Masthead Brewing Co. in Downtown Cleveland

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by Sorithin, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Sorithin

Sorithin Initiate (40) Jan 7, 2016 Ohio

For Release and General Information:
    Masthead on Instagram
    Masthead on Facebook
    Masthead on Twitter
    Masthead Website
    Continually Updated Tap List via Untappd

Cleveland, OH 44114

Food:
    They specialize in Neapolitan wood-fired pizzas and have them for lunch and dinner. Other lunch items include sandwiches and salads. Dinner menu (served all day Saturday) includes shareables (get the Everything Pretzel!) and salads. Here are their menus.

Hours:
    Sunday: Closed (open during Browns season)
    Monday: Closed
    Tuesday: 11 AM - 10 PM
    Wednesday: 11 AM - 10 PM
    Thursday: 11 AM - 10 PM
    Friday: 11 AM - Midnight
    Saturday: 11 AM - Midnight

Parking:
    Metered street parking available (metered until 6 PM M-F).

Other Information:
    - Family-friendly and the patio is dog-friendly
    - NEIPA can releases are USUALLY every other Saturday, but they sprinkle some in during the week.
    - Crowler and growlers are available, but not always available for every beer. They will post on social media if a beer is unavailable for take out

2. BigSpeen3436

BigSpeen3436 Aspirant (206) Oct 23, 2013 Ohio

I really enjoyed the Hazelnut Tiramisu yesterday, just wish it was a little cheaper for a couple cans.

3. miketd

miketd Zealot (501) Mar 2, 2006 Ohio

Best new brew in town. Cans are a bit expensive, but they are good, for the most part. All that said, I’m not waiting in line for beer these days.

williamDbar and Elkevjoe like this.
  4. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,889) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Easily the most promising new brewery in the NE Ohio area right now, if not the rest of the state. Looking forward to what's to come.

Elkevjoe and CaptCleveland like this.
  5. ratwheels

ratwheels Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2011 Illinois

I've gotten to try a number of their cans. One Trick Pony and Nelson Vice were outstanding. The others I've had were well above average.

6. wolfatyourdoor

wolfatyourdoor Initiate (38) Jan 23, 2017 Ohio

The Rye Underverse caught me by huge surprise when they put it out last summer. Hoping they do more with that beer. Best thing out of Cleveland in a long time. NEIPA's are very solid so far. I thought Series of Tubes batch 2 was a big improvement over batch 1.

Definitely on the expensive side of things for NEIPAs, but I'll chalk it up to the overhead they must be dealing with. Downtown Cleveland is certainly more expensive than brewing out of a barn off of I-71. Really pumped to have these guys in town, and really pumped to work two blocks away. Selfishly, I hope these 11 AM Wednesday releases are more common.

RUinOhio likes this.
  7. wolfatyourdoor

1000% yes

8. miketd

I work less than a mile away, too, and can sometimes sneak up there for lunch. These guys came out of nowhere, and I figured they would be just another average Joe.

Whateve the reason, I still find their prices at the high end of what I’m willing to pay.

CaptainHate, Sabtos and Gibspeed like this.
  9. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (412) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Masthead is pretty solid. I don't judge a place off its NE IPA's and BBA Stouts alone like most people seem to do, as is not exactly the best way to gauge a breweries “skill”.

Looking at their entire portfolio they are still one of the best to open in Cleveland recently, for sure. Double Fleeb was a good attempt at the NE IPA, but not exactly to the level of the “real” stuff flowing out of the NE area (I drink a LOT of it). I actually preferred their standard IPA better, side by side. Baby Fleeb wasn’t the greatest session variant either, although it was still tasty. Those are the only two of that style I have had from them so far.

Their Pilsner is average, not exactly the most impressive… Along with the Wit which I believe has changed from the original times they have brewed it (it was better when they first opened). The Blonde Ale I recall being excellent, but have not had it since I went the first time… Need to see how that one is holding up next time. I drink these styles often, so I have a very good gauge on these styles.

