Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Mexican Cake Info

Discussion in 'South-Atlantic' started by mikeincharleston, May 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FutureCowboy

FutureCowboy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2008 South Carolina

Heeeeeeeey. I didn't do nothin'!

mikeincharleston likes this.
  2. FutureCowboy

FutureCowboy Initiate (0) Feb 20, 2008 South Carolina

Rascal is my middle name. So is Danger.

Call me Rascal Danger.

nickmcc likes this.
  3. mikeincharleston

mikeincharleston Defender (643) May 1, 2009 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Look when shit goes wrong you blame Timmons. Just how it work

FutureCowboy likes this.
  4. mikeincharleston

Beer Trader

Yeah. You may have to live in the tool shed though.

5. JISurfer

JISurfer Poo-Bah (1,659) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Huh huh.. you said, "tool"

6. JISurfer

Beer Trader

Yeah, I know what PC means. Obviously a failed attempt to point out SC's rich history of anti-PC-ness.

7. businesstime

businesstime Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 South Carolina

For those going to Westbrook next Friday, what time are you planning to arrive? I'm trying to get a friend to go, since I can't make the drive down, but I'd hate to have her stand in line for several hours with no guarantee of anything. Thanks, in advance.

8. jp7161

jp7161 Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

You can get a shot for that

raverjames likes this.
  9. Circleo12

Circleo12 Devotee (451) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Less than a week away....who's going? What time you getting there, etc? I'm still debating it all...

10. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

No one is going the release was canceled, everyone stay at home! :slight_smile:

Mjmoser likes this.
  11. raverjames

raverjames Initiate (0) Dec 11, 2003 Virginia
    Beer Trader

This is true. All the cases are full and the labels are on the bottles. Now they can be stored for a 2014 release.

JISurfer likes this.
  12. JISurfer

Beer Trader

Campin' out in the bushes next to the brewery or under the Wando bridge in case it rains. Got it all figured out.

13. Spider889

Spider889 Savant (981) Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Industry Beer Trader

In all seriousness though, if I showed up at 2:30/3 what is the liklihood of getting bottles? I only want one each or maybe 2 total, so the drive isn't going to be worth it if everyone who waited under 4 hours will get shut out.

I appreciate anyone willing to reply based on past releases. Thanks.

14. Netdigger2

Netdigger2 Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2011 South Carolina

I don't think anyone can answer that. I don't believe they've ever had a release of anything quite like BA MC. For Barrel-aged Sexual Chocolate at Foothills, you don't get bottles if you aren't there 2 hrs early.

ridecalm likes this.
  15. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

I understand that BA MC is a new thing and that the beer is one of the hot new trade forum items, I was just curious how the last release there went. There's no certainty with any of these releases; I'm just trying to guage my chances if I'm unable to arrive super early. This is compounded because there'd be no consolation prize of trying one of the variants on tap. I know the risks and I know that to be safe I ought to show up at 8am or something. But I'm just curious right now about the regular MC release before we mentally hype this thing into insanity.

16. mikeincharleston

Beer Trader

The thing is we have never done a small brewery only release. We did a brewery only release of some other BA beer but it was a good amount so it wasn't crazy at all. Then with regular Mexican cake there were 500 cases so it was really easy to get at the brewery, you could get whatever you wanted. This is going to be different for us. Wish we knew more, just know its gonna be a little wild

17. Netdigger2

As long as our daughter doesn't come early, if you drive down from Ohio- I will personally open a bottle of each (if the limit doesn't drop below 3) and share them with you

18. businesstime

businesstime Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2011 South Carolina

Thanks, mikeincharleston. I hope that, if you take a head count and decide to alter the amounts given out, and still know that some folks won't get any at all, that you will be kind enough to alert said folks about the shortage so they're not forced to wait 3 hours in line only to find out they have to leave empty-handed.

19. normyk

normyk Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2007 Ohio

Debating attending. Long drive from Ohio. Kind of in the same boat as Spider889.

20. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,787) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

If people are really coming from Ohio this will certainly be a clusterfuck. Im still trying to decide what would be a reasonable time to get there, and have no idea.

RayUF07 likes this.
  21. Head-high

Head-high Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2012 Virginia
    Beer Trader

My buddy (who is my chance at getting it) will get there slightly before 3:00. If he misses, to me, it's no big deal. But he will be upset since he lives around the corner and fills his growler there every weekend and has for a long time. He's never seen a release like this though. He loves good beer and Westbrook but is not in the good beer scene. He thinks because he is local and a regular patron he will be able to get some. Hope he's right but I doubt it.

22. thegoon55

thegoon55 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Forecast- limit one bottle each.

