Magnify Brewing Company, Fairfield, NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobDB, May 19, 2015.

1. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Disciple (326) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

For what purpose?

2. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,766) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It starts back on page 59 of this thread if you want to read it. It is much ado about nothing.

3. Skartski

Skartski Initiate (22) Dec 21, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

You're right...i just wasted about 5 minutes of my life

IPAPolice and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  4. IPAPolice

IPAPolice Initiate (34) Aug 30, 2016 New York

We all had our time wasted on that one.

It's funny hearing Sammy saying it's much ado about nothing now when he perpetuated it and was convinced it was true then. You got some egg over there....

5. Dreamer57

Dreamer57 Initiate (190) Apr 13, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Well now you replied like that and you know thatll get a response and you guys will go back and forth on and on. Cant you guys just agree to disagree and move on from this silliness

techyakker likes this.
  6. Jdotbrone

Jdotbrone Initiate (118) Oct 5, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

I'm staying in Jersey City for the weekend and planning on stopping by Magnify at some point. Do they typically sell out of cans quickly? Any good food spots or bottle stores nearby? Thanks in advance.

7. Belittle

Belittle Aspirant (294) Oct 17, 2013 New Jersey

Yes. However, one of this cans this weekend came out before so it may last.

If you like rum, whiskey, gin, or vodka. There is also a distillery next door that's pretty good and makes some tasty cocktails.

Definitely check out Cloverleaf while you are in the area. Best beer selection in the area. Wood Stack is also good if you want to try local beer.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  8. kthoag

kthoag Aspirant (298) May 21, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

why don't you guys just meet in person and fight it out so we don't need to listen to the backhanded fucking shade anymore

ColForbinBC likes this.
  9. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (167) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

$5.99 non-HD
    $7.99 HD

troupos40, Brehnert and mendham_mikey like this.
  10. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (118) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

I'm curious as to whether or not they'll sell out Friday. I know surprise, suprise was a double batch, but that did make it into the following week. The beers they released last Thursday also were available into Saturday - I think for froot juice at least.

11. MattyBlayze

MattyBlayze Initiate (124) Nov 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'd pay...if it means I can stop reading the same conversation cycle over and over in this thread...

On a more entertaining note, why do we still have a SD and HD price in 2017?!

SammyJaxxxx and Dreamer57 like this.
  12. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

Up until the last 2 releases, cans have sold out the day of. Check here or Instagram
    I imagine you will be on Route 3 going from Jersey City to Magnify. Kelly's Growlers in Belleville
    http://growler-station.com/find-a-station/stores/?id=9

And Wallington Shoprite
    https://www.beermenus.com/places/29903-shoprite-wines-and-spirits-of-wallington

are not far off of Route 3 and may something you are interested in.

JosephThompson and DEdesings57 like this.
  13. DEdesings57

Beer Trader

Damn I gotta say, since the release, this is the first time I actually sat down and took the time to enjoy DDH Momentary Master and I gotta say it's a pretty damn great beer. My two favorite hops are Citra and Mosaic so I may be a little bias but man this is ones dank, weedy and an oniony DIPA and I totally Dig it!

Like I said, I give credit when it's due, and it's certainly due here.
    [​IMG]

14. nickfern

nickfern Initiate (61) Oct 17, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Less than 3 miles away is Cloverleaf Tavern in Caldwell. I'd swing by there for lunch.

15. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

For anybody headed to Magnify this week,
    Cricket Hill has a limited release of Double Dry Hopped Simnotic being released Thursday. May very well be worth a try.

njcraftguy and dennis3951 like this.
  16. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (729) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I've found that most Cricket Hill's limited releases to be excellent and fairly priced.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  17. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm a fan of Jersey Summer Ale. Last time I was there (admittedly a while ago) they had a Berliner on tap that was quite good.

18. DEdesings57

Beer Trader

Draft only right?

19. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

I believe so

20. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

21. state08

state08 Initiate (139) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Had my first Froot Joose last night and it may be my favorite beer they've done. At first I wasn't sure what to make of it, but by the end I was seriously contempleting cracking my other can.

st9647v3, njcraftguy and DEdesings57 like this.
  22. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

3:45 No line plenty of everything

st9647v3 likes this.
  23. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (508) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Agreed - Froot Joose is stellar - one of their best to date.

st9647v3 likes this.
  24. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

So a trading partner of mine asked me to pick up some cans from this week's release. No lines, no problems everyone was grateful and they even gave me the correct change. Nothing for me to complain about.

I got a 4 pack of smell ya later for myself. I will try it sometime next week.

25. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (106) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey

Just got back from Magnify - a lot less crowded than I expected. Currently drinking the DDH Smell Ya Later and it's a pretty good beer. I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

st9647v3 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  26. njcraftguy

Beer Trader

The releases have gotten smoother each week. Moving the cans to the front of the Brewery made the line move quicker and made it easier on everyone. Once the line is gone - usually 90 minutes or so after opening - its a nice steady flow. If you haven't tried the beers yet take a minute - step up to the bar and see what you think of them first. If you want to come in after work you'll still get cans and most releases cans are now lasting into Saturday for those who can't make it Friday.
    PS: You should have said hello - I don't bite - LOL

DEdesings57 and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  27. DEdesings57

Beer Trader

As someone who goes to every release I second this statement.

I no longer wait in lines anymore and have been able to score cans every week without any hassle.

And even for those who do line wait, they have been flying through the lines much faster as of recent.

This release was at 2:00, I got there at like 2:45-3:00ish and there was no line at all, and it wasn't a mad house either.

Plenty of space to get some pours without feeling claustrophobic and both of the new beers were great, but im bias to Smell Ya later, I loved that beer last time they brewed and I love it just as much if not more now.

28. DEdesings57

Beer Trader

I always considered Smell Ya Later to be New Jersey's version of Hopslam. Mainly because of the fact that the first time Smell Ya later came out, it was around the time of Hopslam's release. And since we dont get Bells in NJ I thought is was pretty cool to have a local alternative, plus Magnify has always nailed Honey IPAs, even since the Pollinator days!

st9647v3 likes this.
  29. SmashAdams

SmashAdams Zealot (509) Feb 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

RIP Pollinator and the Woah series.

jake92691, SMason and DEdesings57 like this.
  30. JosephThompson

JosephThompson Aspirant (229) Nov 29, 2011 New Jersey

The first time I had Pollinator I was taken aback. Like Woah series was unlike any other NJ place when they were experimenting 12-16 months ago. No surprise if they've moved on from these brews but it hurts the portfolio to not have them on offer.

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  31. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Defender (689) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

It's-Dam-Cool fits that category. However, that’s outside of the IPA realm

JosephThompson and hopsputin like this.
  32. njcraftguy

Beer Trader

The line was about normal at 2 - not quite to the end of the building but close and as you stated by 3 there was little or no line. A few times you'd have a small line of less than 10 after that.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  33. IPAPolice

IPAPolice Initiate (34) Aug 30, 2016 New York

Smell Ya Later is really good. Those experimental hops have the craziest smells.

Had Froot Joose and it has a mild tart to it, which is what you want IMO in a sour IPA. Nice summer beer, but I prefer the hoppy lager as my hophead summer beer. Locally, see Rushing Duck CFKM and Industrial Arts/Other Half Hello, Sailor. Magnify has a hoppy pilsner chilling in it's foeder right now, so that might fit the bill.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  34. njcraftguy

Beer Trader

I'm looking forward to the Pilsner as well. BTW - Magnify is expanding their production very soon and you will start to see some different beers when that happens. Some dark beers are coming in the fall and they will have the capacity to do some other things as well. I'm also really happy to see Search back on tap. Wonderful warm weather beer.

DEdesings57 likes this.
  35. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,007) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Thats nice to hear. IMO, they've had some fantastic non-IPA beers and I think they do have a talent for brewing those. As mentioned above, Its-Dam-Cool was excellent (I thought). The black wheat had some real potential as well.

DEdesings57, njcraftguy and VABA like this.
  36. DEdesings57

Beer Trader

"Potential" I thought the black wheat was super solid just as it was!

37. hopsputin

hopsputin Meyvn (1,007) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey

Not saying it wasn't a good beer, I just thought it could have used a bit more (it's been a while since I've had & can't remember for sure what I was thinking, I may have thought it could have used a bit of love in the yeast department).
    Either way I did (and would) order a glass every time I went.

HoppingMadMonk and VABA like this.
  38. SammyJaxxxx

Subscriber Beer Trader

This week's release is Thursday at 4

39. pnutbutr

pnutbutr Initiate (158) Jan 4, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Got a couple 4 packs of Cheat the System on Sunday around 1:45pm. I don't know why these were hanging around that long... it's a solid beer. Wonder if it's just a vacation/summetime thing or if they're finally producing enough to satisfy demand with the weekly releases.

40. state08

state08 Initiate (139) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Work the System wasn't that great compared to the other stuff they've been putting out lately so I assume people weren't in a rush to go out and get Cheat the System.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.