News Melvin Brewing employee accused of sexual misconduct

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,598) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

From: http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/allegations-of-sexual-misconduct-land-melvin-brewing-in-hot-water/
    More: http://www.jhnewsandguide.com/jacks...cle_6f88d960-b031-59ad-bb13-a8a9e6d02579.html

2. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,979) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

A brewery employee acting inappropriately after sampling too much of the product is unacceptable. The brewery making a joke out it is inexcusable.

3. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (416) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Dystopian State breathes a sigh of relief the spotlight is off them... actually enough time has gone by I guess it was already off them.

In all seriousness, craft beer is getting crowded, and stupid shit like this is a mistake craft brewers should not be making, and cannot afford to make.

LuskusDelph, wyoming and beertunes like this.
  4. zid

zid Champion (881) Feb 15, 2010 New York

Just to clarify, if you are saying that because of their other incident on the web, the two are not related. Since your post, the thread has been split into two separate threads.

5. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,267) Dec 25, 2003 California

Is this really news?

I assume someone at Stone, Anheuser-Busch and Coors have done something similar.

Pick any group sufficiently large and there will be a deviant working there.

6. DIM

DIM Poo-Bah (2,349) Sep 28, 2006 Pennsylvania

I agree, this is not BEER news. Will there be a thread every time a low level brewery employee gets picked up for a DUI, drugs, domestic violence etc?

I capitalized "BEER" because this employee's crime IS news and absolutely should be reported by local media. Crimes like his are inexcusable and publicizing them will hopefully help end them. This pig acting like a pig just isn't beer news imo.

bound4er, LuskusDelph and wyoming like this.
  7. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (5,443) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Trader

It was the owner, and head brewery at their main location.

Buck89 likes this.
  8. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,979) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

What I was saying is while an employee's acts may be unacceptable a company creating a culture that treats such conduct in a joking manner is inexcusable. Whether the actions of one may be completely separate from the other makes no difference.

tolar111 and LeRose like this.
  9. DIM

Are you sure? Can you find where in the article that says it was the owner that did the inappropriate touching?

10. zid

I misinterpreted you.

LuskusDelph and Squire like this.
  11. beertunes

Trader

The head brewer did the groping, both were present, both had opened cans of their own beer. When the bartender came over to tell they couldn't do that, is when she was told "it's ok", and then grabbed.

FBarber likes this.
  12. DIM

I'm not disbelieving you, but what is your source? That information is not in the article.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  13. beertunes

Trader

The victim's mouth to my ear. As mentioned in another post, the other brewery also kinda kept it out of the media, but weren't shy about telling anyone who asked. I heard second hand, and asked directly.

LeRose, FBarber, Buck89 and 4 others like this.
  14. DIM

Wow, thanks for the info. Absolutely inexcusable. Melvin recently began distributing in my area and I had been enjoying their offerings. They are now off my list. Again, I thank you.

LuskusDelph and beertunes like this.
  15. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (793) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

@EvenMoreJesus i believe I predicted this :wink:

And on a more serious note...this shit has to stop. I’ve been in the beer business long enough to know that this kind of stuff is way more commonplace than it should be.
    We teach our kids to keep their hands to themselves. Adults should know better.

This is how you get ‘bitchy’ bartenders. Girls trying to make a couple of bucks pushing pints who have to deal with this bullshit on a daily basis and eventually develope a fuck you attitude towards everyone as a defense mechanism.

The brewery creating an atmosphere where this kind of bs is acceptable is bad enough. Their tone-deaf response is even worse...

EvenMoreJesus, bret717, drtth and 5 others like this.
  16. zid

I'm not in any way trying to make light of the situation with the waitress, but beyond that, what kind of a brewer would sneak in their own beer to drink while at another brewery (and not feel ashamed when confronted about it)?

(granted, this could be somewhat inaccurate - I'm just basing this off of the reports)

17. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

@beertunes I immediately thought of you when I saw this. I remembered you hinting at what had happened ...

This is disgusting and inexcusable. Hopefully some good will come of this if it spurns other small craft breweries to preemptively crack down on any behavior that could lead to this behavior. The problem is a lot of sexist behavior and jokes are not only tolerated in the beer culture they are often part of it. Heres hoping that is cleaned out moving forward.

JohnnyChicago, beertunes and Buck89 like this.
  18. beertunes

Trader

As I mentioned in one of the threads, let's hope that they truly learn from this, get new insights, and we can all get back to the beer. Time heals, but only after the wound is opened.

wyoming and FBarber like this.
  19. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,257) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I just saw their old website and I'm in disbelief that it was up for so long. The owner didn't know about it? I'm not a snowflake - I have a daughter and this really pisses me off.

Squire and beertunes like this.
  20. beertunes

Trader

It's just part of their overall attitude. And, they didn't really try to "sneak" it. They may have thought they were doing some guerilla marketing. Shrug. The consensus around town is generally "we're not surprised, it was more of when, not if".

FBarber and zid like this.
  21. zid

Thanks for your response. People sometimes feel like brewer camaraderie isn’t what it once was. I can’t say if it is or isn’t, but I’m nonetheless surprised that brewers would drink their own beers at another brewery for kicks. Can people have a little respect for others in the same industry? (Although I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone doing such nonsense on AB InBev property because they think it’s cool.)

beertunes likes this.
  22. beertunes

Trader

Well, here in Bellingham, it mostly still is a thing. If one brewery gets in a jam, help is only a phone call (or a walk across the street) away. If we have 6-8 breweries all going to the same out-of-town beerfest, we'll share rides, only take 3 vans instead of 6. The breweries will join forces and do collective Brewers Nights in other towns. They drink at each others breweries and bars, bounce ideas off each other, combine orders to save on shipping, stuff like that. Melvin came in with their company persona fairly well developed, and they do take a different approach than the other breweries in town. But a couple other of our successful breweries (Wander and Structures) were started by folks who weren't from here, but wanted to be here, and be part of the community. I think once the dust settles from this Melvin will become a welcome part of our scene. At least, I hope so.

23. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (793) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

It’s a bad look. I’ve seen it before and it’s almost always frowned upon.
    You being your own beer.
    You give it to the bartender or your buddy at the brewery.
    You drink their beer (often for free, ffs).

Those are the unwritten rules.

If you really want to drink your own stuff, you bring it to the parking lot in the back or by the paktech or something. Cracking your own beer in someone else’s taproom is kinda a dick move.

“Thanks for welcoming me into your house. Don’t want to sample any of your wares and don’t want to tip any of your bartenders, because I’ll be treating this place like it’s my personal BYOB. I’ll feel free grab their asses though.”
    Yeah...sounds like a real cool dude.

24. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,126) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

What if the Melvin "employee" was a woman and she groped a guy's or gal's butt, would there be a similar expression of outrage?

tylerstubs likes this.
  25. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (309) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

The version of the story I was told is that they brought in a 6 pack to give to the owner as samples, and when he/she wasn't there they cracked them open to sample some other employees. Granted, it's never acceptable to open your own beer in someone else's bar without asking first, but it wasn't some nefarious "sneaking in our own beer so we drink for free" thing.

zid likes this.
  26. beertunes

Trader

If that version is true, why wouldn't they have just told the bartender (who was the only person working that night) to put it in the cooler for when next they came in? And, by WA LCB law, an employee has to open, just like if a store/bar has bottles for on-site consumption. Given your experience in the industry, I'm a bit surprised a bells didn't go off in your head when you heard that version.

27. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (536) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

I agree with you that what happened was inexcusable, so please excuse me for being pedantic... but you just showed why this is beer news. When an incident occurs that makes people think twice about buying a brewery's beer, I think that's beer[-related] news. Many people are quick to claim the topic is not news or worth discussion if it's a topic they don't care about or makes them uncomfortable, so I wanted to counter that sort of mindset.

To everyone, Melvin made a statement in the Mountain region forums about this incident:

Todd, JackHorzempa and beertunes like this.
  28. DIM

@Ranbot

The head brewer being the guilty party and the owner being present certainly makes this beer news. The article quoted in the original post only mentioned an employee. If that was still the only information available to me, I would stand by my original post. Also my original post made it clear that I do consider this a newsworthy topic worth discussing, I resent your implying otherwise.

#28 DIM, Mar 13, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    Ranbot and beertunes like this.
  29. ndepriest

ndepriest Initiate (199) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Trader

As soon as that starts happening in every bar/brewery/place of work across the country, sure, we can talk about it. Until then, maybe shut up and listen to what's actually going on.

30. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,126) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Trader

That rude remark was uncalled for.

tylerstubs likes this.
  31. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (809) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

You did, indeed.

32. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (809) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

If it's not yours, don't touch it. Pretty simple stuff, IMO.

Terrible look, that.

JohnnyChicago and beertunes like this.
  33. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (536) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

That's why actually why I included your original quote that said it should be reported to the local media. I was honestly not trying to misrepresent you, but I can see how it appears that way. No offense was intended, and I think we're in more agreement than disagreement on main topic of Melvin. My comment was less directed at you personally than to a larger issue that happens often around here [and elsewhere online] when uncomfortable topics come up.

beertunes likes this.
  34. DIM

Fair enough, cheers.

Ranbot likes this.