23. Netdigger2

I wouldn't think they'd drop it below 2, I doubt they would want to ring out 140 cases, 1 bottle at a time, on a working day. Just my feeling though

24. JISurfer

Beer Trader

I would think 2 bottles per variation would be fair and would ensure that a lot of folks would get it. That's just my opinion though.

RyanSchwam and JulianB like this.
  25. Netdigger2

I agree. 4 sounds better though :slight_smile:

26. JISurfer

Beer Trader

Yeah, 4 of each is good, but too rich for my blood. I'm probably only going to get 1 bottle total. Trying to decide is going to be hard.

27. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

I'm a fan of the Jackie O's approach:limited allotments on the first run through, then if any remains make a second pass if anyone wants more. Same number/order. I'm all for rewarding those willing to wait in line for their favorite brewery release, but I'm also in favor of practices that discourage early line hysteria if possible. I'd rather see more people (within reason) get to try a beer than a few buy cases and trade it all away. Like I said I really am more than happy to have one of each tops.

Plus, not everyone has a job (or no job) which allows them to attend a midday weekday release. I'll bet there are going to be some sad locals missing out for this reason alone. If the fan down the street can manage to get off work an hour early and show up at 3:30 and get a few bottles I think limiting things is fair.

Also if it makes the concerned locals feel any better I'm not driving from Ohio, I'm driving back from a family vacation in Florida and have decided to make a detour through Charleston. I also have a Great Aunt in Charleston and was already planning to stop through Asheville on my last leg home if possible anyways so a straight shot home wasn't suddenly altered.

In short though this seemed like an awesome and fun way to end a vacation. If people are that concerned I can save myself the stress and rush and bow out...

28. madnismo

madnismo Disciple (315) Jan 30, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

There's a bus load of us coming from FL:wink:

Spider889 and michaeljstraub like this.
  29. michaeljstraub

michaeljstraub Aspirant (294) Oct 6, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Same from the ATL. I'll see you all there

30. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

Can't you guys be satisfied with terrorizing an Arby's like any normal tour bus?

31. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (1,787) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Yeah tahts what I was thinking. It could go both ways. I can see showing up around noon and being the one of only a couple people standing around all day. I could also see showing up at noon to a huge line. No way to tell.

On a related note, can something be done to prophylactically prevent line cutting, especially last minute line cutting. I still have nightmares from Hunhapu Day......

32. Circleo12

Circleo12 Devotee (451) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Good luck getting the stash, gents and gals! I've decided against driving down from the Upstate, but I hope everyone gets their fair share of the good stuff. Oh, and if/when one of ya'll gets an extra Apple Brandy BA version, let me know! :wink:

33. Spider889

Industry Beer Trader

As far as cutting goes there will always be cheaters, those who feel entitled, and oblivious rude people. But again to reference Jackie O's, they put out their "numbers" hours before the sale and now allow you to grab them and leave, coming back at the specified time of sale. I suppose it's kind of involved but it limits how long you have to stand in line and limits the time frame for shenanigans.

No system is perfect though and this one would suck if more than 100-150 people showed up.

As much fun as bottle sharing can be, not allowing it also is a great way to keep people from floating around in line, forgetting where they were, getting drunk/upset/belligerent because they feel slighted, etc. Sadly the size of even modest releases today are so much larger and crazier then the "big" ones of years past.

34. JISurfer

Beer Trader

Yes, mob rules. If anyone cuts, they will regret it.

zac16125 likes this.
  35. Shilt

Shilt Disciple (395) Dec 26, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I know a bunch of people coming from RVA as well. Don't kid yourselves people, a lot of people will show up for this and i would bet many will wait in line early. People will more than liely get shut out. This is a hyped release and people were given two weeks to prepare. I'm not personally heading down, but if people think they can show up at 3 or a little beforehand and receive bottles based on current allocations, then they haven't been following beer releases lately. Fwiw, I hope I'm wrong.

Bluecane likes this.
  36. RichardMNixon

RichardMNixon Zealot (515) Jun 24, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Going to be in Charleston from the 13th-20th. If anyone is interested in IP-trading one of these for some combination of stuff from MD/PA, please send me a PM.

37. ndepriest

ndepriest Aspirant (261) Feb 21, 2012 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I can't really say how I know, but Apple Brandy MC will give you diabetes. Pure, delicious diabetes. This will be one to share.

38. raverjames

Beer Trader

Working on the line cutting thing. Just have to run it by the boss (she may have some better ideas).

JulianB, chefkevlar and zac16125 like this.
  39. raverjames

Beer Trader

People sharing bottles in line will probably get on the brewery's sh1tlist, as the laws are very strict in SC. I think they plan to make a formal announcement about this, but I am not sure when that will go out.

chefkevlar likes this.
  40. papaholmz

papaholmz Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2012 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'm making the trip down from Greenville, SC. If anyone in this area wants to carpool down with me, BM me and we can work out the details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.