Making a trip to VA, looking for beer spots

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by biercycle, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. biercycle

biercycle Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

I am going on a trip to western Virginia (NOT West Virginia) and am wondering if the BA community has any suggestions on good places to get beer, hidden gems, etc. I will primarily be in the Luray/Shenandoah area. Coming from Philly, I cant imagine that beer is more scarce or more expensive in VA so I figured I might do a little looking.

I, not being from the East Coast, was told that western Virginia is near bourbon county and that I should try to get some good bourbon. I know this isnt Bourbon Advocate, but does anyone have some suggestions on types/brands of bourbon to look for or try? I am not much of a bourbon person myself but am open minded.

Thank you oh wise and powerful beer advocates!

2. sammy806

sammy806 Aspirant (257) Feb 29, 2008 Maryland

Don't know how far you're willing to drive but I think that Devils Backbone (Roseland, VA) and Beer Run (Charlottesville) would be worth the drive from Luray (about 1.5 hours, give or take).

3. El_Zilcho

El_Zilcho Initiate (0) May 3, 2012 Virginia

They would be worth the drive, but I would definitely hit up Blue Mountain also, and Wild Wolf since its right there. I wish I lived closer to Blue Mountain, I could see myself spending a lot of time there.

4. jmw

jmw Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Actually the area that you are going into is a bit of a desert as far as shops go. There are several good breweries in the region (really try to hit up Blue Mountain if you can), but good shops? There are some places in Harrisonburg, and there are some places in Roanoke, but in between? Not so much.

By the way, that area is solidly central VA, not western.

5. sammy806

sammy806 Aspirant (257) Feb 29, 2008 Maryland

Only been to Devils Backbone in that area and I think they're worth the drive. I'm hoping to head back to the area to check out Blue Mountain. Maybe this fall, the girls can check out the changing of the leaves and the boys can check out the changing of the kegs. Win-win.

6. biercycle

biercycle Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

Yea, being from the west coast my east coast geography sucks; I didnt realize how far over VA actually goes. Looking at the map again, I guess it makes more sense to go with central, or even northern, VA.

More digging turned up a restaurant in Luray that has brews from Devil's Backbone and Starr Hill. I definitely plan to hit that up. Thank you for the suggestions. Now the ever familiar pitch to the wife to hit up one of those other spots "on the way" :wink:.

7. codysjb

codysjb Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2010 Prince Edward Island (Canada)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.