Mass and VT smaller breweries not to miss

Discussion in 'New England' started by hurleymanvw, Aug 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hurleymanvw

hurleymanvw Aspirant (252) Jan 9, 2007 Georgia

Hey folks,

I am planning a trip to drive from Boston to Burlington and want some advice on smaller breweries along the way that i should check out. I have done countless searches for best new breweries in said states but they don't seem to stay up to date. Please any inside info from locals would be great. Cheers.

Just for info will do Boston area then travel to Treehouse before turning up into VT and once covering the HF area will nail Waterbury and then off to Burlington. Might go south of Burlington if time allows. Again thanks for any help.

2. Lone_Freighter

Lone_Freighter Poo-Bah (7,629) Jun 4, 2017 Vermont
    Society

Foam Brewers - Burlington VT
    1st Republic - Essex Junction, VT
    Good Measure - Northfield, VT
    Ten Bends - Hyde Park, VT
    Frost Beer Works - Hinesburg, VT
    Fiddlehead - Shelburne, VT
    River Roost - White River Junction, VT

Not sure which route you're going, sorry, I kinda spread a lot of that out. And feel free to run a thread search on "Vermont trips" as there's a lot of info in those threads too.

VABA, CraigMack61 and Macsimus like this.
  3. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Initiate (144) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Exhibit 'A' - Framingham MA
    Vanished Valley - Ludlow MA
    Brick and Feather - Turners Falls MA
    Fort Hill - Easthampton MA

Macsimus, sosbombs and SABERG like this.
  4. Resuin

Resuin Meyvn (1,307) Jun 18, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Seconding River Roost and Brick and Feather - for their hoppy beers they are absolutely top notch. If you go to Brick and Feather, Honest Weight brewing is pretty close by and solid.

Macsimus, SABERG and Lone_Freighter like this.
  5. barrelagedyourmom

barrelagedyourmom Initiate (0) Jun 29, 2017 Massachusetts

+1 for River Roost. If they have Martian Moon House, get it.

Check out Lamplighter in Cambridge (Central Sq/Kendall Sq area) as well

bostonwolf and barroomhero1977 like this.
  6. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (147) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

Springdale Barrel Room next to Jack's Abby in Framingham, Mass.

CraigMack61 likes this.
  7. chriswjr

chriswjr Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2017 Massachusetts

River Roost....5 minutes off the highway on your way up to any of the more northerly spots, and my god what a delight their beers are.

8. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (134) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

Isn't VV only open one day a week?

9. GabrielEVH

GabrielEVH Initiate (144) Mar 24, 2016 Massachusetts

Ya, looks like Wednesdays from 3-7pm. Still fits his criteria of a small and good brewery, but I suppose it is a bit of a crapshoot, given his travel schedule.

10. TheMattJones88

TheMattJones88 Initiate (159) Sep 12, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

Seconding Exhibit A and Springdale. Adding in Start Line in Hopkinton. Hop Load Citra is one of the better IPA's I've had in a while, and Honey Ritual is a fantastic pale ale.

seanwhite likes this.
  11. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (475) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I wouldn't call them small, but Nightshift has arguably the best taproom in the area and you could pair it with a stop at Idle Hands and/or Mystic Brewing right nearby which are relatively small. Nightshift is mostly known for their hoppy and sour beers while Idle Hands and Mystic trend German/Belgian. All three have standout stuff outside of those categories as well though.

Traffic isn't always great around there, but they're all within 2 or 3 square mile area.

Have a blast!

12. WanderingFool

WanderingFool Poo-Bah (2,060) Aug 7, 2002 Massachusetts
    Society

I was also going to suggest Mystic, Nightshift, and Idle Hands. Bone Up is practically across the street from Nightshift and Slumbrew isn't too far away either.

Mystic has been cranking out some fantastic brewery only IPAs lately. Way under the radar compared to all the hop heavy breweries in the area.

bostonwolf likes this.
  13. wasatchback

wasatchback Disciple (379) Jan 12, 2014 Tajikistan
    Trader

Foley Brothers in VT. Their place is really cool. Very low key and rustic. An awesome place to hang out and drink a beer.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  14. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (129) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Trader

In Burlington area:
    -Four Quarters puts out a lot of unique and cool beers. Check what they have before you go, but usually its good stuff. They are a fairly small place.
    -If you are into Mead (honey wine) at all, stop at Groennfell Meadery near Burlington.

15. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

Just got back from 10 days in the area.

Not sure how in depth some of yall research your stops after hearing recommendations but with River Roost, they only do growler fills (it appears they fill other peoples brown growlers, but a place like Drop In (in middlebury) will not). Also hours are limited at a lot of these places, and beers can and have run out on Saturday (from their Thursday and Friday filling) @ River Roost. I have heard/seen anywhere from 2 beers up to 5 there.

