Mammoth Brewing in Mammoth Lake, CA

Discussion in 'US - West' started by towelboy02, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. towelboy02

towelboy02 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2014 California

Has anybody visited Mammoth Brewing in Mammoth Lake, CA? I'm heading to Mammoth Mountain the weekend of President's Day and wanted to give it a try.

Any favorites or tips?

2. Kenny_Powers

Kenny_Powers Initiate (21) Feb 19, 2016 California

It's fine, depending on what you like. Good food and location. I was there for the Blues/Brews fest last summer and had some better tastings from Black Doubt Brewing. I know June Lake Brewing is nearby also.

3. redmagik99

redmagik99 Initiate (0) May 15, 2007 California

It's a cool space, beer is ok. They had a coffee porter collabo with Pizza Port called Early Ups that I'd say was their best, but I think that was a one off. Black IPA is solid, saison is easy drinking.

4. obiwan9q

obiwan9q Initiate (120) Jun 20, 2007 California

There's a new place down by the Von's in town called black doubt brewing too. Much smaller space, no food, less parking, but I found their beer to be a bit better/more unique. I got a couple growler and crowler fills of the charmer IPA; didn't care for the stout.

5. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (209) May 1, 2010 California

I love their Double Nut Brown. Hoppy beers aren't that great but they have some other good beers worth trying.

Also check out June Lake Brewing if you can.

6. dcgunman

dcgunman Meyvn (1,335) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Society Trader

Actually a fresh 395 is very good, IMO. Key word > FRESH. On tap at the tasting room is very good. I haven't seen any fresh 395 down here in SoCal lately. Is there a bottle date?

Damn it. I need a road trip to the Mammoth area to soak in some hot springs.

7. Benjolovesbeer

Benjolovesbeer Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2016 Michigan
    Deactivated

Get double nut brown

8. towelboy02

towelboy02 Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2014 California

Thanks all!

9. ryno09

ryno09 Aspirant (209) May 1, 2010 California

I haven't had it in years but I always enjoyed 395 when I didn't think of it as an IPA.

10. Blackcomb

Blackcomb Initiate (0) Jun 3, 2015 California

Head there a few times a year, and always have enjoyed the offerings. Killer food there too!

11. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,789) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

You HAVE to like juniper though, if not no bueno.

12. CAcker

CAcker Initiate (168) Apr 16, 2012 California
    Trader

Do it because it's the biggest place and to say you went but spend more time at Black Doubt and even more time at June Lake. The food truck, Ohana's, at June Lake is awesome. Get the "nachos" if they haven't run out.

13. j47paco

j47paco Initiate (122) Dec 19, 2010 California
    Trader

Slightly off topic, but the last time I was in Mammoth I had a great time at the Clocktower Cellar pub. They had a great tap list with a wide range of beers, including multiple offerings from both Mammoth Mountain Brewing and June Lake Brewing. Great atmosphere.

14. 175doubledrop

175doubledrop Initiate (83) Sep 12, 2009 California

That place was an institution amongst locals back when I was living there (10+ years ago). I went back last year while we were up for a quick ski trip, and the vibe seems to have fallen off a bit. Talking to some friends who still live there, apparently ever since they converted over to a full bar (it used to be beer/wine only), it seems to have lost it's luster and now just is another generic bar like all the others in the village. I tried my first Chimay there back before I even knew what craft beer was.

j47paco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.