News Mid-Year Acreage Report Reveals Significant News About 2018 Hop Crop

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by ESHBG, Jul 1, 2018.

1. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (215) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Some interesting tidbits:

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/m...reveals-significant-news-about-2018-hop-crop/

2. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (267) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

Does anyone else feel like the massive ramp-up of Citra production has diminished the overall quality of that hop?

3. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (323) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

Nope

cavedave, LuskusDelph and RobNewton like this.
  4. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,075) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

With anything produced on a larger scale there will be differences in harvests. Probably the same deal with Citra is also happening to Mosiac. I have read about brewers having to hand select crops because otherwise they will get sub par hops.

5. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,371) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Yearly variations have been noted by brewers I know. When hops are harvested vs. peak maturity ha# been noted. Too many acres of one hop on a farm and the picking equipment and kilns are a bottleneck, so some bones are up too long which means they will be subpar. Is that what you were thinking?

jakecattleco, drtth and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  6. hopfenunmaltz

Brewers have been selecting hops for a long, long time. They know what they want when they go into a room with the samples on the table. They pick the lot number they want.

drtth and zid like this.
  7. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

There has been a lot of talk about how Citra and Mosaic have gone down in quality significantly since the ramp up in acreage. It’s not just one farm producing these hops anymore, it’s a few different farms in at least two of not three states. They have been licensed to other growers.

8. hopfenunmaltz

I just looked, those are both grown in WA, ID, OR.

Some talk about how some hops change with location, that is real. Processing techniques at a farm, time of harvest, and even which field on the same farm have an influence.

drtth likes this.
  9. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (536) Mar 28, 2009 California

That’s an interesting and good point. From my understanding is various hops varieties “ripen” at different times so farms try to balance out varieties based on when they are ready. Too much of the same hop could cause some issues.