ME/VT trip highlights

Discussion in 'US - Northeast' started by JuliusPepperwood, Oct 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Aspirant (231) Jul 21, 2013 North Carolina

This forum is a great source for travel info but I also like when people report back after their trips. So here are the highlights of our trip to the new england area this week. Thanks again for all the helpful threads!

-Flew into Portland, ME on Tuesday 10/12, went straight to Eventide Oyster Co for a lobster roll and a glass of Maine Beer Co Lunch. Both were outstanding!

-Drove through ME, NH, and into VT. The foliage, scenery, and historic buildings were amazing. I love that there are no billboards on the highways.

[​IMG]

-Stopped in Montepelier at Three Penny Taproom for dinner. Place was pretty small, menu was unique, but I was pleased with the Hill Farmstead and Lawson's Finest on tap. Got a glass of Sip of Sunshine which was really good but would be overshadowed by beers later in the week.

-Stayed in a vacation rental house just south of downtown Burlington that was right on the Lake Champlain. Enjoyed the quiet neighborhood feel and being able to walk along the lake. Made for some very beautiful sunsets.

[​IMG]

-Burlington itself was amazing. Our favorites spots were Skinny Pancake, Farmhouse Tap and Grill, Hen of the Wood, and A Single Pebble. But we really felt like we only scratched the surface.

-Foam Brewers was our favorite beer spot. We ended up going twice for beers and the great view of the lake. The IPA's were some of the best I've had, super aromatic, topical, and soft feel. And as good as the beers were, the cheese and charcuterie plate was almost better.

-One of my favorite parts of Burlington was almost every restaurant had a good selection of Hill Farmstead. Edward and Self Reliance #1 were standouts. Maine Beer Co A Tiny Beautiful Something, Singlecut Billy 18 Watt, and Fiddlehead IPA get honorable mention.

-We also made the short drive to Waterbury and up to The Alchemist in Stowe. We made it to the Alchemist around 1pm on Wednesday and there was no line, no wait. They had Heady, Focal, and Crusher available and all delivered on the hype!

-Got lunch at Blackback Pub, food was ok but their tap list was very impressive. We also stopped at Craft Beer Cellar which was great and had SOS and Heady. Ironically we ran into Alchemist delivery trucks twice in Burlington on Thursday and even found a lonely Heady can in a parking deck stairwell. Only in Burlington can you find whales just lining the streets!

[​IMG]

-We drove back to Portland, ME for our flight home and got lunch at The Kings Head. They also had a good lobster roll and had Bissell Brothers on tap. Substance was solid but Lux blew me away.

-The time of year proved to be perfect for our us. We had an amazing time but felt like there were so many places we didn't get to visit and some beers we didn't get to try so we'll have to plan another trip soon!

johng, Hiwattowner, AOTP and 22 others like this.
  2. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Initiate (127) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Society

Sounds like a good trip! Thanks for posting. Its easy for me to take these places for granted after going up enough times, but threads like this are a good reminder that not everyone can visit these awesome locations as easily as I can.

3. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2009 Texas

Thanks for posting. Wife and I are making the trek to VT very soon and threads like these are super helpful.

4. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (229) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Sounds like an awesome trip! We were supposed to go to Burlington this weekend but postponed until next weekend on account of the rain, fingers crossed for better weather soon!

5. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,822) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I really enjoyed your post! I love New England (except for the Red Sox and Patriots) and very soon we are taking our 14th annual trip to Maine. Can't wait!

6. TheMagnanimous

TheMagnanimous Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2011 Vermont

Thanks this is a great write-up which I hope people will reference in the future.

Hard to go wrong following that itinerary, as long as people pay attention to hours.

7. TastyBeverage

TastyBeverage Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2015 Georgia

Thanks for posting this information. I am going to be in Portland next week for a few days. Other then Maine beer company and bissell bros, I dont have big plans. Any recommendations for dinner with great beer selections or a great bottle shop?

8. DrStiffington

Society

Stop at Allagash/Foundation/Austin St. breweries. They're all on the same street. Bottle Shops are RSVP and Craft Bier Cellar. As for dinner, we always do Flatbread Pizza Co. Great organic pizza and a very good tap list. Of course, we have kids so I'm sure there are better dinner options.

9. Sweatshirt

Sweatshirt Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2014 New Hampshire
    Deactivated

Kings Head is very nice. Do not miss out on a trip to Oxbow either.

rhino88888888 and DrStiffington like this.
  10. Phineasco

Phineasco Initiate (0) Sep 4, 2016 Massachusetts

I'm thinking of driving up to Portland in two weeks on the 9th to get the Substance and Reciprocal release than stopping by Foundation to get a few 4 packs of Epiphany. If you can make the trip on a wed morning it would be a good time to go.
    Swish is being released on the following Saturday, but I think it's too risky I don't want to drive 2 hours and strike out on cans.

