1. Join us for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest on Sat, Sept 17 in Portland, Maine. Limited tickets still available: beeradvocate.com/belgian
    Dismiss Notice

Maine Beer Company - opinions?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Jasonp79, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Jasonp79

Jasonp79 May 5, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Well I'm stoked I can get it here in VA....I'll trade ya some nice VA Beach beer for one of their t-shirts....haha!

2. brownswisscow

brownswisscow Feb 9, 2012 Vermont

The problem is MBC doesn't give two shits about anything other than getting paid.

3. Brez07

Brez07 Sep 29, 2009 Maine

As a local who hears a lot about them, I approve this message

jomobono likes this.
  4. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Jan 8, 2012 Chad

Do What's Right.

5. Flashy

Flashy Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

I thought they loved the planet and stuff.

I think their dark beers are excellent. Light beers taste watered down.

6. StylzMC

StylzMC Dec 15, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

well, when its started by a lawyer and a financial analyst... plus 1% going to charity or something, they're gonna squeeze every dollar out of you they can.

That said, love Lunch and Mean Old Tom, i'll pick them up maybe once a month if available. The price is a bit high, but when you're paying 5, 6, 7+ for a pint (or 12oz bottle) of craft at a bar anyway, its not as terrible as people make it out to be.

smutty33 likes this.
  7. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Lunch is completely overrated in my opinion. The beer was not good. If it were $3 a bottle it would have been a let down, let alone the left testicle you gotta ponny up to buy it. Seriously, I don't know what you guys are drinking but this beer, to me at least, was rubbish. Might I add that the one I drank was 18 days old.

There other stuff is solid. I like the stout a lot. However, none of them are worth the price.

8. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Do you consider Lunch a light beer or a dark beer? I only ask because "watered down" is exactly how I'd describe Lunch. It was like 12 oz of solid IPA mixed with 4 oz of tap water.

9. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Wait, you live within 30 miles of the brewery and can't find their beers? I'm not trying to be condescending, I genuinely have no clue. I can find Maine Beer Co. beers very easily down here in Boston.

10. TheMonkfish

I think at that pricepoint if they only sold locally Lunch would collect dust on shelves in some shops in Maine the way their other beers do today in other markets. I'm sure it would sell well in Portland and up through Belfast in decent amounts, but put the beer on a shelf in Ellsworth and that stuff will just collect dust - in some parts of the state there aren't enough beer fans with that sort of disposable income.

That's exactly what Vinny does not want to happen to his beer. So if the good people at MBC want it to move they can just distribute it widely but not send a ton of volume to any one market and it'll fly off shelves. I don't know if this is their business model, but it is one that would work.

Do What's Right.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  11. jomobono

jomobono Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

New Rule: Going forward when ever you write a post saying that MBC prices are too high you must end the post with:

Do What's Right.

12. Flashy

Flashy Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

I like King Titus and Mean Old Tom of what I have had by MBC. I agree totally about Lunch being watery.

13. jaxon53

jaxon53 Mar 1, 2006 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Love Lunch, Mo, and Zoe. Too bad they are overpriced.... Maybe if they were in bombers...

14. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Why does price have nothing to do with it? It should have plenty to do with it. There's comparable, if not better beer available for half the price. Also, do you only drink local beer? That must suck

15. Horbar

Horbar Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Fresh Mo is my favorite from them and always hits the spot. With each Lunch I have I am liking it less and less.

MattOC likes this.
  16. valdieu2

valdieu2 Feb 23, 2012 Maine

That's my point.

17. valdieu2

Before Craft Brewers Guild got involved, the beer did fly off the shelves in Maine. Now it's just an empty place on the shelf.

18. valdieu2

And that's got nothing to do with it being good or bad. Quality and value are two different things. No, I do not drink only local, but if I did why would that suck?

19. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

Because you would be missing lots of great beers and locally distributed NE beers are pretty mediocre to bad for the most part.

20. TheMonkfish

Maybe you could trade for it? You could probability offer a growler of Oxbow for a few bottles of MA/NY/NH Lunch.

Do What's Right.

SunDevilBeer likes this.
  21. ScottieD

ScottieD Jul 30, 2011 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Agree they are pricey, but I love Maine Brewing's beers. Lunch is phenomenal. I think they make tremendous beers--haven't had a bad one yet and I have been grateful to have tried everything they make. I know the cost is significant, but that won't stop me from buying their beers, especially Lunch.

Davl22 and valdieu2 like this.
  22. celfan

celfan Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

sounds like my visit to Bell's

23. Lukaduke

Lukaduke May 22, 2012 Maine

Just finished drinking my second Another One and its got a strange cherry hall's cough drop finish that is very off putting... anyone else get that from tis beer ? Didn't notice it in the Weez but thought wasn't blown away by that beer either.

