Latin America Mexican Craft Beers?

Discussion in 'The Rest of the World' started by MexiMart, Apr 26, 2012.

1. Trumpetguy

Trumpetguy Jul 16, 2005 Massachusetts

That is the exact torta I had! So delicious! Drank Calavera Pale Ale which is another contender for my fave Mexican beer. Thanks again! In Aguacalientes today and will hit the fine beer store( as well as the Mescal store:)

2. juankzas

juankzas Jun 13, 2008 Mexico

The problem with calavera is the homogeneity of their batches

3. Trumpetguy

Trumpetguy Jul 16, 2005 Massachusetts

Well at Barraca Valencia they were flawless! During my trip also had their imperial stout again and it was fantastic. I love that I shared this with my Mexican friends and they were blown away by that stout :) chalk up one for the gringo :)

4. huadog

huadog May 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

We are heading to Cabo San Lucas later this month for about a week. I see there are a couple of places listed on here - Baja Brewing and Restaurante Bar Rámuri - anything else I should be on the lookout for? Stores to pick stuff up at maybe?

5. costcrew04

costcrew04 Feb 19, 2013 California

Good news!!! I am the Area Sales Manager for Polaris Beverages. We are the Importer of the Cerveza Cucapa brand. We have now been in the San Diego area for the past 12 months and have been in the L.A. and O.C. area for about 100 days now. We are having a huge response! You guys interested in some areas where you can find it here in the states?

Altenor likes this.
  6. zeledonia

zeledonia Nov 23, 2008 Washington
    Beer Trader

Just spent 10 days in the Yucatan, and tried as many Mexican craft beers as I could find (which wasn't many). I hit up the Beer Box in Playa del Carmen, and was shocked at how small the selection was. I get the impression that's more indicative of the complete lack of availability than anything the store is doing wrong, but I have little basis for comparison.

By far the standout of the beers I had was La Chingoneria's Tenebrosa, a citrusy APA that's far better than most American ones. Second favorite was Alquimia's IPAlquimia, a nice clean Englishish IPA. Also had beers from Baja Brewing, Cerveceria Mexicana, Cerveceria Artesanal, and Siette Barrios, none of which were particularly impressive.

I have notes on all of these, and will add the beers and reviews soon.

Altenor likes this.
  7. Altenor

Altenor Aug 12, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

The craft beer movement is barely showing signs of growth in Mexico, especially after the new law that took away exclusivity to the big breweries (Modelo and Cuahtemoc) in stores, restaurants, etc. took effect. The largest Mexican craft breweries are Cucapa, Tijuana, and Minerva. They are the ones that are more widely distributed, not necessarily the best but they are the pioneers of the movement.
    It is really tough for everyone since the big breweries had like 99% control of the beer market but finally there is hope. I would dare to say that the best craft is done in the northern parts of Mexico, especially Baja California, because of its proximity to San Diego and the big influence it has. Some of the stand out breweries would be Cucapa, Minerva, Insurgente, 3B, 686, Border Psycho, Aguamala, Propaganda, Calavera, Ramuri, Peninsula, among others. There is great potential and people are beginning to take risks, it's just a matter of time.

Salud,

-Alfredo

CowsandBeer likes this.
  8. Mnmaverick

Mnmaverick Mar 23, 2013 Minnesota

I just came back from Mazatlan and despite my best efforts combing the city I failed to find a single craft beer in 2 weeks. Apparently there was a bar that served craft beer for a while but it closed in early 2013 (it got my hopes up when I googled it, only to be sorely disappointed when I found the building boarded up and for sale). If anyone ever finds anything there let me know!

9. zeledonia

Beer Trader

It would be awesome if folks who know these breweries could add them or submit updates. While trying to review the beers, I've run into some surprising things (breweries mentioned in this thread with no BA place page, info that seems to be wrong). I've submitted updates where I could figure things out, but I know very little about the Mexican craft beer scene, and I'm not exactly fluent in Spanish.

Also, it looks like a lot of people have been reviewing Cerveceria Mexicana's Day of the Dead beers, which I hear are now sold throughout the US, under the listing for a brewpub in Puerto Vallarta called Los Muertos. There are some odd similarities between the two, though, which in the US would probably lead to a lawsuit if they don't already have some kind of arrangement.

