Man with a sweet tooth needs sweet beers.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Crosis, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Gosox8787

Gosox8787 Jan 24, 2009 New Hampshire

No one has mentioned Avery's Uncle Jacob's yet. Incredibly sweet at that ABV. Definitely in the same realm as Dark Lord and still on the shelf in some places.

2. papaholmz

papaholmz Nov 7, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Barleywines
    Chocolate Stouts
    Barrel Aged Stouts
    Belgian Quads

All have high ABV, but almost all are quite sweet as well.

3. mecummins

mecummins Nov 16, 2012 Illinois

It's worth it. St. Bernardus is one of the beers that got me into craft.

fullmetal1381 likes this.
  4. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Sep 6, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Any doppelbock should do.

5. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Don't drink beer.

Premo88, Crusader and jesskidden like this.
  6. MrDave

MrDave Jan 23, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Victory at Sea from Ballast Point. Very good vanilla imperial porter, but too sweet for me.

7. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

fact: you will not find a sweeter beer than Sweet Horizon

8. MinnesotaMoon

MinnesotaMoon Jan 15, 2013 Minnesota

dark lord
    new glarus: raspberry tart, serendipity, wisconsin red

cannot go wrong with any of these

9. ColonelCash

ColonelCash Jul 6, 2011 Tennessee

Trade Winds is pretty far from being sweet.

10. alysmith4

alysmith4 Feb 11, 2005 District of Columbia

Ever think of giving hard cider a try instead?

11. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Feb 14, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

How about a natural light and a kit kat bar.

12. TheLostGringo

TheLostGringo Dec 7, 2011 Connecticut

Agree, was so sweet I had to Drain Pour it. I don't like things to sweet.

13. Reneejane

Reneejane Jan 15, 2004 Illinois

Kasteel Rouge.

Come on back after you've given a few of these a whirl and give us your thoughts, too!

14. sharpski

sharpski Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Great Divide Old Ruffian is pretty sweet, especially with some age on it.

15. CollegeSauce

CollegeSauce Nov 17, 2011 Oregon

^ yes on the English barleywines. Also i think it might have been mentioned on here earlier up, but Pyramid Apricot Ale is a good beer for people who dont quite like the "beer" flavor. Its the only beer my GF likes and she has much the same sort of palate as you do it sounds like.

16. kojevergas

kojevergas Aug 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Jewbelation Sweet 16.

17. Crosis

Crosis Apr 1, 2013 Arizona

Everyone keeps mentioning this Dark Lord beer. I looked em up and they only sell it like once a year in IL, with restrictions on reselling that beer. How am I supposed to get my hands on something as delicious as that?

18. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

You'd be putting the cart before the horse if you bothered to try. Take note of the styles of beers that are being recommended, do some research to find the best bottle shop in your area, buy some of these styles and explore them one-at-a-time til something clicks. If you had to "choke down" blue moon, don't go hog wild until you know your likes better - or you'll end up choking down much pricier stuff. It would suck if the beer that satisfied your sweet tooth was only available in Vermont during a full moon. That's not a good solution. The poster who said "scotch ale" gave a good suggestion - don't let it get drowned out by all the more interesting ones. Grab an Innis & Gunn if you see one. They are everywhere in my neck of the woods.

Crosis and alysmith4 like this.
  19. Crosis

Your advice I will take it. Off to research and savor some beers, I found a local Liquor store that has a decent variety of craft beers and such so I'm gonna have a look tomorrow and hopefully an enjoyable weekend.

20. Crosis

I'd say something on the light to middle end I'd like to have a good few like 3-7 before getting on the far end of too happy.

21. Premo88

Premo88 Jun 6, 2010 Texas

Lakewood's The Temptress is teaching me that the American Imperial Milk Stout can be VERY sweet ... damn is it good

22. zid

zid Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

If you can find a shop that sells singles and not just full 6 packs, I would recommend buying like that.

mecummins likes this.
  23. BourbonDork

BourbonDork Sep 15, 2010 Virginia

I find DFH 120 to be very sweet.

24. Moose90

Moose90 Nov 25, 2012 Washington
    Beer Trader

Sam Smiths Organic Chocolate stout is the sweetest thing I've ever had

25. Crosis

Well luckily for me I'm off to Phoenix this evening to pickup my youngest brother for a home visit. Which is great since I live in a small town with poor selection. I really hope I can find some Scotch Ales or Barley Wines and Lambics while I'm up there. I'm also gonna pray to run into a Southern Tier bottle or 2 but I doubt it, I did however make a huge list of beers and places to check out for these beers. I have to thank all of you that helped contribute to my list of imbibing beverages over these last few days. Hopefully I'll have a good report this weekend for all of you.

So many beers, so little time.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!