a full 1.5 points better. I look forward to your insight.

HammsMeASAP, MNAle and JackHorzempa like this.
  19. Bitterbill

Society

So, is RR still being brewed in Latrobe or at City Brewing?

20. tone77

tone77 Poo-Bah (7,247) May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Looking at my reviews, I have rated 180 AAL's. Looking at my top 10, well 11 because of a tie, 7 are from the USA, 0 from Mexico, 4 from other countries.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  21. IPAs_for_days_13

IPAs_for_days_13 Devotee (444) May 29, 2020 Texas

[​IMG]

"Mexican" beers always surpass AAL's. Crisper, more flavor, more biting, more exciting. But, thats just my opinion. Drink whatever the hell you want. Cheers!

22. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

It'll be a blind tasting, as I said.

HopHunterCL and TongoRad like this.
  23. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,935) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Bohemia is in a league of its own.

24. Reidrover

Society

Yup not quite a pilsner but way more than a macro lager.
    But can you imagine what Bohemia would have been like to an American in the 70s?

#24 Reidrover, May 8, 2021
    Last edited: May 8, 2021
  25. Reidrover

Society

I like Hamms better than any other AAL..it doesnt seem to change and it is not too sweet. Though i preferred the Golden Draft. But do not see that any more.

26. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,543) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

No. Not since InBev sold the brand to Anheuser-Busch and sold the brewery to City, in 2006. (Some claimed that the deal for the brand gave InBev insights into AB's financial position which benefited them when they attempted the at-first hostile takeover a couple of years later).

[​IMG]
    The US import version was labeled "Ale" in the 1970s - likely due to states like Texas and even California (at the time) which limited beer to 4% abw [aka 5% abv] or less. Though the brewer today says "4.9% abv" M. Jackson's first US Pocket Guide to Beer said it was 5.4% abv in 1982. ("Peeled" foil label scans poorly but you get the idea).

27. nc41

Society Trader

That I have no clue, I assumed Latrobe, but that was back in the day too, I haven’t bought any in over 15 years I’d guess.

Bitterbill likes this.
  28. keithmurray

keithmurray Poo-Bah (1,804) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut
    Society

Why is Bohemia so expensive in my parts?

29. jesskidden

Society Trader

:astonished: I guess that's what AB hopes, 16 years after the brand purchase but the labels give one a big hint as to which breweries Rolling Rock comes out of.
    [​IMG]

PapaGoose03, Bitterbill and nc41 like this.
  30. nc41

Society Trader

Nowhere on there says they even brew in Pa anymore, everywhere but looks like.

31. jesskidden

Society Trader

PapaGoose03 and Bitterbill like this.
  32. nc41

Society Trader

Never had a Victoria, next time buying an AAL, I’ll check it out. Haven’t had a Bohemia in like forever, forgot it even exists, might have to find that one too.

Bitterbill likes this.
  33. Bitterbill

Society

I have to let you know that the Victoria I drank was straight from the bottle. That could have been why I didn’t get any corny notes.

nc41 likes this.
  34. nc41

Society Trader

I’m never opposed to drinking from cans or bottles, I’m far from it has to be in a glass guy.

35. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,359) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

That's when I first got to try it, and at the time I was amazed by how much flavor the beer delivered (while still coming across as bright, crisp and very refreshing). At the time, I thought it was easily the best Mexican beer on the market (outside of the seasonal noche buena).

However, the last time I ordered it at a Mexican restaurant I thought it tasted like pretty much any other AAL. Light, watery and devoid of any interesting flavor. It's not as if a 6 pack is all that cheap, so I can't imagine why I would want to order a Bohemia as opposed to a can of pfreim pils (which is a bit more expensive than the Bohemia, but is a vastly superior beer, IMHO).

36. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (4,935) Oct 14, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Bohemia, as with most of the other imports, is priced about the same as the craft (grocery store) selections where I shop, sometimes even more. But at a taqueria, where it’s the same price as a Corona or Modelo, that’s a different story.

37. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (7,359) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

We always just drink anejo tequila margaritas. The sort of taqueria you have down in California, that just serves cerveza for alcohol, is fairly rare up here. Most places either have a full liquor licence, or they don't serve liquor at all. The places that do serve alcohol, typically have a variety of craft options, along with Mexican AALS. Long story short... I don't ever feel the need to order aals at a Mexican restaurant.

38. moodenba

moodenba Defender (625) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I don't think ABInbev would be too enthusiastic about having their brand contract brewed.
    https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5620008
    According to the story above, Rolling Rock production was moved to AB when they bought the brand from Inbev/Labatt. City did eventually purchase the brewery for its brands. Note that Rolling Rock was sold by Inbev to AB, and AB eventually was purchased by Inbev, so RR has ended up under the same ownership.

Bitterbill likes this.
  39. moodenba

moodenba Defender (625) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I doubt that there is a good way to rank pale, pale lagers. In a lot of discussions on BA personal preference is sometimes discounted. The domestic ones are cheap. If you like the style, try a few and make a decision. In the "old days", I definitely had preferences among them because I had the occasion to drink them at bars, restaurants, sports events, and concerts. Now I don't drink them. If no preferred option is available, I either choose a more flavorful brew or just have a glass of water or wine.

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. eagles22

eagles22 Devotee (452) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

went to the local distributor to pick up a 30 of Hamm's for the boxing match tonight and they haven't been able to get it in for months now. Has anyone else ran it to this problem?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.