Aside from those, the Smoked Helles was excellent… Could drink that all day. BBA Tiramisu Underverse was a tasty beer, although I could only take a few ounces (beetus!) before moving on to something else. Definitely a dessert beer, as the name implies, so it does its job. It is well done though. The Porter/Stouts I’ve had have been good.

So across the board, I find their beer better than average (A-) for Cleveland. Def top 3 if someone was to ask. But depending on one’s preferences, I would have varying levels of recommendation for where to go, obviously. In the scope of all breweries I have been to, though? I’d go with a (B-)… Just to place it into a bit more perspective. I have no doubt they will continue to improve though over the next few months/years and bump up in my ranks.

10. miketd

Dude, if it aint a shitty lookin ipa or 32% abv, it shant pass the lips of any neckbeard worth a shite.

11. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (412) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

I joked with the g/f yesterday that "Brew and can a NE IPA and a brewery gets their own thread on BA!".

That new place when it opens... Crooked Pecker... Since all they will do is can NE IPA's and big stouts should have their own topic in no time!

CannedWaggoneer and miketd like this.
  12. miketd

I saw them mentioned already. Their proximity is such I am unlikely to ever visit them.

Edit: Joey Redner became wealthy by playing the nerds and homers like a fiddle. If I opened a brewery, my model would be the same.

#12 miketd, Mar 23, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  13. wolfatyourdoor

On the other hand, there are more than enough breweries in town sticking to more traditional styles and doing them quite well, can't blame anyone for not wanting to go up against GLBC, Fat Head's, TBK, etc... in that realm

As easy as it is to mock the beer scene in 2018 for pastry stouts and hazy IPAs, there wasn't really anyone championing those in Cleveland.

ratwheels and invertalon like this.
  14. Djc

Djc Initiate (57) Jan 5, 2014 Ohio

Masthead is the shizzle. I love it there. I do agree some stuff is expensive. That is my only knock on the place. The food is actually really good there also. I agree not every beer is a home rum but everything has been good The latest brute force IPA is really good One trick pony, tubes, and flat earth imo is some of best beer I have ever had. Double fleeb and baby fleeb I thought was good but not crazy about them and same with the vices. The hazelnut and raspberry tiramisu was really good and the barrel aged pumpkin undiverse was a big surprise Honestly their beer is more up my alley so I like them more.

Gibspeed and miketd like this.
  15. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (155) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

I don't know much about CC, what'd he do?

16. miketd

He did nothing wrong, just played the game well. I don’t want to get into details here, but I have an opinion based on close relations with many involved.

PhilBallins likes this.
  17. miketd

Flat Earth was probably the best from them, imo.

I was going to go up today for some Hazlenut Tiramisu, but passed due to the $20 for two can price tag. Damn.

Djc likes this.
  18. Gibspeed

Gibspeed Initiate (60) Feb 9, 2017 Ohio

They've put out some stuff that definitely competes with those guys too. Wet Work, for instance, was better than both Yakima Fresh and Hop Stalker IMO.

Where else are you finding 16oz of big, barrel aged, adunct stouts for $10?

Their NEIPA cans are definitely at the top of the price-point for the style, right up there with Trillium as far as price goes. It never ceases to make me laugh though when people think a big BA stout is crazy expensive... just because it's in a can. Would anyone be complaining if the beer was is a waxed bomber and cost $12.99? No chance. I just think it's an interesting conversation about our inherent biases, based around format.

Stinger80OH and Elkevjoe like this.
  19. miketd

I think their hazy IPAs are as good or better than anything I’ve had from new england, but yea, pricey.

Personally, wouldn’t pay $13 for a waxed bomber or $40 for a growler of a very sweet, boozy stout. I pay that much(and more) for Jackie O’s stuff, but they are the exception.

20. Sorithin

I was told on St. Patrick's Day that they are no longer brewing the wit

Wet Work is the one that really put them on the map for me. Had gone there occasionally and drank a few of their stuff, but it was all average. Had the wet hop and loved it and have been going back consistently since.

