Meadowlark IPA in MA?

Discussion in 'New England' started by Stormfield, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (170) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Has anyone seen Pretty Things Meadowlark IPA on the shelves in southeastern MA yet? I know metro-boston stores have it, but looking for it a bit closer to home.

2. jbertsch

jbertsch Meyvn (1,218) Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

I'm looking for it, too. I assume the rest of us will see it this week because places like Julio's and Craft Beer Cellar got it last week, and those stores usually get releases a week before most other stores.

The reviews sound as promising as I hope they would.

3. polishkaz

polishkaz Initiate (0) May 30, 2011 Connecticut

Had one tonight and it's great.

4. Sirencio

Sirencio Initiate (33) May 25, 2005 Massachusetts

Redstone got it this week as well.

If you check out Pretty Thing's Twitter, they have a tendency to retweet whenever a bar or bottle shop announces they have it.

Ganglani likes this.
  5. grotonmarketguy

grotonmarketguy Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2005 Massachusetts

Its Awesome.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  6. KBrennan1000

KBrennan1000 Initiate (90) Sep 20, 2010 Massachusetts

I was informed by our sales rep that it will be available to us either this week or next. My guess would be next week since this is a pretty crazy week, with the holiday and all.

7. Providence

Providence Crusader (706) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I didn't see it at Yankee in Attleboro when I was there on Sunday.

I am already a ridiculous fan of Pretty Things, if they hit an IPA out of the park they are going to a whole other level!

Anyone have a pic of the bottle art? I should probably just check their website.....

8. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Initiate (77) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

Much better than the seemingly more sought-after (and rarer) Ruination 10th anniv.

9. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (374) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Good stuff. Deliciously hoppy but not so big or unbalanced to ever become oppressive.

10. Cakanator

Cakanator Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Russell's in Amherst just got it.

11. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (853) Aug 26, 2009 California

I'll be visiting a friend in Weymouth tomorrow for the 4th so I figure I'll make a stop at Granite Liquors while I'm down therein. Anyone know if they have it yet?

12. PackieMcHopHead

PackieMcHopHead Initiate (110) Oct 1, 2009 Massachusetts

Funny you said that as I had both side by side last weekend. I thought Meadowlark was the clear choice over Ruination 10th. I was getting a little bored with Pretty Things (their X series didn't do anything for me) but this IPA has resparked by love for them. Best new beer I've had in a while. Well done Dan.

BleepBloopBlap likes this.
  13. Patrick

Patrick Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2007 Massachusetts
    Deactivated

I'll admit that I love everything Pretty Things does, but how do you get bored when they are always doing something new? The X Ales were fantastic, and it was awesome to taste a bit of history. Maybe I am a bit too geeky when it comes to beer.

14. jbertsch

Granite didn't have any on Sunday, but they may have gotten a shipment in since then. I just picked some up today at blanchards in West Roxbury...they said they just got theirs in today.

15. Kinsman

Kinsman Champion (853) Aug 26, 2009 California

I'll keep my fingers crossed. I often make trips across the border to MA for beer and Pretty Things is just one of many breweries I look for when I'm there so I'm sure I'll find something. I find it quite hard to walk out of a good store disappointed these days.

16. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (126) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

Is there anything remotely comparable about the two, though, except that they both say IPA on the label and came out around here this week? I thought Meadowlark was supposed to be just a good (maybe excellent) standard AIPA, and Ruin10 specifically was meant to rip your palate apart and clunk you over the head. (Haven't had either, and probably won't have Ruin10 since it's sold out everywhere I go.)

17. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (170) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

I couldn't wait any longer. The wife and I hopped in the car yesterday and drove up to Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont. Bribed the wife by offering to buy her dinner at Kashish on the same block (very nice Indian food).

Savoring my first glass of it right now.... It's an excellent, excellent IPA. Aroma reminds me of Hill Farmstead IPAs and Pale Ales. Taste is wonderfully bitter (but not TOO bitter). Nice body, not too thin like some IPAs. PT has possibly laid claim to the best IPA made in MA.

Really. I wouldn't compare it to a DIPA, that would be too extreme. It is almost like an in-between. Not exactly a single (7% ABV attests to that), but not nearly a double. Perfect.

OK. Now for more.

18. PackieMcHopHead

PackieMcHopHead Initiate (110) Oct 1, 2009 Massachusetts

The X Ales were interesting to try once, but I wasn't compelled to have another. Don't get me wrong, PT is outstanding, but nothing's really blown me away like the first try of Jack D'or did. At least not until Meadowlark, which I just ran out and bought three more bottles. So very very good.

19. jbertsch

Just tried my first bottle. I think it's good but I also realize this is a great example of my own expectations of a beer being too high beacuse it doesnt quite taste the way I was hoping it would. I still have one more bomber left so Ill wait to review it until I have my second bottle. It'll be interesting to see if my palate receives it differently when I have that second bottle in a couple of days.

20. BleepBloopBlap

BleepBloopBlap Initiate (77) Aug 19, 2011 Massachusetts

The point was that they're both new/sought after IPAs but Meadowlark is better without as much fan fare.

21. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Aspirant (217) Oct 23, 2009 Oregon

Has this hit Boston proper yet? I'm visiting from Portland, OR and would love to take a couple bottles back in the checked bag. Coincidentally, I'm at The Publick House right now, and it's on the draft menu, but they no longer have it. :slight_frown: Any help on a good bottle shop easily accessible from the T that might have this (or other great North East selections) will be greatly appreciated!

22. Richard33

Richard33 Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2012 Massachusetts

It should be in most good bottle shops in Boston. Public transit spots: Downtown Wine and Spirits is Red line Davis square, Boston Wine exchange in downtown is accesible from all lines, If you're at Publick House, Coolidge Corner Wine and Spirits is a twenty minute walk down Beacon and they may have it. The beer is worth seeking out, good luck.

23. teddyarrowhead

teddyarrowhead Aspirant (217) Oct 23, 2009 Oregon

Thanks! The friends I'm crashing with are right off the Davis Square stop, and I saw that store on my way to the T this afternoon. I'll be sure to swing by tomorrow.

24. bradalmanac

bradalmanac Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts

I was going to suggest Marty's Big Buys in Allston, but I just called and they've run out. If you aren't able to find bottles, but still want to try it before you go, it was on tap as of Sunday night at Deep Ellum in Allston. Seemed like everyone was ordering it, though, so it could be kicked already. PT definitely knocked this one out of the park.

25. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

As of Sat. there was at least a case of Meadowlark at Cambridge Wine and Spirits in fresh pond hidden in the "unshelved" section. Best price I've seen in the area too at $6.49. 5- 10 min. walk from Alewife T station. Call first.

I thought it was a nice IPA but prefered it on draft and thought it was in the fresh Racer5 vein.

26. BogleHill

BogleHill Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Damn it's good! I just got the last 2 bottles they had at Julio's - I think they have another shipment coming in soon though.

27. jomobono

jomobono Aspirant (259) Mar 12, 2012 Massachusetts

28. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire Initiate (131) Dec 20, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

I agree with your assessment. I'd put it in the same category as mbc lunch, blind pig, and ballast point sculpin. Great beers, but please do not call them dipas. Doing so is a disservice to beer.

29. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Initiate (0) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

this beer is mega fucking awesome!!!!

30. MarkF150

MarkF150 Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2009 Massachusetts

Medowlark is great. Saw it this past weekend at Julio's and Redstone.

31. Pegli

Pegli Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2006 Rhode Island

FWI - I just picked up 4 bottles in Cranston...bottled July 2012...some more on the shelf and an unopened case on the floor.

32. Providence

Providence Crusader (706) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Cool! I checked out that place in Cranston, finally. They have a great selection. I love how they have various mini kegs for sale, I think the more mini keg offerings in this world the better. Thanks again for the tip!

33. Pegli

Can't agree more !

34. Pegli

What a fantastic IPA...the texture of this beer is sublime !

35. KBrennan1000

KBrennan1000 Initiate (90) Sep 20, 2010 Massachusetts

Just arrived in Hyannis. Already sold 4 bottles so it's going FAST.

36. Trevdawg

Trevdawg Initiate (0) Feb 9, 2012 New Hampshire

I checked out Mass Liquors last night in Worcester. They were sold out but said they were getting one more shipment. Not sure how much.

Cheers

37. JohnnyP

JohnnyP Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2000 Massachusetts

I agree with others who say that Meadowlark is delicious! It packs a kick to boot - I love it!

38. DrunkethWizard

DrunkethWizard Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2012 California

Just reviewed this one and I've got to say that this beer is hands down... totally radical!

39. splendidsplinter

splendidsplinter Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2008 Massachusetts

On tap at Alchemy in Gloucester -- a fantastic surprise!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.