Maui Brewing--The best craft beer in Hawaii

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by J_Hargis, Feb 18, 2014.

1. J_Hargis

J_Hargis Initiate (0) Feb 18, 2014 Hawaii

Maui Brewing is the best, and only craft brewery in Maui. Having started around 9 years ago, there is now an expansion plan to build a new facility that will produce over 45,000 barrels a year and room to expand the business. The top hand crafted beers are the Bikini Blond, Big Swell IPA, Coconut Porter, and the Mana Wheat. Not to mention a great root beer! Maui Style.
    Has anyone tried any of these? If so, Iʻd love to hear some comments and responses.

kerry4porters likes this.
  2. kerry4porters

kerry4porters Zealot (587) Dec 31, 2012 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I believe I have tried the coconut porter before but not sober enough at the time to remember lol it was some coconut something though at Old Chicago

3. markgugs

markgugs Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I've only had the CoCoNut Porter (just had to write it like they do), because I'm a sucker for all things w/ coconut in them. That said, it's a really tasty beer, and one that I pick up in 4-packs everytime I'm in the VA/MD area on business.

4. Gorillahead

Gorillahead Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2013 Missouri

I drank the heck out of Bikini Blond and Big Swell last time I was on the island. It doesn't distro to here in the middle of the mainland. I would sure buy it if it did.

We get Kona here now, and I regularly buy some of their beers.

5. theandychrist

theandychrist Initiate (0) Apr 21, 2013 Maryland

we have big swell at my local but it's about 2 years old so I haven't bought it. Any good fresh?

6. richj1970

richj1970 Poo-Bah (2,083) Oct 26, 2012 Alabama
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Just got back from the island and tried as much of the lineup as I could.

Of the year round beers, I'm a big fan of the coconut porter and mana wheat.

My absolute favorite was Double Overhead IPA, but also really enjoyed the Lahaina Brown.

SanFranJake likes this.
  7. beerking

beerking Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Illinois

Of course you do, it's brewed at Widmer Brothers Brewery on the west coast.

Gorillahead likes this.
  8. sholle

sholle Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2011 Montana

I have always love Maui Brewing. I also love that they can their brews. I wish Montana was in their distribution, but that is why I am on Beer Advocate...great trading! Anyone want to send me some Maui cans for some Tumbleweed IPA?

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/914/5577/

9. csoult

csoult Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2014 Pennsylvania

Maui brewing is good...... But Maui itself is better, Lahina is an amazing place. Good surf, beautiful scenery, what more can you ask for.

charlzm likes this.
  10. BastardKing24

BastardKing24 Disciple (382) Mar 22, 2010 Oregon

To my knowledge, maui brewing makes some fantastic sessionable beers

11. Wiz

Wiz Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Pennsylvania

I like Kona

12. sefus12

sefus12 Aspirant (223) Sep 7, 2006 Kentucky

I don't care who owns Kona. I've been to their brewpub in Kona a few times and some of the draft only stuff blew my mind. One of my favorite brewpubs ever.

Duff27 likes this.
  13. readyski

readyski Aspirant (244) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

Perhaps drinking one will transport you there :rolling_eyes:

14. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Aspirant (281) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

I get it from NH. :grinning: Yeah a beer from Hawaii brewed in NH. Rather have an authentic Hawaii beer but its not feasible I guess.

15. Lochnessmonster

Lochnessmonster Defender (673) Dec 4, 2013 Florida
    Beer Trader

Was in Hawaii a couple years ago visiting my brother and his wife - we hit up Maui Brewing Co. and were not disappointed. Enjoyed the Dragleg Lager, Lahainatown Brown, Mana Wheat, Parrotbill Pub Ale, Pueo Pale Ale, and of course the Coconut Porter.

16. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,215) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Beer Trader

I visited the old brewpub when it was called Fish & Game Brewing back in 2004. I thought the beer and food were good back then. Since then, all I have had is Coconut Porter, which is impressive in balance and execution but not a go-to for me.

17. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Devotee (424) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

Maui Brewing was great. Loved alot of their beers, and their pork nachos were the best per dollar food I had on Maui.

That said, Overboard IPA by Big Island Brewhaus was the best beer I drank on Maui.

gamwich likes this.
  18. douginromeo

douginromeo Initiate (0) Apr 1, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Loved the double overhead when I was there in 2011. I went back to the brewpub several times and was never disappointed. They've got a good thing going there, especially when you consider that they're the only game in town! If I were on Maui, I'd go back in a heartbeat. Between there and Paia, I ate and drank myself into happy happy happy.

19. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,430) Mar 18, 2010 California

Maui Brewing makes solid beers with the occasional gem, but I was more impressed with Big Island Brewhaus stuff when I was on island last July.

gamwich, human24 and Black_Rider like this.
  20. Skuter

Skuter Aspirant (213) Jun 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

There is nothing better than splitting a growler of Coconut Porter with your wife, while sitting on one of Maui's amazing beaches.

21. UCLABrewN84

For more Maui news, Rock N Brews is opening a location in Paia (weird choice in my opinion). Also, Stone and Maui Brewing have partnered up to have better distro to HI. I am looking forward to what this means for beer in future visits.

22. eaterfan

eaterfan Initiate (0) Jul 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Obviously you've never brought your mistress to Maui.

OneBeertoRTA and Black_Rider like this.
  23. Skuter

Skuter Aspirant (213) Jun 21, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Haha, obviously you don't know my wife. She loves beer and sports as much as I do. Plus she is beautiful, tough (just gave birth to our son (17 hours of labor with no medication)), and a doctor.

eaterfan likes this.
  24. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (546) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

agree. love Maui Brewing and the fact that they can on the island, but most of their beers are tame. Big Island Brewhaus has some good stuff. especially liked their Belgian IPA

human24 likes this.
  25. SanFranJake

SanFranJake Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

They're beers are quite good and their brewery only releases are great.
    This time next week, I'll be there. I'll post a tap list and review

26. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (732) Jul 1, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Kona Castaway was very good. IMO. Maui Brewing Co is still King of the islands. Anybody that goes to the island Kauai check out Kauai Beer Company in Lihue. The Kauai Island Beer Co has more selections, but Kauai Beer Co has been opened for only 6 months now and they just put out their honey ipa (IPAloha) and is damn tasty. Their first IPA. Their style is lagar but slowly getting into the ales. And the owner/father and son are very friendly and will have a long converstion when not busy brewing. Look for good craft beers coming out of Kauai Beer Co. in the very near future.

Hardcore likes this.
  27. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 California

There are 2 breweries on Kauai and both make good beer.

Maui on tap is way better than canned.

Skuter likes this.
  28. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I'll be in Kauai two weeks from today, staying in Poipu area and fully intend on hitting up both breweries. I assume I can bring any growler and they'll fill it?

Other than those two spots, what are the best options for picking up bottles/cans to go on Kauai? Stock up in Lihue after we land? We will definitely be visiting the north shore too, so am interested in all advice regarding stores, bars, and restaurants.

29. DrtyBvrJuce

DrtyBvrJuce Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2013 California

I staid on the north side, not a whole lot in the way of options. There is a tiki bar but beer is not a priority. You'll find d Maui and big island cans but best bring with you anything special you want to enjoy.

The will fill any growler which is really nice. Just dont bring glass to the beach.

30. Hardcore

Hardcore Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Hawaii

They will fill any growler. I use 64 oz hydroflasks. The Kauai Beer Co. is currently open wed and sat from 12 - 6 and thurs from 5 - ? for their food truck nights. Try following them on facebook to see the updates. They are going to be expanding their hours soon, but I'm not sure when. The grocery stores have pretty much the same selection between them Times, Big Save Foodland etc. Foodland does have the Big Island Brewhaus beers though and they are worth trying. Smaller shops such as the Wine Garden in Puhi and the Wine Store in Princeville have a small but different selection than the grocery stores. As for restaurants the Feral Pig sometimes has some good stuff on tap and the Feral Burger is pretty good too. Kalapaki Joes has a good happy hour and a decent tap list, for Kauai so that's not saying much. Most places have at least Kona beer and Maui Brewing. Hope you enjoy your trip.

dcgunman likes this.
  31. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Do a search here on Kauai. . . . . .

or I'll do it for you. . . . . . . http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/kauai-island-brewery.28173/

32. dcgunman

Beer Trader

Here's my write up after getting back to the mainland. . . . .

Kauai trip was fantastic. Been to all the islands now including Lanai (except for Molokai). Actually the last visit to Kauai was way back in 79'. Typical winter weather this time of the year. Kauai Islands was okay. Had a flight and thought I had notes on the beers I had but cant find them now. I didn't really care for the Capt Cooks IPA. I enjoyed their Lilikoi Ale the best. Pakala Porter was also good. As usual they did not have their other favorite ipa on tap. Oh well. Did not eat a thing there. But I thought the atmosphere was good. Bartender was friendly. But did not have kind words about the other island brewery. Why cant we all get along? That being said I checked out Kauai Beer Co in Lanai. A smaller family owned brewery. Jim the owner and his son Justin the brewer was very friendly and did have nice things to say about the other guys. I brought a bottle of JO and Enjoy By 3-14-14 to share with Jim, Justin, Cory (a local) and a couple that was there at the time. They enjoyed the JO the best. I also had tasters of Lihue Lager, Hells Swells, A Hoppy Accident, Black Limo and Kokobobo. All being lagers which really isn't my style of beers. But was very impressed with all. Especially the Black Limo which I filled my Societe growler with and brought back home. They will be releasing their first IPA (Honey IPA) this weekend or sometime next week. It wasn't quite ready when I was there. But Jim was kind enough to offer a taste to all while there. Being into IPA's I thought it was very good. I think the local will catch on to pale ales and ipa's sooner than later. Especially when they taste the new honey ipa. I wish I could of brought a growler of that back with me. Got a nice tour of the brewery too. I think we ended up talking beer and drinking beer for a couple of hours on Saturday. A great time with good people who love beer. Foodland in Princeville had a little more selection in the cooler than the one in Kapaa. Bought a sixer of Maui Big Swell and the Princeville had a six pack of Goose Island IPA (which isn't my favorite ipa) on sale for $5.50, down from $11. so I bought it also. Did not get to try the Big Islands Brewery beers. Maybe next trip. Kalapaki Joe's in Lihue had Kona Castaway IPA on tap and thats all I drank while visiting them twice for happy hour. $3 for a pint and $5 for the larger glass. Amazing deals. And I liked the Castaway better than the Goose Island IPA's. Did not go to the Ferel Pig as Kalapaki Joes had better deals. that too will be on my next trip back sometime this year. Since my last trip to Lanai & Maui I found a little more selection for beer on the Kauai trip. Price wise was not bad at all. A big shout out to Jim and Justin of Kauai Beer Co. Also nice to meet fellow BA Corey.

Note: I think one complaint about Kauai Beer Co from other locals on the island was not enough days open, hours and no food(except for the food truck). Give them some time and I think the days and hours will expand. and Jim is working on the food situation for the brewery. Got to give the local and tourist some good food selection to go with the good beers they are serving. Dont forget this is the islands and things dont move to quickly on the islands.

5 out of 5 stars for Kauai.
    4 out of 5 stars for the beers on Kauai

luwak and chinochino like this.
  33. dcgunman

Beer Trader

They are now open Wed 12-6pm, Thurs 3pm-8pm, and Sat 12-6pm.

And if you can swing it, bring some bottles with you to Kauai Beer Co and share with Jim and Justin. Justin the son has never had pliny yet. My next visit I was planning on taking some more bottles, this time a bottle of pliny.

34. walterfredo

walterfredo Aspirant (267) Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Thanks all.

Unlikely I'll be around Pliny before we leave but I did pick up a case of kern river winter dipa yesterday. Definitely plan to load up my checked bag with bottles.

35. SanFranJake

Beer Trader

This was 20 minutes ago at the Kahiluli Whole foods... Solid selection and the Hop Henge is $2 more than Abyss, which was only $12!
    [​IMG]

luwak and badb_rad like this.
  36. FrogOut69

FrogOut69 Initiate (0) Sep 24, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Whoa, Hawaii got beers finally!

37. badb_rad

badb_rad Aspirant (212) Dec 23, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Counting down the days! I'll be there on the 5th!

luwak likes this.
  38. UCLABrewN84

Check out Tamura's if you haven't already.

39. SanFranJake

Beer Trader

The Eclipse were all $30. Same as Bay Area but no mark-up. Some were but nothing too crazy.

40. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,439) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium Member Beer Trader

I was in Kauai sometime ago had a blast there with the beer, also many of the Maui beers show up here in the DC area and have reviewed some of them. Plus found some other interesting bottles while there, but more happy to discover Deschutes actually which was quite plentiful.

I am heading also to the big island but just by checking around there's only a few things beer wise, but will check them out if I can.

Been to Maui also, but didn't seek out the beer at the time as much on there but loved the place.