24. ColdOne

ColdOne Jan 19, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Got a chance to visit the new taproom yesterday, and the servers were fine. Not overly friendly, but fine.Odd place with the blank canvases. Maybe it's symbolic.

Great beer, for sure. Loved that they had collaborations to taste and a pot brew. Everything was balances and delish.

25. TheMonkfish

Was the not so tall "too cool for the room" guy there? He was awesome and totally helpful at the old brewery (and a great rep at ACBF 2012.)

As for the space, perhaps they need pictures from other breweries for inspiration on their decor. What does Russian River look like inside?

Do What's Right.

I have a bottle of "Another One" in my fridge. Since it's new I decided to try it. I really hope that they Do What's Right.

Do What's Right.

jomobono likes this.
  26. garylite

garylite Oct 28, 2010 Connecticut

Spent 4th July weekend 20 miles from Portland and the old brewery. Went to 4 stores that always had MBC in past. None had anything but Mo and Titus which I can buy in any store in CT.
    When in Maine every 4th I expect to swim in a cold clean lake, eat Lobster Rolls and drink a bunch of Lunch and Zoe. Sounds like I will have to change my family 4th trip to Viginia Beach eventhough the food sucks and the water is dirty. On second thought screw MBC and their smug preachy bullshit. Their wind energy and recycled whatever is offset by the carbon footprint created shipping to VA. Oh and there is a value they should have learned along the way. Loyalty.

tehzachatak and valdieu2 like this.
  27. Brez07

Brez07 Sep 29, 2009 Maine

What the fuck is going on here?

valdieu2 likes this.
  28. CoolEthan

CoolEthan Jan 9, 2013 California

I've tried Lunch, Mo & Peeper. They were all delicious. A real treat for us folks in Southern California.

valdieu2 likes this.
  29. valdieu2

It isn't MBC where the Problem lies but with the distributors. Once it leaves Freeport, MBC has no control over where it goes. One more reason why the 3 tier system sucks.

dasenebler likes this.
  30. valdieu2

I can't believe that nobody has jumped on this. " NE beers are pretty mediocre to bad for the most part." Allagash,Oxbow,Marshall Wharf,MBC,Baxter,Alchemist,Lawsons,HF,PrettyThings,NEBC,Cambridge,Jack'sAbbey,Smuttynose,Portsmouth and a whole lot more. Give me a break.

31. Horbar

Horbar Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Also, Tree House Brewing, Wormtown, Trillium, and Blue Lobster are also top notch!

32. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

I guess this is fair. Eli Cannon's in Middletown, CT serves their beer at $8-$10 a pint, so seeing a bottle for $6-7 seems like a deal.

33. PenningtonNY10

PenningtonNY10 Nov 20, 2009 Connecticut

Change of topic (I haven't read whole thread): how much do you guys pay for Maine Beer Co. on tap?

34. Jnorton00

Jnorton00 Apr 13, 2007 Massachusetts

And 6 of those aren't distributed anywhere or are only sent to a couple shops or bars. Thats what in talking about. There is more shitty beer from Mass that I can buy in a store than good beer from mass.

35. messrock

messrock Dec 9, 2010 Massachusetts

MBC chooses how much to send to each distributor they selected to work with in each market they chose to go in to. That's how it works, unless they use an Importer like Shelton or 12% to handle everything.

36. pjl44

pjl44 Oct 3, 2008 Massachusetts

Boston area generally $8-9 for 12oz.

37. tehzachatak

tehzachatak Sep 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Way too much for Peeper, which should be (for what it is) like $5 for a full pint or even imperial pint. I think I paid $10 for a tulip of it at Sunset which is an absolute joke - I have no idea why I did that. Last time I got Lunch on tap I think it was $7.50 for one of those MBC glasses, which is like 13 oz. I thought that was sorta reasonable compared to what their beers normally cost.. but yeah, I'm 100% done with MBC, and this is coming from a guy who would have told you they were his favorite brewery a couple years ago, AND counts MO as his favorite bottled pale ale ever. If I see a new beer from them I haven't tried on the shelf, maybe I'll buy it, but otherwise...

Do What's Right.

38. cjs61679

cjs61679 Jun 3, 2013 Massachusetts

Is it just me or is there something inconsistent between these two quotes "Sorry, but don't buy it and shut the fuck up" and "I'm not trying to offend anybody"?

39. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

~700 miles away and the beers we get from them including Lunch are a week old when they arrive. So fresh and delicious.

You so mad.

:p

LostTraveler likes this.
  40. TheMonkfish

Yep - the last time I had it on tap it was $8 for a 10 oz pour. The keg was kicked in 4 hours. People come out of the woodwork to get the stuff - it certainly has drawing power.

Do What's Right.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe