Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Magnify Brewing Company, Fairfield, NJ

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by RobDB, May 19, 2015.

1. IPAPolice

IPAPolice Initiate (41) Aug 30, 2016 New York

It's priced like a stout. 64 oz of a 15% stout for $24 is cheaper than bottled stouts. For local comparison, Alementary has a 9% Stout Launchpad out now that is $15 for a 750ml bottle. That is almost $38 for 64 oz. So ya gotta keep in mind the style when ya see the price.

mumbles44 likes this.
  2. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (169) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I am interested in up up & away. The last version started off really well, but I found that it fell off rather quickly. The irresponsible dry hopping here may fix that.

The pricing on the stout is perfectly in-line (if not better) than the craft beer industry. You have to consider the amount of grains it takes to create a 15% stout (not only the amount, the variety of malts), the coffee, the nibs, and the almonds. Then the price of associated yeast to bring that massive beer down to size. Also consider that the grain is going to absorb a crazy amount of water. So if they want their same target volume, it's going to take extra water and extra associated chemicals to hit their water profile. Also kick in a $1 or two because it's a collab so I am sure horus is getting something there as well. My only issue with this beer is that at this percentage -- i would be surprised if it wasn't ridiculously boozy. Seems better suited for 12oz cans than 16oz. This is extreme, but props to Magnify for trying to change up the types of beers they are releasing lately.

if there is a beer to cry about pricing, it would be the new up up & away. It's $2 over the last batch for that extra hopping. Though I suppose also fairly in-line with the difference in pricing between regular and ddh beers.

Xerlic likes this.
  3. state08

state08 Initiate (146) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I paid $10 for a 12oz bottle of Vanilla WWS recently. $24 for a 4 pack of 16 oz 15% abv beers is completely fine. And I'm normally one to complain about Magnify a lot.

I just hope it tastes good haha.

IPAPolice and Xerlic like this.
  4. mumbles44

mumbles44 Initiate (192) Jan 22, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

all bring up valid points...

now on to the beer!

njcraftguy likes this.
  5. FonyBones

FonyBones Aspirant (225) Dec 19, 2015 New York
    Subscriber

The coffee that's added to the stout sounds really interesting. Any idea where/if it can be purchased?

I'd be curious to try the coffee side by side with the stout.

6. bkov33

bkov33 Initiate (176) Dec 5, 2007 New Jersey

why are you comparing it to bomber prices? your not buying a bomber, your buying a 4pack.

mumbles44 likes this.
  7. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (537) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Its because Stouts are more expensive to make and partly because of this they usually come in a bomber. Point being when you compare Stouts the price per oz is actually lower than most.

8. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Initiate (82) Feb 17, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Also because I can't think of a single other 15% stout offered in this format. What else should be the basis of comparison?

9. state08

state08 Initiate (146) Feb 4, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Evil Twin cans a lot of their imperial stouts, now like Even More Jesus. Its not 15% but its close. Only thing I can think of like this.

nickfern likes this.
  10. nickfern

nickfern Initiate (65) Oct 17, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

That was what I thought of immediately. I have seen Prarie can some variations of Bible Belt.

11. irycu

irycu Initiate (133) Oct 7, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Alesmith Speedway is also along the same lines, 12% and cheapest 16 oz can is $8 around here. So i imagine Alesmith is selling to retailers for about $7-$7.50 a pop. I normally blindly buy 4 pks but would definitely try the stout before buying. Have a hard time believing it wont be incredibly boozy. Unfortunately, and fortunately, im going to Burlington this weekend so looks like i wont get to try this.

12. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,783) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Even more Jesus and Imperial Biscotti Break are 12%
    A 4 pack of cans is $12.99.

JosephThompson and mumbles44 like this.
  13. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

"In addition to the cans available on Wednesday, we have some of this batch resting in bourbon barrels that aged cinnamon and vanilla for a year."

And the barrel aged will be $15 a can?

14. mumbles44

Beer Trader

but per ounce this is still on par with a bomber!!!

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  15. mumbles44

Beer Trader

how's the line?

got stuck in a meeting so going to head to Carton today

16. yossle

yossle Initiate (181) Dec 31, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Never been, but will be in the area on Sunday and was hoping to stop by.

To that end, any chance cans last that long?

17. IPAPolice

Are you saying this is a price gouge? If so, then I can't imagine how you approached the cost of the Alementary stout in that thread......

BTW do you even pay attention to what BA stouts go for these days? Even in your hyperbole, you've hit a number that isn't that uncommon for cost per ounce.

18. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (769) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Why are IPA Police so concerned about the price of Stouts?

JosephThompson and SMason like this.
  19. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

There was a good size line at 5 o'clock. I didn't wait

20. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,263) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

The place was jumping when I arrived at 6:00. Plenty of cans but the keg of the stout kicked fast! I missed last week's release and for me the star tonight was last week's It's All Relative on draught. A reall great DIPA! I'll try the stout later, after I get some food into me.

VABA and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  21. Timmush

Timmush Aspirant (292) Jan 5, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Not always true. Hops in the amount that are used now are way more than grain.and if they are re claiming yeast, the price isn't always more

#3621 Timmush, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  22. msaitta

msaitta Initiate (124) Dec 16, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Anyone try the stout yet? Seems to be getting great reviews on Untappd.

MacMalt likes this.
  23. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (2,263) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Supporter Beer Trader

I'm drinking the stout right now. It's just terrific! Big flavors of dark milk chocolate, freshly brewed coffee, and nuts. I only wish it were 10 or 11% The 15% hits hard. I'm glad I didn't have a pour at the brewery. It's best consumed in the comfort, and safety, of a chair at home!

hopsputin, VABA, FonyBones and 5 others like this.
  24. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

Looks like the stout sold out today. I guess price is not a factor.

Xerlic likes this.
  25. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (152) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

Their releases have been lasting into the weekends, but I guess the stout has more hype.

Dammit I was hoping this would last until Saturday.

26. yossle

Beer Trader

Cool. I'm more interested in the IPAs, so that's no big deal.

Another question, how kid friendly is it there?

27. njcraftguy

Beer Trader

They are kid friendly at Magnify. Of course if the kid is running amuck unsupervised like most businesses that's frowned upon.

28. njcraftguy

Beer Trader

Agreed on all points - just a fantastic beer. I can imagine how amazing this will be in 9 months or so after Barrel aging.

29. njcraftguy

Beer Trader

The price was reasonable, the proof is in the pudding - Draft kicked before 7 n cans sold out a 1/2 hour later.
    BTW - The Stout was the star of this release but both IPAs are very good as well. This version of Up Up n Away is excellent.

30. IPAPolice

Naw, your analysis of stout prices was spot on. You really understand the market. Give yourself some credit.

malfunxion likes this.
  31. msaitta

msaitta Initiate (124) Dec 16, 2016 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I think it was priced fairly for a stout, albeit on the higher end of said range, but I had no issues with with it. If it was any higher I'd probably think twice and most likely pass on it.

32. Xerlic

Xerlic Initiate (152) Aug 26, 2016 New York
    Beer Trader

I drink a lot of Founders Breakfast Stout and Bells Expedition during stout season because higher end stouts are damn expensive and I can't afford to drink those every day. All this talk on the pricing got me curious, so I priced out the price per ounce of YYKM versus stuff that I have in my beer fridge.

YYKM is more expensive than shelfies (as it should be), but less expensive than limited releases and stuff from Prairie and Mikkeller. The price is pretty in line with bombers of Grimm's stouts which is decent since most of Grimm's stouts are quite good.

Anyways, none of this really matters since YYKM sold out. :slight_frown:

[​IMG]

st9647v3, IPAPolice, msaitta and 2 others like this.
  33. yossle

Beer Trader

Thanks. That shouldn't be a problem.

njcraftguy likes this.
  34. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (764) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

35. Brewzer1010

Brewzer1010 Initiate (82) Feb 17, 2010 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Understandably they exist, the point was it's not a common format for the style and because of that it's not off base to compare per ounce pricing to bombers. And not sure about Evil Twin, however some examples (think Alesmith SS) are sold as singles so it isn't apples and apples.

36. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (769) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I don't think price is much of a factor for a new release. If Magnify ever gets around to brewing this Stout again it could become factor.

37. M-Fox24

M-Fox24 Crusader (764) Mar 17, 2013 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Certainly not common, and sorta just poking fun, as I’m sure Brew Dogs has some obscene can well over 20%

Brewzer1010 likes this.
  38. I_can_smell_the_hops

I_can_smell_the_hops Initiate (108) Apr 2, 2017 New Jersey

Magnify really knocked it out of the park with this stout. Really freakin' good. Up Up and Away is good as well. Do Me a Solid was just okay.

njcraftguy, MacMalt and st9647v3 like this.
  39. mumbles44

Beer Trader

great release times for this week it looks like for people to stock up for the holiday

40. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.