Michigan Brewing Company Fires Dishwasher After Social Media Post With Racial Slur Goes Viral

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ohiobeer29, Nov 29, 2018.

1. ohiobeer29

ohiobeer29 Defender (625) Feb 2, 2013 Ohio

2. Benish

Benish Savant (974) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

"should not have resulted in me losing my job since the post was non-work-related"

....stupidest comment I heard. Anything a person say will have a consequence.

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,458) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Should leave his white hood on next time.

4. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (2,226) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

He's upset because he was fired over the phone........ WTF

5. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (357) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

wow, fired from your dishwashing job for being racist on the internet. Thats a special kind of 21st century low.

6. Ceddd99

Ceddd99 Initiate (91) May 14, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

The irony here is that they are being intolerant themselves in firing him.

Zorro and JimboBrews54 like this.
  7. moshea

moshea Devotee (462) Jul 16, 2007 Michigan

Whoa, intolerant of intolerant people. That is some deep thinking displayed here bro.

I am not a business owner but if one of my employees did something stupid that A: I found offensive and B: would cost me potential customers, it is a no brainier

8. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (545) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Yeah... The doublethink required here is amazing.

EDIT:
    It's a dishwashing job...it should not effect the rest of their life/career and if it does this person has much bigger problems. Hopefully they can learn from this and be better going forward.

BayAreaJoe, Junior, bgold86 and 2 others like this.
  9. moshea

Good use of newspeak!!!! Maybe we are getting Orwellian

Zorro and Ranbot like this.
  10. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (545) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Yeah. It's doubleungood.

Number1Framer and moshea like this.
  11. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,385) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Michigan is an "at will employment" state. Look it up.

drtth, BrewsOverHoes and JimboBrews54 like this.
  12. tzieser

tzieser Savant (994) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

What? You think it'd be a good business move to retain a racist dishwasher that dropped the N bomb on social media? Are there no other dishwashers in Michigan or something?

13. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,387) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Glad they fired him but I hope the OP was not indicating the Brewery is of the same mindset? Not sure why this was even mentioned, the position was low level and most likely a temp job or such... Move on folks.

tzieser likes this.
  14. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (498) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Impressive mental backflip being performed. Is this also an attempt at defending the racist human bowel movement?

15. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,248) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Good for Dark Horse. I’m bouts to find some Plead the 5th, or something.

16. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

It is not intolerant to fire him. He was a moron and there is no place for that. He should have been smart enough to realize you say dumb things you pay the price. Good for them, they did the right thing and did it fast which shows they have no tolerance for that in their business. Kids/Adults need to understand their online info is more public and will haunt them one day...

17. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (864) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

^^^ This

Last time I checked dishwashing jobs are not that terribly difficult to secure.

tzieser and Ranbot like this.
  18. moshea

What in OP's post would make you think that? He opens with

"Dark Horse Brewery in Marshall, Michigan, is receiving praise"

19. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Well he mentioned it as if a dishwasher is a really important position. Maybe he was trying to jump on the Trillium wave of calling out breweries. I could see if the guy was a main person with the business, not sure why this post needed to happen unless someone wanted to point fingers at the brewery as to maybe that is their culture? I cannot answer that is the OP's mindset not mine.

Zorro and tzieser like this.
  20. montman

montman Disciple (366) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

So you are implying they need to show more tolerance of racist remarks? Cool.

21. moshea

It made multiple news outlet in the Michigan area and he posted in the Beer news section on a website that talks about brewers, breweries and beer

.There is nothing that mentions "the importance" of the dishwashers job and the verbiage he clipped from the article is complimentary of Dark Horse

Don't read too much into it

meefmoff and Junior like this.
  22. adrock314

adrock314 Defender (694) Apr 14, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Not sure defending racism is the hill you wanna die on here buddy

23. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

:beers:

tzieser likes this.
  24. moshea

Cheers!

tzieser likes this.
  25. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,029) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

What my employees do on their own time is none of my business. If what they do affects my business that get's my attention.

TrojanRB, ZebulonXZogg and craigo19 like this.
  26. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (795) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

“Michigan Brewing Company Fires Dishwasher After Social Media Post With Racial Slur Goes Viral”

Does he have any experience naming office printers?