11. DrStiffington

Society

Do Foundation beers hang around? I've been able to get stuff the last few years but it seems like things are getting harder to get. I'll be up in Portland that Saturday you're talking about. I'm assuming I won't get Bissell this year but I at least want some Foundation.

TastyBeverage likes this.
  12. Phineasco

I'll let you know when I go. The guys who work their say epipiphany goes around mid day, other beers last longer. Foundation is releasing epiphany and afterglow on wed and sat. I think afterglow is good but I'll probably skip it.

jimmyfausto likes this.
  13. BierCellar

BierCellar Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2012 Maine

Just a heads up, we allow paid holds on our website and we have Foundation Venture, Afterglow and their barrel aged Dark Side Corruption up there right now. Takes some of the guess work out of a few of those. They drop today, canned yesterday.

rhino88888888 and DrStiffington like this.
  14. RobCorriveau

RobCorriveau Initiate (91) Dec 15, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

I had the same question on Wednesday. I need to stock up for the holidays and the only time I can go is Wednesday the 2nd. That puts me in line for Substance and I-Lucky which is great, but I'd like to get some Foundation while I'm up there. Looks like Afterglow and Venture are released today and Saturday, but then nothing again until the 9th. Has anyone been on a Wednesday and come home empty handed?

Do they do growlers?

15. DrStiffington

Society

I checked out your website but I couldn't find anything about paid holds.

16. jbart

jbart Devotee (461) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

It's not called "paid holds" on the site. You just shop for what you want, add the beers to your online cart, pay, and then pick-up at the store.

17. DrStiffington

Society

Huh. I got to the pay part but it looked like it was for shipping. I didn't see an option for holding.

18. jbart

jbart Devotee (461) Oct 2, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

They don't actually ship. Everything has to be picked up at their store. When you get to the shipping method, it will say "Pickup at Store."

DrStiffington likes this.
  19. DrStiffington

Society

Great thanks.

20. BierCellar

Sorry, just got a chance to jump back on. We can't legally ship beer in Maine or out of Maine, a law we are working on in the next legislative session to change. For now, orders must be picked up in store. Sorry, the nomenclature I used could have been better, we used to just allow emailed holds, that migrated to paid, so the wording stuck. Really they are orders that are picked up in store.

Thanks

Greg

DoctorD and DrStiffington like this.
  21. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

Yes Foundation does growlers. They almost always have Epiphany for growler fills. They have cans until the afternoon usually, but there is no can release for Nov. 2. They may still have cans of Venture and Afterglow from Saturday. If your a fan of sours or other styles they will have several bottles, pricey but good. Be sure to check out Austin St on the other side. Fore River Brewing, Lone Pine, Oxbow, Liquid Riot, and Rising Tide are other good stops. Foulmouthed Brewing is a good stop for beer and great food.

22. JackStrawWichita

JackStrawWichita Initiate (132) Jan 4, 2003 Maine

With soon to come Battery Steele Brewing...

23. BigMike346

BigMike346 Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2015 Vermont

How long do you allow holds for? I will be in Portland the week of Nov 20

Thanks
    Mike

24. BierCellar

Typically a week on hoppy stuff, no limit on sours, stouts, wilds, etc.

25. DrStiffington

Society

How do you stop someone from paying for an IPA online if they're not coming in for like 2 weeks? Curious how it works. I'll be there on the 12th.

26. BierCellar

When the order is processed online, it only authorizes your card, we don't actually charge until you pick it up. If the beer has been sitting too long, we send out an email letting you know we are cancelling the order.

27. DrStiffington

Society

Good to know. Thanks.

28. ricknelson

ricknelson Devotee (445) Feb 20, 2010 Vermont

I know it's a tourist trap, but still a must go place for dinner for me. DeMIllo's on the waterfront. Sandy's on Portland outskirts is dive restaurant, but has great seafood. Lost Bear is a landmark beer joint. Downtown Portland has a lot of great bars too. But you really should go down the road 30 miles, to Kittery and go to Tributary Brewing. Tod Mott (owner/brewer) is one of the founding fathers of micro-brews in New England. He came up with Kate the Great. Now he offers Mott the Lesser. Also nearby in downtown Kittery is The Black Birch; great beer joint and great food.

#28 ricknelson, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    TastyBeverage and DrStiffington like this.
  29. Phineasco

I went to BB today. There were 15 people there at open, no line but it was a Wednesday. They said the swish release will be crazy again, even though they will have 6 lines and will open at 10. I like how they have had swish on tap for a month. I got the last 4 pack of hoof hearted dragonsaddle triple IPA at RSVP, but bier cellar might have it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.