May 2013 Cellar Reviews

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by deebo, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deebo

deebo Meyvn (1,010) Oct 13, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Goose Island Pere Jacques
    Bottled on: Nov 20, 2010

5/10/13 cellar review: Back to this beer after 2 years in the cellar...Similar appearance as the freshie but with plenty of sediment. Aroma is a hint sweeter. Ripe grapes predominant now vs. the initial caramel toasty malt character. The taste is like the aroma. Heavy on sweetness which covers up the alcohol bite that was initially present and no astringency here either anymore. The mouthfeel has definitely gotten thicker with just a bit of cloying sweetness. Still plenty of carbonation here. Overall I think this beer has improved with age as it is more like the good Belgians. I'd give it a solid 3.75 now vs. the original 2.5. Glad I held these as I didn't care for this beer fresh. Probably time to drink more. I think it's at it's peak and about to become too sweet and cloying. I'll hold a couple to see.

garymuchow and danimalthegreat like this.
  2. CommanderOfAwesome

CommanderOfAwesome Devotee (461) Aug 30, 2012 California

Cracked a 2009 Big Worse Barleywine by Mikkeller. Unfortunately this beer didn't hold up well. Got huge fuselage notes, bad church wine aromas. Alcohol was very present, and in your face. Burned with some chest warming. The taste was like horrible cheap grape juice/wine with no carbonation/head to speak of. Not sure of when it's peak was, but its pretty terrible now.

3. OtisCampbell

OtisCampbell Initiate (102) Jun 7, 2004 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

In my experience the peak for the Big Worse BWs is in the actual year they are released.. they just don't age well at all..

4. t8000shx

t8000shx Disciple (321) Mar 2, 2004 New York
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Hm, you guys are making me nervous. In 2011 I drank a bottle of the Big Worse Red Wine barrel version and absolutely loved it fresh, but also felt it could be an interesting beer to throw down in the cellar for a few years and forget about. I picked up 2 more the next day and they've been in the cellar ever since... sounds like I might want to get to them sooner rather than later.

5. Bobheed

Bobheed Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Texas

2011 Parabola: Appearance and aroma nearly identical to a fresh one with this aged one having a little bit less of a bourbon characteristic on the nose. The taste has changed quite a bit, not necessarily for better or worse, just different. First off, less booziness, less vanilla/sugary sweetness, and as mentioned before, less bourbon flavors. With those flavors more subdued, though, it makes way for more coffee bitterness, and just a huge roasted character as well as a giant explosion of that signature FW roasted coconut barrel flavor.

I know with this one(and many other BBA beers) a lot of people tend to say it's best fresh and it only gets worse over time, I would definitely argue that, it's just a different taste, possibly even better in some ways. I'll be having a 2013 bottle tonight to really see the differences

6. Stevedore

Stevedore Poo-Bah (3,494) Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

What's your verdict on the 2011 vs 2013 comparison?

7. Nuggethops

Nuggethops Initiate (0) Jun 7, 2010 New Hampshire

Drank a 2010 Dan Pangaea last night, the ginger flavor and aroma were more pronounced than I remember from this same vintage fresh, notes of port and apricot, mild esters and spices balance it out for a smooth and taty brew. Probably the last bottle I will ever drink of this particular beer unless they brew it again, this held up better than I expected at only 7% abv though I had maybe held on to this one a little too long, but it was quite delightful.

8. GRG1313

GRG1313 Poo-Bah (3,471) Jan 15, 2009 California
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

We just a moment ago opened the GI Pere Jacques 2009 (along with three other 2009s from GI) that has been perfectly stored since release. Suffice it to say that the 2009 is "barely" still good/drinkable. It still has some character and still shows some of its original flavor profile. However, please......drink these now! This is a bottle that most will still enjoy, while many will consider over the hill. I think it's at the very end of it's life. I'm searching for any other 2009 GI and will open them or give them away immediately! JMO

Edit: The 2009 is actually improving in the glass with some air and as it warms up a bit. I must edit the above and indicate this one may still have a few months. But, drinking very nice if you let warm up just a bit and get some air!

deebo likes this.
  9. Bobheed

Bobheed Initiate (0) Dec 27, 2010 Texas

I'd say overall, I like about the same, the most noticeable difference is the booziness, but with all the booziness that the fresh one had, it also had more bourbon barrel characteristics. For me though 5 out of 5 fresh or aged

Stevedore likes this.
  10. AndyCarter

AndyCarter Initiate (169) Feb 23, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I had a 2013 and felt its much more boozy, almost to the point I cannot tell the difference between the bourbon and the base beer chocolate/roast notes. We will see in a year...

11. deebo

deebo Meyvn (1,010) Oct 13, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Thanks for sharing. I might leave a bottle or 2 to age just to see where it goes but I agree that's it is time to drink the rest.

12. jakethesnake9z9z

jakethesnake9z9z Initiate (179) Mar 5, 2009 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

Last week, opened two vintage New Glarus Unplugged series beers with another BA:

1. Smoked Rye Bock (2006): Pours chunky with some oxidation in the nose for sure. A great variety of flavors (surprised how well the smokiness is retained, along with toasted nut and some sweetness)

2. Bourbon Barrel Bock (2007): Aroma is dark fruits with a still detectable bourbon. No chunkies in this bottle! Almost no head, flavor has dark fruit, butterscotch, and oak all very present. Unfortunately, lots of oxidation in the taste too.

Would have been great to try both of these fresh (although at that time, I still hadn't even had my first beer). Both were fun to try, but both were definitely past their prime.

garymuchow likes this.
  13. mdfb79

mdfb79 Poo-Bah (4,741) Jan 11, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

With the newest Bruery anniversary beers coming out soon, I decided to open a 100% Bourbon Barrel Aged Cuir tonight...been wanting to crack it for the last month or two. I was lucky enough to have this once before in November 2011 thanks to my friend drabmuh.

Looks the same, a deep murky reddish mahogany brown color. Nose is full of caramel and toffee, bourbon, dark fruits, vanilla, sugar, and molasses. Taste is the same, with a lot of delicious bourbon, vanilla, and toffee. More vanilla than the nose. Both the nose and taste are very sweet, but I really like it. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and low carbonation. Considering the ABV it is crazy easy to drink; not a ton of heat at all.

Overall I love this beer; I think it might be even better now than it was in late 2011. Still a lot of vanilla, bourbon, and toffee, but less of an alcohol presence. Definitely a very sweet beer, but probably the best of the Anniversary beers so far IMO (not having had any of the Bois'). I'm pretty glad they started making their anniversary beers all 100% BA'd as the 100% BA Cuir and Coton I've had have been much better than the "normal" counterparts.

Drinking near perfect right now...would suggest drinking them if you've got them.

14. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,723) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Founders Imperial Stout '09-'10

Poured with a small swirl of head on top.
    Nice semi-sweet chocolate aroma that is retained throughout the drink. Fairly thick and chewy and very smooth feel. Still has a touch of booziness, but not to excess. Roast has smoothed out nicely.
    This is drinking quite nicely right now. I'd be hesitant to hold onto this much longer. I fear it would get worse more than better.

15. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (60) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Nice! I did '09, '11, '12 last week. I was disappointed that I didn't have a '10, as the '09 seemed just a touch over the hill (still good, but a touch oxidized), while the '11 seemed like it could get better (though it was a damned fine beer and definitely the best of the bunch).

My notes:

'09: Definitely the smoothest of the bunch with a bit more milk chocolate and less roast/hops than the other two. Some oxidation. A touch over the hill

'11: Definitely the best of the bunch. Dark chocolate; anise; sooty, smoky roast. Faint citrusy hops. All very well integrated. Bold, yet smooth.

'12: Similar to '11, but a bit harsh and hop forward by comparison. Still damned tasty!

garymuchow likes this.
  16. garymuchow

garymuchow Poo-Bah (2,723) Aug 31, 2001 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

2004 Old Man Winter Warmer - Lake Superior Brewing Company
    This could be a disaster.
    Almost no sound at all upon opening.
    Rich fruity smell - like dates or figs and really not all that much oxidation, considering. Very little head with just a small ring around the edge.
    Remains very rich and still holds some hops drying on the finish. Flavor isn't quite a pleasing as the aroma, but it is flavorful enough with a kinda' sweet fruit with a warmth and flavor of alcohol. Not bad. Minimal oxidation really, for an almost 10 year old beer.
    This is not a disaster. It's really not too bad, all things considered. I'm just gonna' be patient as it is warming the gut even after a few sips

17. olympuszymurgus

olympuszymurgus Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

A real treat-

2006(educated guess) Jolly Pumpkin La Roja

Murky red, chestnut and ruby highlights, perfect carbonation, a whiff of bourbon and chocolate. Mild funkiness, mostly hay and wet grass flavors, some bitter citrus rind, a nice chocolate and bourbon finish with a mild oxidized booze flavor. Real delightful, muted beer that lacked the vibrancy of a fresh bottle but replaced it with smooth oak and leather flavors.

Benny3000 likes this.
  18. trxxpaxxs

trxxpaxxs Meyvn (1,308) Mar 5, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

2006-2012 Abyss

We did a 6 year vert last weekend (minus the infected 2009). All we holding up wonderfully, including the 2006. The 2008 and 2010 were the high points for me.

Sorry for my lack of an in-depth breakdown, I just figured you cellar guys would like to know that even the 2006 is still holding up quite well. Cheers!

19. errantnight

errantnight Meyvn (1,070) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I had a 2009 Abyss recently that not only wasn't infected but was far and away the best taste of Abyss I've ever had, FWIW.

Bitterbill and claaark13 like this.
  20. danimalthegreat

danimalthegreat Initiate (139) Feb 19, 2013 Texas

GD Hibernation Ale: 2011 vs 2012

-The 2012 had a more robust roasted malt and dark fruit profile with a bit of bitterness and spice.
    -The 2011 displayed more caramel flavors and was smoother with the boldness of the fresh version receding into the background.

The alcohol was more present in 2012, as you'd expect, with it fading in the cellared version.

Both were great but I preferred the 2011 for it's smoothness. There are still some 2012's hanging around town, I plan on grabbing some to stash away.

21. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,258) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have had the same experience with a bottle of 09 Abyss that wasnt infected. 09 & 10 Abyss are my favorite vintages!

22. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,113) Mar 18, 2010 California

Do you think that 2010 is dropping off now? I do.

23. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (2,258) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

havent had one in the last 6 months, but last time I had a bottle it was still wonderful. Thats too bad to hear your inquiry on that Abyss vintage because it was such a solid beer.

24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (4,912) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm drinking one now and no, I don't think it is dropping off. It still tastes vibrant of the flavours it started off with fresh.

25. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Disciple (370) Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

We had an infected bottle of 09 at a recent bottle share, and it was surprisingly delicious. It had just the right amount of funk, and an excellent coffee finish. I don't the infection was as bad as some others have had though.

26. ThePorterSorter

ThePorterSorter Meyvn (1,423) Aug 10, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I managed to drink 3 separate bottles of 09 abyss (lucky me) and found it to range from gross (but drinkable) to anustart disgustingness

trxxpaxxs and starkmarvelo like this.
  27. burgundysmoke

burgundysmoke Initiate (143) Sep 11, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

ive also been lucky enough to try 09 three times...none of which were infected. all tasted amazing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.