...cause Grand Rapids is just like a hour and a half away!

Sorry, I couldn’t help myself. :grin:

27. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,458) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Good one, a little known, yet classic, paradox.

A company (or nation) can be tolerant, and yet recognize its right of self preservation as superceding it. A company can be tolerant, and yet decide to fire an intolerant employee, due to the company's right to continued existence is a more important right than the right that the tolerant company (country) bestows upon others to be treated with tolerance.

28. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (541) Mar 28, 2009 California

I stole a car and got arrested once. My job fired me and I said it’s not work related bro!

29. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (113) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

Hell yeah Dark Horse, this is exactly how this shit should be handled. Way to lead by example!

30. nesarebad

nesarebad Devotee (423) Feb 4, 2012 Pennsylvania

Yeah...no.

Tdizzle likes this.
  31. Rajaholick

Rajaholick Initiate (136) Jan 9, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

So go ahead and hire racist hate mongers as long as it doesn't affect your bottom line... Great.

I would never work for a person with those ideals.

There's not such that as only being racist on the internet. You either are or aren't, this guy is amicus the former.

thesherrybomber likes this.
  32. stevepat

Trader

I wasn't suggesting he isn't racist i was just mocking him for getting fired from his dishwasher gig because of a snapchat or whatever the hell kind of post that was. I have a hard time envisioning a shittier life than one where you can't even hold down your dishwashing gig because you are incapable of keeping your racism off the public airways.
    god when i spell it out like that it almost makes me feel bad that he has to spend the rest of his life with himself.

GuyFawkes, FBarber and Junior like this.
  33. waltari

waltari Initiate (56) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

SJWs just love to tap themselves on the back for a job well done. Everything you say nowadays labels you as racist. Guess what? everyone is in one form or another.

Zorro likes this.
  34. stevepat

Trader

hmm interesting take. The only problem with it is that he used literally the most famous and frowned upon racial slur in the country while also implying that he was hunting people of a particular race (a particular race which has a history of being literally hunted in this country). I get that some people are hyper vigillant of anything even approaching offensive language but this is a pretty cut and dried case.
    He could have said 'hunting white tails in jacknasty' or 'out to kill some shit in the woods' or literally billions of other things and no one would have labeled him a racist

35. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (77) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Well done Dark Horse. I too would have fired that racist piece of shit immediately. And I would have given him a big ol' piece of my mind as well.

People like him need to grow the fuck up, or even better yet just remove themselves from our gene pool. Racism should not exist at all... WE ARE ALL HUMANS, THAT'S IT, PERIOD! JUST FUCKING HUMANS!

GuyFawkes and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  36. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I'm all for your sentiment, but don't count on that happening. Just bein' real. Believing that racism or xenophobia will some day go away is like people thinking that once the current generation of "old boys club" politicians dies, that greed will no longer govern our country (and every other one), ignorance and fear will no longer be used as a tool for manipulating the populace, and all decisions made by the government will be fair and even handed. I don't use the word "never" very often, but it's never going to happen. All you can do is do your best to be an example of what is right. That's, very unfortunately, it.

37. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (77) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Unfortunately my good sir you are very right, and I'm very aware of it, truly and sadly it will never happen. I don't live in a fantasy world (well unless I've indulged in a little to much brew & herb that day).

But racism has really been pissing me off even more so then normal lately. It's just so fucking ignorant, and unnecessary, I'm sick of seeing and hearing about it. Hell I even get falsely accused of being a racist just because of my political leanings. I guess just seeing actual racists truly gets's my blood boiling. These waste's of human life are a big reason why identity politics run rampant, and why we are currently so divided as a people.

38. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

If they'd simply realize that there are just a lot of assholes in the world, blaming the behavior of the person on the asshole's race or ethnicity or religious affiliation wouldn't have to be a thing. I'm kind of kidding, but not really.

Alefflicted likes this.
  39. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,029) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

My point, which you clearly missed, is I don't have to right to monitor the private life of someone else just because they work for me.

40. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Unless they've signed some type of morality clause that encompasses their personal behavior being a direct reflection of the business, I'd agree.