Gibspeed likes this.
  21. CaptCleveland

CaptCleveland Crusader (722) Jun 18, 2003 Ohio

Point of order, Redner got his cash from his father's Tampa strip clubs and was smart enough to hire Wayne Wambles and stay the hell out of Wayne's way!

PhilBallins and Sabtos like this.
  22. miketd

I know all that, but my point was regarding the overall business model, philosophy, and ultimate decision to sell the brewery. It’s a bit nuanced.

CaptCleveland and PhilBallins like this.
  23. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2017 Ohio

Anyone in line today for the NEIPA release?

24. Elkevjoe

Elkevjoe Initiate (78) Jan 4, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

Just got here and the lines to the corner.

miketd likes this.
  25. Mshull

Mshull Disciple (371) Mar 26, 2013 Ohio

Is shoot from the hip essentially the same beer as one trick pony?

26. Sorithin

Not at all

27. Djc

Djc Initiate (57) Jan 5, 2014 Ohio

I'm here. One trick was much better imo. Hip is still really good. But one trick is one of the best so far.

28. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (4,889) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Trader

I liked Citra Vice a lot more personally, I've only had two of their NE IPAs though

29. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (155) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Well if I ever catch you in Cleveland I'll buy you a beer to hear it. Now you've got me interested in the hot goss

miketd likes this.
  30. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2017 Ohio

Grabbed a couple 6 packs today and tried them both on draft. I liked them a lot, but I gotta say that One Trick Pony & Centennial Vice have been my favorites so far. I loved Extra! Extra! today

31. Sorithin

Next release seems to be a milkshake IPA.. really curious as to how it comes out. Not sure what flavor/adjuncts, just that it's gonna be a milkshake. Excited nonetheless!

32. wolfatyourdoor

Pretty burnt out on the milkshakes overall tbh - mostly due to Hoof doing one every other release at this point. I feel like it's an easy style to do well because of the adjuncts and overall ends up not all that interesting. Would much rather see Masthead try to dial in some of the beers they've released before and continue the Vice series.

BigSpeen3436 and RyanMcFly1985 like this.
  33. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Aspirant (280) Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Trader

I am not even sure why these beers are called IPA's. They really do not have the flavor profile of IPA's, IMO.

34. djtothemoney

djtothemoney Initiate (137) Nov 30, 2015 Ohio

I'm usually a bit whiny on prices myself, but I absolutely would pay $10 for 16 oz of that beer. I bought a bomber of the Bourbon Barrel Aged Underverse (I think for $15) and regret not buying another one.

Really liked them when I was in Cleveland a couple weeks ago, would definitely go back if I was in town.

CaptCleveland, miketd and Sabtos like this.
  35. Sorithin

I can't remember the last time I had a Hoof Hearted beer. The only milkshake IPA I've ever had was from Tired Hands, which I liked, but it's been a good year and a half at least. They may be doing another beer along with the milkshake for the next release, I'm just not sure yet. Would love to see a Simcoe or Mosaic Vice.

36. matthepanther

matthepanther Initiate (19) Aug 21, 2017 Ohio

Agree 100% the most underrated beer they made was wet works. As good if not better than their NE styles if you prefer a traditional ipa. I could drink that stuff all day. I hope they bring it back. Their red ipa, which won a medal at gabf, was also fantastic.

37. Sorithin

They're canning a hazy saison today with a modified One Trick Pony label.

38. tepie

tepie Initiate (89) Aug 26, 2015 Ohio

Not a beer question, but where is the best place to park in the area?

39. Sorithin

I stand corrected. It's actually a "smoothie" IPA because there's no vanilla in it. I think it's going to be strawberry.

There's plenty of street (metered) parking on the sides of the building. If you go during a release, it might be difficult to find a spot, but any other time, you should be ok to park anywhere on E. 12th-14th, Rockwell and Lindazzo.

Gibspeed and tepie like this.
  40. CannedWaggoneer

CannedWaggoneer Initiate (84) May 1, 2017 Ohio

Brand recognition.

ACEbrewski likes this.