Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

March Beer Spending Madness

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Ri0, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Ri0

Ri0
    Beer Trader

So I have already spent $170 on beer this March and there are still 2 weeks left! My goal was to keep beer purchases around $100-$150 per month this year, but new releases keep coming out right now that I still want to buy...

Anyone else see their "beer budget" skyrocket?

2. bilboTbaggins

yes, can't go anywhere without finding something to buy

3. NooseJustice

Beer Trader

I was doing just fine until I saw that Fat Head is now distributed in Indiana yesterday. I loaded up on Head Hunter and Oompa Loompa

Shmuffalo and creepinjeeper like this.
  4. willbm3

My last month (from late February until now) has been VERY expensive. A couple cases of Heady Topper, a couple trades, some special releases and random beers that showed up in the area (Sucaba, Enjoy By, Plead the 5th, a couple Short's brews)...I don't even want to think about how much I've spent

5. GuzzLah

I spent a lot more than usual in the past 30 days because I ran out of homebrew and it was too cold and snowy to brew in Jan and Feb. I brewed last week, so April should have a much lower beer bill.

6. alucard6679

I walked into bevmo last night to get a replacement tulip (my friend drunkenly broke mine), so I went in there with a single goal and walked out with 60 dollars worth of beer. I should of just gone to world market for the glass, they have a horrible selection.

JohnnyMc likes this.
  7. booyahachieved3

Besides a 6er of AIPA, I haven't spent much. It's been a good month to whittle away at the reserves. Boulevard Coffee Ale hits Tues though so ill have to snag 2-3 bottles of it.

8. tstigz

Probably around $200 for me so far this month. I have enough beer to last me at least six months, though. I don't look forward to summer beers, so my next big expense won't be until wet hop season.

9. UCLABrewN84

I have bought more beer this month than any other month in recent memory. Cheers to my wife finishing school and getting full time employment. :cool:

TheBeerAlmanac likes this.
  10. BeerKangaroo

Weird, but I keep seein' Lagunitas Sucks and as much as I want to buy more, I pick up a single here and there, just today I reached a full six pack, so my dumb a$$ probably could`ve saved money by buying the full sixer in the beginning, Yes, I overspent this month due to poor planning on my part.

11. jtdolla911

Beer Trader

Yea, i got my tax refund and went a bit nuts between beer and homebrew equipment. Oops.

Trilogy31 likes this.
  12. HokiesandBeer

Beer Trader

Actually this month I've spent very little...........spent a lot on Hopslam, Sucks and Enjoy By cases in Jan......had to slow down.

13. mvdillman

Beer Trader

March has been a crazy month. Spent a lot…

14. FEUO

$170? HA!

Just got back from a fam trip to Chicago during march break. CC melting.

Ri0 likes this.
  15. nickapalooza86

Between the case of CW BBBW, 4 pack of DH Double Crooked Tree, Weyerbacker Insanity, NG IIPA, Lagunitas Sucks, Founders OC and not to mention all my normal drinking beer like NG Moon Man, Lag Maximus and Bells Two Hearted the last couple weeks have not made my wife very happy.... Probably at $300 already, but with that said I am good and stocked for the next couple weeks that is for sure!

16. loafinaround

my season is Dec-Feb. bourbon county/ goose island.... finishing up w/ cases upon cases of sucks. Easily $1200 over that period. My wallet is actually GRATEFUL that it's march. I'll be working off my winter haul probably until june :eek:

BostonHops and Ri0 like this.
  17. creepinjeeper

Subscriber Beer Trader

It's crazy how I tell myself I don't need anymore right now and then . . . there it is calling me, taunting me; a beer on my want to try list. Now you're saying Fat Head is just across the border? I am off Tuesday. Looks like a road trip is on and my budget is screwed. Oompa Loompa here I come!!!!

DHS1029 and Ri0 like this.
  18. jzeilinger

Beer Trader

I prefer to brew in the really cold months because I can chill the wort way faster and my beers are more clear. However, a cold garage pretty much sucks compared to the warmer April temps!

To the OP, the first quarter of the year is always the most expensive because of all the annual releases that I really enjoy.

highdesertdrinker likes this.
  19. FishPondManager

Beer Trader

Beer budget???? HAHAHAHA.

I buy beer out of spite at this point. My wife came home with $300 worth of clothes from Justice yesterday for our daughter. All for spring break in San Antonio with the grandparents. I couldn't believe you could fit $300 worth of clothes into ONE small bag.

She dared me to try and fit $300 worth of beer in the same space so I went and bought 10 bottles of 50/50 variants.

Your move WIFEY!

20. Hopsiam14

Beer Trader

I'm out of control too! Between buying for myself and for trades I think I need another job!

21. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Yep been tracking my beer purchases in a Google spreadsheet. $160 so far. I've been loading up on rotating/seasonal stouts lately- expensive stuff like Pt5, Expedition, BA BORIS, Black Note etc just this month so far. So now I have a stockpile of stouts in addition to recently released DIPAs (DCT, NG). Plus my usual sixers of shelf beers like Eddy Fitz. My monthly beer expenditures were just as high, if not worse, last month as I was basically turning my money into CW BB beers, BCBS/BCBCS and Pipeworks.

For some reason, the way I rationalize it is that when spring and summer come around, I have a tendency to drink more shelf beers and/or homebrews which are going to be more "efficient" and have bigger bang for my buck. So thats stuff like hefeweizens and pale ales. Not barrel-aged imperial stouts or porters which have a tendency to be a lot more expensive. I'll have them in a small closet in my climate-controlled apartment available at any time to chill in the fridge for consumption should I desire such a brew. That's how I rationalize it anyway- pay for the big guns up front, drink it later at home instead of getting it for 2x the price on tap somewhere whenever someone decides to tap a keg.

If it helps, I primarily drink at home with other people and don't go to beer events.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  22. YieldToNothing

you fellas makes me feel a lot better about myself...

23. cyrushire

Beer Trader

i just went to Hunanhpu day and left with 2/3 of a case and a car full of goodies so yes, you could say my budget spiked for march.

24. Rainier

Probably spent 100 at firestone, 70 from bruery and like another 70+ from bevmo.
    I'm still new so I only have about 20 bottles in my stash

25. PsilohsaiBiN

Beer Trader

What's a budget?

bilboTbaggins and SammyJaxxxx like this.
  26. bilboTbaggins

I think its along the lines of a new years resolution.

27. ThickNStout

Subscriber Beer Trader

Between Hunahpu's Day, Bruery Reserve Society releases and other anual/ seasonals I've spiked $500+ in March. And KBS, Doom & Dark Lord Day are right around the corner...

28. TheBeerAlmanac

Beer Trader

I handle my beer budget like Obama on government spending.

29. keithmurray

With KBS coming to my area soon, my wallet is already like "Fuck, man!"

30. Smitty1988

Beer Trader

Lagunitas Sucks in a 6 pack by my house for 7.99 is a great price, but when you buy all that they have for trade and gifts,,, it really adds up, plus I had to get thier remaining stock of GUBNA before the formula changes..:confused: Then cases of Stone Barley wine... Yea I have had a spendy month

31. PatriotsRule

Spring break is kind to my ever-deepening thirst, but it's true the deals are impossible to avoid. It's growler season!

32. GuzzLah

I use a plate chiller and rely on gravity for drainage, so I brew on the patio deck and let it drain down a flight of stairs. I could brew in the garage, if I bought a pump or an immersion chiller, but I don't mind not brewing for a couple months in the winter.

33. brewsader

Beer Trader

mustve spent like 500 between boston and vt this week... luckily friday's my bday so i can bother people into buying my drinks this weekend.

34. highdesertdrinker

Beer Trader

Yeah January was a killer and I slowed down a bit in February but I went into Total Wine yesterday and dropped another 71 including two New Belgium tulips so I don't get admonished when I drink Quads from a regular pint glass! My wife was like "wtf don't you have glasses already" but she of course doesn't get it. I also bought a bottle of The Bruery Sour in the Rye for easter and I'm excited to have my first American Wild Ale so I hope it's good!

35. thenamestsam

Yup, my march beer spending is definitely a problem...Unfortunately that gives it something in common with my beer spending in just about every other month.

36. manutdfan

spent over $600 in tampa over huna weekend

37. redelephantdane

After reading this post I realized I was slacking and immediately gave my local shop $80 for some Sour's.

38. Titans77

Nugget Nectar, Palate Wrecker, On The Wings Of Armageddon, Enyoy By, Sucaba and FW 16th. Yeah I'm hurting quite a bit this month...

39. char005

Local bottle shop had out of markets we usually don't see in pittsburgh, rr, loast abbey, and mikkeller. expensive tuesday for me.

40. aasher

Beer Trader

This month has been especially brutal. I've already spent over $300 on beer and that doesn't count DLD tickets or the hotel costs.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe