Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Marinating in Beer?

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by BigCheese, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

How many pints does this take?! :eek:

2. match1112

match1112 Mar 2, 2011 Illinois

4 quarts, but you only need to let it brine for 6 hours or so instead of 24 hours.

3. IrishHockey

IrishHockey Oct 12, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

One thing that I do instead of boiling the marinate is use a slow cooker. I make kick ass chicken nachos that I throw in the slow cooker with a fresh bottle of beer jalapeño, onion, tomato, and black beans. I start it before I go to work and put on real slow.
    By the time I get home the chicken has the marinated taste and dinner is done.

I've used the same method for pulled pork and shredded BBQ chicken when I don't have the time to man the smoker or BBQ. Always comes out fantastic.

4. jbck109

jbck109 May 30, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Damn! Six 22oz beers? That's one expensive turkey, I think I would drink the beer.

sajaffe1 and SpunkyHopslammer like this.
  5. ubermonk

ubermonk Jun 7, 2009 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I like Founders Porter, green onions, salt, some oil, and one or two smoked habaneros for skewered meat on the grill, but it takes a long time for the meat to soak up much flavor. I'd probably go overnight at least if I were doing it again.

I usually serve it with a big ol' basket of grilled veggies marinated in garlic, oil, vinegar, and herbs and put it all on a bed of white rice.

Actually now that you got me thinking about it I'm probably going to have to make it this weekend!

6. Absolut

Absolut Sep 19, 2011 California

just grilled veggies, chicken wings, and a porterhouse marinated in stone smoked porter.

7. LiquidCourage

LiquidCourage Nov 1, 2012 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

For 3 lbs of beef I'll do:

3 cloves of garlic
    3 teaspoons of salt
    1/4 teaspoon of pepper
    7 tablespoons of Rochefort 10

8. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

This is just what I wanted to say too! I made pulled chicken with a Tallgrass that had lost all its hoppiness. I figured, why the hell not? Very pleased with the results. Not too bitter, smelled great, could pick out the citrus... Great use of an old IPA.

9. finsterbaby

finsterbaby Nov 17, 2008 New York

Would you recommend this for beer you're going to braise with as well or is it just for beer you're going to marinade in?

10. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

Nah the braise will boil it off itself. Just toss it in an braise away.

11. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

Not saying you're wrong, but I've marinated with beer plenty without having to.boil the liquid and the meat always turns out just fine. I don't think the alcohol content in beer is high enough to make any considerable "change". Have you had a lot of bad experiences?

Also, freezing beer cubes and then grinding them with your meat while making sausages is a great method for incorporating the beer into the mixture :)

12. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

I haven't had a huge issue with larger pieces of meet, but I've noticed that on things like chicken tenderloins or a smashed chicken breast that the outside of the meat doesn't have the proper consistency. The length of time you marinate it I'm sure is also a variant for this. You are right though that beer is less of a problem. I had a big issue with Tequila and chicken at one point where the outside meat became almost soggy.

13. Noah666

Noah666 Jan 18, 2008 Massachusetts

Besides pale ales and burgers the best result I've had was DFH Fort and venison loins. I boiled the alcohol of the beer first (as to not "cook" it in the alcohol" and set it overnight. It was amazingly good...especially because I find Fort undrinkable.

14. smo

smo Apr 11, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Thought I would share this here:

I made a glaze for our Easter Ham, included 1 can of heady topper, 2 cups brown sugar and some stone mustard I had laying around... Put it on every 30-45 minutes and it came out delicious with the citrusy flavors of the heady topper and sweetness from the brown sugar. I will definitely be making it again next easter!

15. marshmeli

marshmeli Feb 14, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

that is the key there, i usually do not do it, but that is the best approach, esp when using something with a lot of alcohol. I have read this: Alcohol in a marinade in effect cooks the exterior of the meat, preventing the meat from fully absorbing the flavors in the marinade.
    Yet i have a skirt steak in the fridge for tonight in a marinade that includes bourbon, oh well

16. Nuwanda

Nuwanda Nov 8, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Ive used ST Pumking to marinade steaks multiple times before. Its great during the early fall when the Pumking is readily available and its just starting to cool down.

