Man of Many: 10 Best Beer Bars in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Australia / Oceania' started by Todd, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,979) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

https://manofmany.com/lifestyle/drinks/10-best-beer-bars-in-melbourne

Would love to hear what locals think of this list.

2. hawthorne00

hawthorne00 Initiate (87) Nov 23, 2010 Australia

A bit of a mixture:

- The Alehouse Project is not in Curtin House in the CBD, it's in East Brunswick. Perhaps Cookie occupied that spot and they changed their minds.
    - SlowBeer used to be an excellent bottle shop and is now trying to be a bar as much as a bottle shop. I'm not sure - sometimes they have a beer I cross town to get (recently Põhjala Öö) but it's not somewhere I'd think of to drop in for a pot. Of that ilk, Carwyn Cellars is miles ahead in the North. As is Grape & Grain in the Sth East.
    - BeerMash is pricey but good, Penny Blue same.
    - Local Taphouse is good (and pretty much my local). It's a pub, not a bar - but it's not clear how much that distinction translates for Americans.
    - Westside Aleworks is promising but pretty new. They have some guests and mainly American style hoppy beers of their own that are getting there. Full of digs on a pub crawl when I dropped in.
    - The Catfish - fair enough.
    - Beer Deluxe - nice location but middlebrow.
    - MoonDog - almost all their own stuff, but a good variety and a nice vibe.
    - Boilermaker House seems limited, pretentious and very expensive.

You could come up with another 10-20 with a case to be on this list, but it's not terrible.

Gasc0igne likes this.
  3. Narkee

Narkee Initiate (139) Jun 20, 2013 Australia
    Trader

Mr West in there? I love that venue.

Carwyn is miles ahead of anything in Australia.

Gasc0igne likes this.
  4. Gasc0igne

Gasc0igne Disciple (363) Oct 6, 2013 Australia
    Trader

As noted in part from the other posters - there's quite a bit of factual info/terminology wrong in the article; aside from that I haven't been round Melbourne a little while so I can't comment too much on the current scene.

Hawthorne is definitely correct regarding Slowbeer though, last time I was there was during the transition and oh boy it's nowhere near what it use to be...unfortunately. Also I definitely second Carwyn being there, at least honourably.

To be perfectly honest I'm not usually the biggest fan of these "beer bars", so much "trendiness" and I often get tired of them pretty quick haha.