10. Cabotella

Cabotella Jan 15, 2014

There is a Mexican craft beer that is available in the Dallas/Fort Worth Area. It is called Cabotella and is made by Baja Brewing.
    I know in North Texas (Denton County) it is in Cheers and Shax liquors.
    It is a very good beer- They claim it is the first Mexican craft beer. It is light almost like a Blue Moon.

Just wanted you all to know. I think it is only in Texas and Mexico but I could be VERY wrong.
    http://www.cabotella.com/

11. Texan956

Texan956 Oct 24, 2013 Texas

You guys making it over to TX any time soon?

12. jrnyc

jrnyc Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Just seeing this thread now. Baja Brewing is ..... Eh. Compared to mass produced Mexican beer it is a good alternative, but compared to US craft beer it falls way short. Did you go to Ramuri, how was it?

Although the view at the Baja Brewing on Medano is spectacular!

13. AbelU

AbelU Jan 25, 2014 Mexico

It really depends, and just like the US (West Coast/East Coast), styles do vary by geography.

In Mexico, the North is very influenced by US styles, specially all of Baja (close to SD) and the Monterrey region; while further down south, is more influenced on European styles (has a lot to do with supplies they get over there, which are more german and Euro malts; compared to the north where they can go to HBS in CA/AZ/TX and get fresh stuff).

As for the "eh" in the above post; it pretty much sums its up. Some local supermarkets here in Tijuana have a Craft Beer section; so I bought a few. Needless to say, they were underwhelming; especially one brand (wont say names) that was around $4 dlls each 12oz bottle and had NO carbonation!!! Totally unacceptable. Also, there are many new breweries popping up that do contract brewery with Cervezas Mexicana (of the Day of The Dead beer fame) and they are pretty bad. Which is kinda suprising considered that its a contract brewery beer.

My advice is that you buy close to the source, main hubs I see right now is Baja (Tijuana and Mexicali), Monterrey and around Mexico City (Primus, Minerva, Calavera).

I recently finished up my MBA with a thesis of the craft beer movement in Mexico, Ive been meaning to translate to English, if anyone is interested. Summed up, most of the issues US Craft Beer saw in the beginning are happening in Mexico. The main difference I see quality wise, is that in the US, most breweries where started by homebrewers; where as in Mexico, some people have identified the market and its surge, but do not necesarrily have a HB background and are interested in making a quick buck.

Some events coming up are Ensenada Beerfest (Mar 21), Mexicali Beer Fest (Apr 12) and a Tijuana Craft Beer fest in (May 31). Theres is a huge expo in Mexico City around mid Sept every year.

I hope I didnt bore you with the info on my very 1st post; but Im a homebrewer here in Tijuana and want to promote and grow the scene here in Baja and Mexico.

Salud!

j47paco, luwak, ErikTheRedd and 6 others like this.
  14. closisinthehouse

closisinthehouse Jun 10, 2011 Florida
    Beer Trader

Will Cucapa make it to Orlando any time soon?

15. DAShaw

DAShaw Jan 15, 2014 Ohio

I had a chance recently to finally try some of the Day of The Dead brews. I didn't expect much going in because I have generally been disappointed by Mexican beers. But these were really good. I especially enjoyed the porter, "Pay the Ferryman". The finish left the slightest hint of chocolate without being overstated. Really nice.

16. costcrew04

Cucapa will be coming to TX this year. I can't give you a date yet but it will hit. Enjoy it, you will be blown away.

17. costcrew04

I as well have had their beers. They did well with them. They are actually owned by the third largest brewery in Mexico, Cervesera Mexicana. So in actuality it would be like Coors coming out with a craft beer brand. Not into it.

Texan956 likes this.
  18. costcrew04

Florida is not on our radar only because I only deal with distribution from the Mississippi River and West. I have no idea beyond that. Sorry, I don't have anything other than that.

19. Texan956

Texan956 Oct 24, 2013 Texas

Wohoooo.

20. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

This just makes me want to visit Mexico City...

21. jrnyc

Beer Trader

I am headed to Cabo next Saturday, has anyone been to Ramuri?

22. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I'm headed to Playa del Carmen in a couple weeks, looks on here like there's a couple beer bars, can anyone confirm they're still open, if they've got good beers on hand? Any other suggestions for my visit?