17. Sneers

Sneers Dec 27, 2009 Pennsylvania

Is beer acidic enough to really get the full effects of marination?

18. hopswap1

hopswap1 Apr 27, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

19. Hdredfern

Hdredfern Feb 16, 2012 Texas

I just posted this on anther tread but this feels more appropriate!!:D

When I smoke a brisket I will marinate it with salt, pepper, bbq sauce(home made of course), and Shiner. I know Shiner isn't a great beer but it pairs well with this Texas staple. Throw in some onions in your marinade and peppers (if you want spice that is). Amazing recipe. I have found that if you do not make your own BBQ sauce than try the Dr. Pepper BBQ sauce in this marinade.

20. masonacoats

masonacoats Jul 8, 2012 Louisiana

first time posting on the forums so I figured I'd post a steak marinade recipe I'm trying out right now:

for 2 lbs of steak (I'm using sirloin)

-12 oz. bottle of stout (I'm using homebrewed coffee stout)
    -1 oz. Worcestershire sauce
    -1 oz. soy sauce
    -1 tbs. minced garlic
    -1 tbs. onion powder
    -1 tsp. thyme
    -1 tsp. rosemary

I've also done beer-brined chicken breast that turned out really well:

-1/4 cup kosher salt
    -2 cups water
    -2 cans/bottles of beer (for chicken I like one can cheap macro and one can brown/amber)
    -1 tbs. minced garlic
    -1 tbs. onion powder

21. pweis909

pweis909 Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin

I once made a beer-brined chicken, using a homebrewed smoked dark lager. No complaints.

22. MontereyBay831

MontereyBay831 Dec 15, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Marinated a 3.75lb tri-tip with a full bottle of Pliny. Here's my recipe, use accordingly to your taste. I BBQ alot of meat so this is a solid recipe to use.

3lb+ tri tip
    Andy's Rub.
    Lemon Pepper
    Garlic Salt
    a few drops of mustard
    and a couple splashes of Vinegarette dressing.

(BBQ over charcoal and/or Oak wood pellets)

Put all your charcoal/oak on one side of grill,
    When the coals are nice and ready, sear the tri tip directly over flame for 3 minutes (or until desired color), and flip it over and repeat for other side.
    Once both sides are seared, move it over to the side with no coals with the fat side up. (if un-trimmed). Cooking with the fat side up, lets the juices flow down into the meat.

cook between 35-45 minutes. (depending on how well you like it) and take off the grill and let it sit for another 10.

23. founder26

founder26 Sep 9, 2009 Michigan

INCONCEIVABLE!

24. dvmin98

dvmin98 Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I put a pork tenderloin in a mixture of Blue Moon, orange and a bit of soy sauce. Turned out great.

25. WeizenGuy

WeizenGuy Oct 9, 2014 Florida

So i know this is old but how long did you marinate for and how much beer did you use. Ive got a porter bomber and i wanted to make a nice chicken dish for my anniversary

26. Michael-A

Michael-A Oct 17, 2014 Delaware

The only things I've actually marinated with stout/porter is steak/pork/brat.. all seem to work really well, I'm tempted to try a shredded chicken for fajita with a stout, so far I'm just always too hungry to risk it. I do have a pretty good success rate with other meats though.

27. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Nov 3, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

the best result i've ever had with beer marinating was using Hennepin (a saison from Ommegang) you marinate that with a combination of fish sauce, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, white peppercorn, a little bit of garlic and it is delicious.

28. Genuine

Genuine May 7, 2009 Connecticut

When I make a beef stew, I'll marinate the beef in either a porter or a good stout for at least overnight before using it. Say, half a bottle for the marinade and the other half goes in the stew. What a solid combination of flavors.

29. Dmbphoenix

Dmbphoenix May 17, 2012 New York

2 years ago, I used a bottle of Mad Elf and added it to brisket that I was braising. Made for a nice moist brisket with a touch of sweetness to the meat. I recommend trying it!

JackRWatkins likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer Fest® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe