Meal/Snack for BA Stout session?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by OnlyTheFinest, Aug 5, 2018.

1. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (178) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Trader

I've always wondered if there was a quick, preferred food to balance out a BA Stout session of any measure

You know, something to ease the buzz that comes from personally killing a 750ml BA stout by yourself

Halp

2. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (256) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Heavy meat dishes go well with stouts.

3. MNAle

MNAle Savant (921) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

You could always try yogurt with a teaspoon of yeast... :wink:

4. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,258) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Anything before you drink helps, solid sandwich or something that can soak up the booze. That and water, if you hydrate right you should never feel that bad the next day.

5. rudiecantfail

rudiecantfail Disciple (344) Aug 9, 2011 Pennsylvania

The fancier the beer, the less likely I am to pair it with food. I want to enjoy the beer itself. But, as AZBeerDude72 mentioned, it'd be a good idea to have the stomach lined first.

6. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (82) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado

Food isn't really going to do anything, its mostly a myth. Share it with a friend or cork it and drink it in 2 days if you're actually worried.

RobNewton likes this.
  7. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (624) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium

What the pack here has said, start with a nicely full stomach, and you're good. That said, the last time I did a bunch of BA stouts with friends, I served them all a slice of this (see link), but subbed in an OB TenFidy instead of the puny Guinness. Unbelievably good.
    https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1875-chocolate-guinness-cake

8. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,749) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

With a stout, barrel aged or not, I like a simple hard cheese, nothing fancy, just a good hard cheddar and a crust of bread or crackers - a baguette works well but there are many other options. Depending on your tastes and how well your tastebuds and olfactory senses adjust that could be a very sharp cheddar or a very basic one, or even a simple fatty cheese like Monterey Jack will work perfectly instead. I'll also suggest, if you want to round it out, some sliced ham or roast beef, but nothing too spicy.

TrojanRB, tylerstubs, Dan411 and 4 others like this.
  9. MNAle

What eating before drinking does is slow the absorption rate of alcohol. IOW, it takes longer to reach your peak BAC. You'll still get there, but more slowly. This allows the liver more time to process the alcohol, so (depending on how much & what you eat and what and how fast you drink) it MAY reduce your peak BAC.

10. rypkr

rypkr Crusader (770) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

^ what he said.

And I generally like pretzels for a palate cleanser if sampling multiple beers.

utopiajane and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  11. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (9,749) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania

So when we say "a BA Stout session of any measure" how much are we talking about? I'd imagine that 3 to 5 BA stouts would be max, and with that realizing that you won't be tasting the last 2 as you really should - but life is not always about tasting beers! On the other hand, if these are stronger versions I generally go for one or two while I'm relaxing with a book or movie and don't even bother to rate them.

12. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,916) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

Our shares are usually pretty heavy on BA stouts. We usually have crackers, cheese, and summer sausage for snacks, and pulled pork sliders or ham sandwiches are usually on the meal menu.

I'm partial to hummus and pita chips. Pairs well with everything.

Dan411, utopiajane and Bigrock like this.
  13. readyski

readyski Aspirant (220) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Yep no need to pair it just make sure you lay down a solid base of food prior to drinking that bad boy :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

utopiajane and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  14. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (747) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

I'll join everybody else in this thread by saying, "WTF did you get that information?".

15. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (137) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

I prefer dark chocolate or some lightly roasted nuts to pair with most heavy Imperial Stouts

utopiajane likes this.
  16. moshea

moshea Devotee (451) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

750ml of water

17. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (583) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

fried chicken.

dcotom and RobNewton like this.
  18. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Crusader (760) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

I first read this and thought you were asking for a food pairing for a "barrel-aged session stout".

Talk about your oxymorons.

OnlyTheFinest and Lucular like this.
  19. moshea

moshea Devotee (451) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

They do exist. I don;t care for them, but they do exist

Lahey and AlcahueteJ like this.
  20. Lahey

Lahey Aspirant (286) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Closest thing to a session barrel aged stout I liked was 8%. Anything lower was too thin to handle the barrel flavor, if that makes sense.

dcotom, Dan411 and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  21. MNAle

I don't think a true "session" anything can handle barrel aging very well. ("Session" = less than 5% ABV, or, traditionally, less than 4% ABV).

Traditional stouts (e.g. Irish, UK) are both session and thin.

22. BeardedWalrus

BeardedWalrus Initiate (93) Jun 5, 2018 North Carolina

Like other have said, a good meat based meal beforehand will do you plenty of favors. Personally I treat any sort of high gravity, barrel aged beer as a meal unto itself.

OnlyTheFinest likes this.
  23. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (187) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Good crusty bread and/or good crackers. Some charcuterie and good cheese. And of course, water.

utopiajane and dcotom like this.
  24. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (85) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

Meat and cheese pairings works well for me, with some Carr's table water crackers. Lately I have been enjoying some Sopressata with some honey goat cheese. Nice combo that slows the punch of heavy ABV offerings.

DISKORD likes this.
  25. HopsDubosc

HopsDubosc Initiate (131) Apr 24, 2015 Vermont

Goya digestive biscuits

26. generallee

generallee Meyvn (1,435) Apr 5, 2008 Virginia

How about some pizza shooters, shrimp poppers, or extreme fajitas?
    [​IMG]

27. OnlyTheFinest

OnlyTheFinest Initiate (178) Feb 5, 2016 Maine
    Trader

Solid posts all around

Thanks everyone. I'll go with a thick Reuben sandwich for BA affo

Harrison8 and Lahey like this.
  28. nomisugitai

nomisugitai Initiate (91) Mar 11, 2006 New Jersey

Can't go wrong with traditional oysters and stout. I'll agree with all of the cheese and bread people too.

29. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (248) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Homemade peanut butter melaways for sure. Would even go with chocolate chip cookies.

30. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,622) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois

I've found that, across the board, pistachios are my favorite "beer session" snack.

A handful will be substantial but not overly filling. They have flavor but don't dominate your palate. Plus, they are fun to break open!

Harrison8, utopiajane and Lahey like this.
  31. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (1,897) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

A nice thick lean top sirloin steak, plastered in my own rub (sugar, black pepper, Montreal Steak, Cajun spice, chili garlic, garlic powder, and another random spice), rested at room temperature for 30 minutes, then grilled at 550+ degrees F direct heat for six minutes a side (with Alexa timing), turned only once, removed from heat, rested 5 minutes, and served with no sauce. Only elk steaks could be better.

#31 bbtkd, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  32. papposilenus

papposilenus Champion (861) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

This. And a fine meal deserves a fine dessert. I'm partial to carrot cake or cheese cake - there's just something about the cream cheese after a barreled stout.

33. billydrinksbeer

billydrinksbeer Initiate (82) Sep 15, 2017 Colorado

I guess I wasnt really clear what OP wanted and what I said wasnt clear, it is a myth that eating food after you are already drunk will sober you up, I thought that is what OP meant, I realize now he probably meant something to eat before

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  34. stevepat

stevepat Aspirant (288) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

All the nonsense preceding me is probably 100% true, I will just add that I think a bit of sea salt in the water (you should drink water during any drinking session that the fun police would call binge drinking i.e. more than 5 drinks, boys) will help tremendously, especially if you're drinking municipal water or filtered water that is largely devoid of minerals. Also, adding in some magnesium (malate or glucinate are best, citrate is basically useless) will mitigate hangover as well.
    To me water is a crucial part of enjoying a good bout of drinking big beers to what others might call excess. It slows your drinking down, clears your palette, mitigates the morning downsides, and helps the liver/kidneys. Wins all around

utopiajane likes this.
  35. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (747) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

That's definitely a myth, although I don't know a lot of people who subscribe to it. Interestingly enough, though, consumption of a high protein meal before retiring will help to prevent a hangover. Either that or taking the amino acid taurine, as it hastens the metabolism of ethyl alcohol to acetate by increasing the production of the enzyme aldehyde dehydrogenase.

36. papposilenus

papposilenus Champion (861) Jun 21, 2014 New Hampshire

Somebody's thinking too hard.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  37. dvmin98

dvmin98 Site Editor (2,604) Nov 1, 2010 North Carolina
    Premium

When I do a large BA stout tasting, I always go for holding the share at Golden Corral. You can get unlimited meats...unlimited. And the chocolate fountain is good too. Oh wait, I just chill and eat chips

Harrison8 likes this.
  38. MNAle

Golden Corral allows BYOB?

Harrison8 likes this.
  39. BalancingBrooms

BalancingBrooms Disciple (380) Aug 22, 2013 Louisiana

40. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (82) Dec 6, 2014 California

Candied pecans, cheddar cheese sopressata salami, chocolate