23. nsmartell

nsmartell Aug 17, 2007 Wisconsin

Did you try Restaurante Bar Rámuri? How was it?

24. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Yes, I really enjoyed it! Their IPA was really good. Met the brewer, good guy , he gave me a tour of the small brewing room and we also traded bottles.

Food was good too, loved the shrimp pizza. Next year when we go back going to start out every night at Ramuri.

25. walterfredo

walterfredo Nov 22, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

anything to report. Heading to the playa del carmen area in a few months, and I always get sick of mexican beers in a bout 2 days.

26. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Yeah, take beer with you! for real though my wife and i didn't leave the resort in the 3 days we were there. Had we been there longer we probably would've, but we were there a short enough time that "walk out of your room. be in pool." was enough.

In retrospect I wish I put a couple bombers in my luggage even though it was an all-inclusive; they said they carried some craft beer, but not one bartender knew wtf I was talking about so it was Mexiswill and watered down cocktails the whole time.

27. AbelU

AbelU Jan 25, 2014 Mexico

There seems to be a Beerbox in Playa del Carmen... but a friend mentioned it was pretty bare.

There's this place called "Club de la Cerveza" thats seems to have craft (address is 5ta Avenida Norte Manzna 4 Lote 5 Local 7)

Hope the info is good and current!

Salud

28. zeledonia

Beer Trader

I visited the Beerbox in Playa del Carmen last December. It was very bare. Like, imagine a beer store with the sparse layout of an art gallery. It was so strange that my traveling companions were taking pictures. I did manage to pick up a few Mexican craft bottles, which was great. But unless things have changed dramatically, don't expect much.

29. OliveDrab

OliveDrab Dec 30, 2007 New York

Any updates for D.F.? Does cerveceria calavera do tours and do they have a tasting room?

30. distantmantra

distantmantra May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

Headed to Cabo in a couple weeks, looks like Baja Brewing and Ramuri will make for a fun evening brewery crawl. Anything else to look out for?

31. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Go to Baja Brewing for the view, beer is mediocre. Ramuri is the place for beer.

Where are you staying? For food and fun, love Maros Shrimp House, make sure you get a bulldog. I know Cabo very well, any questions feel free to ask.

32. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Sandos Finisterra Los Cabos. I've had a bunch of Baja bottles before, but wouldn't mind visiting.

33. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Baja Brewing is on top of Cabo Villas. View is amazing, one time there would be perfect.

34. luwak

luwak Mar 2, 2010 Arizona
    Beer Trader

How hard is it to get around Cabo without renting a car?
    Could i get to the places you mentioned above by taxi?

35. jrnyc

Beer Trader

What hotel are you staying at? Very easy to get around Cabo without a car, we never rent a car. Most places are walking distance or a quick cab ride.

luwak likes this.
  36. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Will add a caveat to this, as long as you are in Downtown Cabo or close as there are hotels on the corridor that are further away.

37. luwak

luwak Mar 2, 2010 Arizona
    Beer Trader

Thanks so much for the replies. We're going seat of our pants . Literally decided yesterday. Not even sure where staying. I just let the lady book it.

So Ramuri would have something decent? And Baja has a view but non memorable beer?
    Is there an place to carry out something that won't be awful?

Any recommendations for serious seafood (not tacos) would be appreciated as well if you've got time.

38. distantmantra

Beer Trader

I'm staying at Finisterra this coming weekend, looks like a mile walk from from Ramuri and Baja.

39. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Baja beer is crap compared to US craft. Compared to Mexican BMC it is just a step above.

Ramuri had an excellent IPA and a host of other styles. Very friendly and knowledgeable brewer also. Not sure if they do growlers or not, but bring one and I cant see why they wouldn't.

My favorite restaurant is Maros Shrimp House, hole in the wall but they have shrimp, lobster, great staff and an incredibly fun time. Make sure you get a Bulldog to drink. Also, Ediths is on fancy side and expensive, but really good food. So many great places to eat in Cabo and not expensive. Another fave of mine is Los Tres Gallos.

Let me know exactly which hotel you are staying in.

40. jrnyc

Beer Trader

Let us know how Ramuri is. I was there last April, interested to see what they have on tap now and how their beer has progressed. Also, let us know if they fill growlers there.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe