Midwest vs West vs East Coast Breweries?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by HOP_KING, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (383) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

So... I'm supposed to limit my Beer preferences to 1 region of 1 country?

Seems limiting.

I prefer beers of Planet Earth, but only because I'm not aware of any other planet brewing, when they do, I'll just widen my scope.

2. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,579) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Premium Member Beer Trader

East Coast

3. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,176) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Depends on what you want. What if IPA's aren't your thing and you're interested in authentic European lagers? Pennsylvania and Wisconsin can pretty much beat the pants off the rest of the country.
    It's not all black and white.

TongoRad likes this.
  4. mfergus3

mfergus3 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2008 California

This is a troll thread and Wisconsonians never cease to amaze me with their hilarious nativism. If the only West Coast beer you've had has been mailed to you then your opinion is irrelevant.

It's not a competition - but if it was, West Coast wins.

5. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Defender (637) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Can't choose. I like 'em all. Each region has some great breweries that produce some great beers.

beertunes likes this.
  6. Skid1Gar

Skid1Gar Initiate (0) Sep 3, 2013 Wisconsin

Hey have you guys forgot about the ton of great beers from Wisconsin...........Midwest

7. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,431) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Anyone who has only had West Coast beer that was mailed to them isn't trying very hard. The West Coast supplies the rest of the country with more beer than any other region—and it's often priced more reasonably than the local options.

8. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Initiate (176) Apr 25, 2013 Illinois

Well I'm not an authority, and this certainly came from my ass as all gold does, but I remember hearing (and that's cuz I wasn't born yet) that when Schlitz started brewing their beer in the late 60's and into the 70's, that's when beer had a major resurgence and Milwaukee got so damn famous for making really good beer. Once again this is total heresay and I am from Wisconsin so I just voted for my home state and made that awesome comment that has not factual support.

draheim likes this.
  9. draheim

Beer Trader

Bonus points for being completely honest about pulling that statement out of your ass.
    I also wasn't there, but I think the Sumerians actually started it all. Then again, the Sumerians are a shameless bunch of homers.

10. HOP_KING

HOP_KING Initiate (170) Jan 30, 2013 Illinois

I take it you don't have a favorite sports team either. Why like a single baseball team when there is a World of good teams. Sheesh.

11. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,139) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/about-us/history-of-craft-brewing
    The brewers association points to anchor and new albion as the major players in starting the craft revolution, both of which are from cali.

12. draheim

Beer Trader

That is a pretty terrible analogy.

13. evolale

evolale Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2013 Illinois

Amen brother!

HOP_KING likes this.
  14. evolale

evolale Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2013 Illinois

Of coarse I'm bias because I'm from Chicago, but I would say the midwest has the best breweries/beer followed by the west coast.

HOP_KING likes this.
  15. draheim

Beer Trader

I love all the responses like "I'm a biased homer and I'm not even going to try to think about answering the question objectively, my vote goes to X region because it's where I happen to reside." Worthless thread gets worthlesser.

16. cmannes

cmannes Disciple (383) Mar 15, 2009 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

My beers don't really compete. I mean there was the Bud Bowl things, but I don't think those really count, and I wasn't really a fan of the participants.

I have favorite beers, but they're not necessarily bounded by region, so I provided a flippant answer to the original question. It does make me wonder... Which region has the best baseball teams? West, Midwest or East?

Chris_Panos likes this.
  17. Purp1eOne

Purp1eOne Devotee (486) Oct 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Midwest and you can keep the rest

I will survive on 3 Floyds, New Glarus, Pipeworks, Revolutions, Half Acre, Founders and Bellls

HOP_KING likes this.
  18. StarRaptor

StarRaptor Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2010 California

I've only heard of the West Coast being referred to as the Best Coast, never the MidBest Or whatever stupid made up word like Beast Coast would be applicable

19. texasalec

texasalec Initiate (61) Jul 18, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

20. rozzom

rozzom Defender (679) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

Everyone knows that the Beast Coast dominates the beer scene

21. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (479) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Oh good another versus thread :rolling_eyes:

jrnyc likes this.
  22. DHS1029

DHS1029 Aspirant (252) Feb 14, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Once Lagunitas' Chicago brewing facility opens I think it will be fair to consider them a Midwest brewery as Tony Magee is from the Chicago burbs (Arlington Heights) and the new Chicago operation will be 5 times as large as the Petaluma facility and supply most of the country with their beer. With the addition of Lagunitas, my vote goes to the Midwest.

23. Zimbo

Zimbo Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2010 United Kingdom (Scotland)

What is this, a fight to the finish? Remember:
    Beer.
    It's not a competition.

cmannes likes this.
  24. DHS1029

Beer Trader

That Goose Island that you are drinking is still probably brewed less than 100 miles from your home in Upstate NY at their White Plains facility. The only GI beer still brewed in Chicago is the limited run, barrel aged, and seasonal selections. The regular stuff like Goose IPA, Honkers, Pale Ale, 312, etc are all brewed in NY, thus debunking your statement. So then, ALL the beer you buy is East Coast and from the state of NY.