As far as their beers, Yeah, GLIMPSE, their hazy DIPA is super soft and totally legit. Well worth a Thursday stop in.

Never made it to Frost. Super limited hours, although its pretty close to places like Burlington Beer Company.

Fiddlehead is another place that appears to be growler only (a place to eat is attached). You may all get this info from other threads but thought I'd post it here while its fresh on my mind.

One can get a perception that all places will be a sitdown sort of tap room experience, but that is not always the case. Research and double check times etc. We were out at Trillium and one of my friends apps said Fort Point was closed on sundays. Which isnt/wasnt the case.

Sheppard likes this.
  16. papposilenus

papposilenus Meyvn (1,367) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

These three would be my priorities in between Boston metro and the Burlington area.

You might also consider making a stop in Brattleboro en route from Turners Falls to White River Junction. McNeill's is one of the original old-school craft beer breweries (slash dive bar), Hermit Thrush has the best sour stuff in New England, and Whetstone Station, whose own brews are only pretty-much-OK but which has a small but impeccable tap list of other northeastern breweries you might otherwise miss.

sosbombs likes this.
  17. kuntmissioner

kuntmissioner Initiate (38) Jan 29, 2016 Massachusetts

Lamplighter in Cambridge should be mentioned once again. So much good stuff.

Gsulliv2 likes this.
  18. topsham134

topsham134 Initiate (16) May 18, 2017 New York

Fiddlehead has cans, though availability may vary. At my last visit in mid-July, there was plenty of Second Fiddle available.

Oktoberfiesta likes this.
  19. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

Thanks for the correction @topsham134 on fiddlehead. They do have cans. In fact, a few other obscure places have cans as well. Hop n moose in rutland. Madison brewing in Bennington. Both have to go options as well as inside options. Drop in has cans if you don't feel like buying one of their growlers.

When I mentioned fiddlehead, I guess what I was referring to was when we showed up five deep, we couldn't just pony up to the bar and sample and drink,like 90% of the other places around. So definitely take the time to research your stops. We did not and they lost out on $40-$50 bucks that evening ( I did have 5-6 of their lineup eventually and did take home a fill from them).

Foam lists their very specific growler policy on their website. Other places do not, so be prepared.

20. DanPing

DanPing Aspirant (261) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Thought this fit here

Vermont NanoFest

http://www.brocklebankvt.com/vermont-nanofest.html

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/vermont-nanofest-tickets-35569029926

Sat, August 19, 2017
    12:00 PM – 6:00 PM
    Entry tickets available at Event Brite or at the gate.
    CASH ONLY at the gate. $10 entry fee includes a free 12 oz tasting glass.

Vermont NanoFest celebrates Vermont's smallest breweries (4 barrels or smaller). Featuring 10 nanobreweries, 3 food trucks, and 2 local bluegrass bands, all at the beautiful Tunbridge Fairgrounds. Lots of free parking.

Ticket includes a 12 oz tasting glass. Beer tickets sold separately at the event. $1 per 3 oz ticket. Offering 3 oz, 6 oz, and 12 oz pours. CASH ONLY for beer tickets. Must show ID and be 21+ to drink beer.

Breweries:
    Brocklebank Craft Brewing, Tunbridge (your hosts for this event!)
    Bent Hill Brewery, Braintree
    Good Measure Brewing Co., Northfield
    Halyard Brewing Co., South Burlington
    Hogback Mountain Brewing, Bristol
    Norwich Inn Brewery, Norwich
    Red Barn Brewing, Danville
    Simple Roots Brewing Co., Burlington
    Ten Bends Beer, Hyde Park
    Upper Pass Beer Co., Tunbridge

skivtjerry likes this.
  21. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (555) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Will be at the nanofest... some really good breweries, some just pretty good, but sounds like a nice laid back afternoon at a nice venue. I can vouch for the quality of Bent Hill, Norwich Inn, Red Barn, Simple Roots, Ten Bends and Upper Pass; not familiar enough with the others to have a valid opinion. Upper Pass, Red Barn and Ten Bends stand out for me. The small Upper Pass batches not made at von Trapp are pretty special, IMO, though even the von Trapp beers are not simply contract brewed; the brewers rent the equipment and do the physical brewing themselves.

Full disclosure: I'm pimping Upper pass because one of the brewers is my wife's (excellent) orthopedic surgeon in his spare time. But their beer, and cold brew coffee, is really good.

22. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (495) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Fiddle head and foley bros if your are taking rout 7 back home
    Try or bring home the triple maidan, it's their lastest ipa and quite good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.