Masking the sound of the liquid swishing within the bottle?

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by David9, Apr 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David9

David9 Initiate (0) Mar 25, 2015 California

Obviosly no matter how tight you back the box, it does not block out the sound of liquid moving back and forth within the bottle if you shake side to side. One of the bottles I am sending seems to be especially loud (I took it out and compared to other bombers just swishing them and it almost has an echo.

Question is, can I put something in the box that will rattle or make a little noise to cover that up? If so, what do you guys use?

2. kort27

kort27 Initiate (192) Apr 23, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

Best advice - ship the bottles standing up if you can. I always try to do this - no noise whatsoever.

3. David9

I have done 12 packs before and that worked fine. The issue with shipping just two bottles is that the box is going to be more narrow, so the bottles are going to end up on their side. Only way to I guess avoid this would be to use a box thats almost square but then there is a ton of free space in there that needs to packed super tight.

4. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Initiate (0) Dec 21, 2010 California

Pennies in whatever makeshift container (something with solid "dingy noise" walls preferably).

KalH and David9 like this.
  5. AndyEdgar

AndyEdgar Initiate (0) Feb 2, 2014 Illinois

if you have a styro shipper, make sure you pack some bubble wrap in there to make it tight. Double boxing is the quickest way to mask sloshing. Also a $0.30 box of shitty mac n cheese will mask well

David9 likes this.
  6. Gritch

Gritch Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2010 Indiana

Go buy some cotton batting. It comes in a big bag from craft stores. I wrap the bottles in it, and it does a great job of masking the sloshing sound. Sometimes you can get a great deal on it at your local Goodwill.

David9 likes this.
  7. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (2,011) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

Honestly, I would not even worry about it. Remember it is not illegal to ship liquids via UPS/FedEx. I do not like calling any attention to my box whatsoever. Some "noise maker" inside the box is way more likely to do so than some faint liquid. There have been reported instances of boxes not delivering because the driver heard the "noise maker" and thought something broke, opened the box and found alcohol, etc. Just pack tight and send it on its way is my advice.

krustster, cfh64, jrnyc and 6 others like this.
  8. pnelting

pnelting Aspirant (273) Nov 17, 2014 Texas

I recently sent a couple of 750ml bottles and couldn't hear anything once I was done packing.

My method is pretty OCD but works. I start out with what I call a beer cocoon. Which is the bottle bagged and encased in bubble wrap and shrink wrap. The bottles go into the smaller 1st box which is lined with bubble wrap and paper. Any free space is crammed tight with more paper and bubble wrap. Then I double box and the space between the two boxes is filled tight with pieces of cardboard, foam, or any leftover packing from previous trades. I then proceed to tape the shit out of the 2nd box.

You would be surprised how little you can hear when the packing is done right. Also, you have to keep in mind the ambient noise level of the UPS/Fedex warehouses and trucks. It's a much noisier environment than your living room.

Mipper, AndyEdgar and David9 like this.
  9. KidIcarus1945

KidIcarus1945 Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2015 Florida

Exactly.
    If you are really paranoid make a fake company invoice. I got a box one time with a fake logo for "Johnny's sauces and marinades", coolest box I ever got.

cfh64, joecool0909, jrnyc and 2 others like this.
  10. David9

Thanks for all the help everyone

11. mythaeus

mythaeus Crusader (762) Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I use a BBQ company name on the shipping label, pack everything vertical, and don't using any sort of noise masking materials. I am of the crowd that said not to draw attention to your box. No amount of masking can completely drown out the sloshing noise (ever shipped Bourbon County bottles?) and I worry that it would be more suspicious, i.e "Hey, what's that noise? Oh, why is it rattling and I can hear liquid sloshing if I listen more closely?".

cfh64 and youbrewidrink like this.
  12. kort27

Trader

Free space = more room to put newspaper, bubble wrap, etc. in order to cushion the blow when the box gets dropped, kicked, punched, used as a soccer ball, etc. And those things will happen.

Another benefit to shipping bottles upright - at least in my thinking - is that the contents don't get shaken up as much on a (sometimes) cross-country trip. What would you rather receive - a bottle on it's side sloshing back and forth for 2500 miles, or one standing up and no liquid moving around at all? I have no scientific proof to state here, but it must affect the carbonation or quality of the beer in some way.

13. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,170) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Trader

And how do you guarantee the boxes will remain in that position throughout the journey??

I have shipped probably a hundred boxes, sometimes I hear the sloshing, I dont do anything about it, every box I have ever sent has made it with no problems. There is an old saying " if no one is chasing you, don't run".

HugeBulge and ResIpsaLoquitur like this.
  14. kort27

Trader

By adding 40 pounds of sand at the bottom of each box. Of course there is no way to guarantee anything, but I like my odds better.

zekeman17 likes this.
  15. David9

With only 2 bombers the dimensions make it pretty tough to send a box standing upright. If I have a 6 or 12 pack its easier. I'll leave it as is for now. As much as you try, even if you get a perfectly dimensioned box its got a 50/50 chance of staying upright.

16. ResIpsaLoquitur

ResIpsaLoquitur Defender (622) Feb 28, 2010 New York
    Trader

bingo.

17. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (619) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Trader

Put the loudest ticking clock you can find in the box, then nobody will care about sloshing...

But seriously, I'm a fan of the rice/pennies/noodles thrown in method. Works for me

mythaeus likes this.
  18. Thirsty_Moe

Thirsty_Moe Initiate (168) Jul 29, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I go to a local crafts store and get a 30 count of small bells for like $4. I toss a few in each box I send out. If anyone asks I tell them I'm shipping snow globes. Works like a charm

youbrewidrink likes this.
  19. CheChe

CheChe Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

I've known people that toss in a couple of boxes of the cheap macaroni to negate the liquid noises.

20. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

Skip the noise makers. They're more likely to draw attention than any faint sloshing. No one at FedEx or UPS is holding your boxes up to their ears and shaking.

It's so loud when packages are being sorted (radio, ambient noise, conversation, etc) that no one will ever just happen to hear a little liquid in a box.

Trust me, I work for a shipping company.

David9 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.