25. draheim

Beer Trader

Wait. Lagunitas is now a Midwest brewery and Goose Island is East Coast? So I suppose Sierra Nevada is now East Coast because they have a brewery in North Carolina? I give up.

jrnyc likes this.
  26. SeanBond

SeanBond Savant (904) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

While I haven't had some of the West Coast "classics" (the Plinys, for example), I'd vote it pretty even between WC and MW. Between Firestone Walker, Lagunitas (soon to be in Chicago, too) and Stone in the West, and FFF, Half Acre, and Goose Island and New Glarus (not to mention Pipeworks) it's pretty hard for me to pick a winner. So I just drink, instead.

27. jivex5k

jivex5k Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2011 Florida

There are great breweries spread across this entire country.
    From Russian River to Cigar City. Let's not forget Hill Farmstead and New Glarus. (Sorry Alchemist...)
    The lovely Great Divide is amazing...oh, and Founders and Hoppin' Frog as well.
    I can't pick a favorite side...these are all great breweries.
    I choose America.
    But wait...I forgot about Evil Twin, Mikkeller, Canitillon, 3F, that one that's hard to spell....Brouejrwi or something...
    Man...I choose the world.

28. DHS1029

Beer Trader

I get how all this can sound contradictory and confusing, however I am basing this off of the level of production from each brewery. I don't believe that Sierra Nevada's NC facility will be surpassing the Chico facility production wise, but as for the other two, that is exactly the case. As for Lagunitas, Magee has always said he considers it a Midwest brewery.

29. fx20736

fx20736 Meyvn (1,026) Mar 7, 2009 New York

probably. I know alot of the GI I drink is brewed in Baldwinsville, NY which is 85 miles from my house. I still drink Sofie, Matilde, BCBS, etc. I drink some Founders and drink some Brooklyn, Ommegang and sixpoint which are beyond 100 miles but still NY and I still drink some British and Belgian beers.

30. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,255) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

It might have changed (which seems to be Magee's MO :wink:) but in his original tweets, he put the future capacity of the Chicago brewery at 1.7m bbl. and the original CA facility at 700k bbl., so closer to 2.5 times as large. It will be unusual for a brewers' headquarter brewery to not be the largest, but I'm sure it's happened before.

C'mon, if the owner's origins plays a part in the brewing company's "home" - I guess then that since Eberhard Anheuser, Adolphus Busch and Adolph Coors were foreign-born immigrants, that would make Coors and AB "German" breweries?

"White Plains"? At Heineken USA's corporate headquarters? :grimacing: (I think they may brew there - coffee machine in the breakroom.) AB's brewery is in Baldwinsville, NY - outside Syracuse.

Well some of their standard line-up is also brewed at AB's Colorado brewery, and I just saw GI Nut Brown Ale labeled as being brewed in Chicago. (Is that a seasonal for GI? I don't know.) I thought they still brewed some portion of their "Classic" beers (as they call them on the website) in Chicago for the local market.

beertunes likes this.
  31. AnalogErik

AnalogErik Disciple (377) Jul 23, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

One of the reasons I actually enjoy being in "Fly-over country" is that I get to keep all the good beer to myself!

32. draheim

Beer Trader

I'm not saying you're wrong, although it's hard to think of Lagunitas as anything other than a West Coast—and specifically, California—brewery. None of the Bud-Miller-Coors breweries are even American, while European "imports" like Guinness and Beck's are brewed in Canada and St. Louis, respectively. Likewise, is a Toyota Camry, built in Kentucky, a more American car than a Chevy Impala, built in Ontario, Canada?

At some point (which we're either approaching or have already long since passed), none of this makes any sense or matters anymore.

So my vote holds for West Coast :sunglasses:

DHS1029 likes this.
  33. derftron

derftron Disciple (343) Feb 8, 2012 Oregon

Yeah. I was going to say the same thing. Somehow, the west coast is represented only by Stone, Green Flash, Laguanitas, and Ballast Point. I suppose that is true if that is the only stuff distributed to your neck of the woods and if it is, its most likely just their standard IPA. In reality, I have drank maybe ONE Stone beer in the last 3 years. Check out the Sour Beer that Cascade Barrell house makes right in Portland (world class stuff). I wont even get in to the other 800 breweries that are available as well.

Not saying I know everything about Midwest brewing (other than Three Floyds being WAY overhyped), but boiling the West down to 5 breweries is like dismissing an Opera before the curtain even comes up

34. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

Huh?

35. draheim

Beer Trader

You read that correctly.

36. DHS1029

Beer Trader

I meant Baldwinsville, not White Plains ::facepalm::

As for the thing about Magee saying Lagunitas is a Midwest brewery, that was a direct quote from him to the Chicago Tribune from sometime in the spring.

37. draheim

Beer Trader

To be fair, what else is he going to tell the Chicago Tribune?

38. AnalogErik

Beer Trader

FFF makes some very good stuff... I've never gotten the "overhyped" bit i hear off and on here.

39. draheim

Beer Trader

FFF makes some very good stuff, which is comparable with the output of a lot of other breweries you hear a lot less about—with the distinct disadvantage of being harder to get and more expensive.
    Also, have you tasted Dark Lord?

40. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (388) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I like East Coast beer because I'm on the East Coast and here it is.

I like West Coast beer because it's nice to have a good brew while watching the sun set over the ocean.

I like Midwestern beer because such a huge mass of beer-loving German immigrants settled in the Midwest and because Midwesterners don't seem to be quite so jerky as East and West Coast folk.

Also, I tend to like brew, so I win again and so do you.

Private_Beer_Tongue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.