Miir Growlers. Anyone use one?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Kanger, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Kanger

Kanger Zealot (559) Sep 3, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

Came across this on Uncrate today:

http://uncrate.com/stuff/miir-growler/

[​IMG]

Seems a lot better than the standard glass.

Your thoughts?

2. azorie

azorie Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2006 Florida

I wonder if they are legal here. Some places only refill to glass and only to their own jugs...

60 bucks is that just for a Quart? ouchies...

3. PABSTMASTER

PABSTMASTER Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2009 Pennsylvania

$60? Jesus.

4. Ranbot

Ranbot Devotee (419) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

It would block light better than typical glass growler at least. It needs a carrying handle or sling. But if I buy a growler it's rare that I'm 24 hours between a fridge that I would need all that insulation.

queens1130 likes this.
  5. anteater

anteater Crusader (764) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

a friend of mine brought a similar container (double walled with a vacuum in between) full of RPM over. He told me it had been sitting in his car for like 20 hours at which point I was very skeptical that I wanted to have any. Sure enough he poured some and it tasted as cold and fresh as ever. MIND BLOWN.

Seems like this type of product would be really good for drinking in the desert.

6. lowbit

lowbit Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 Wisconsin

The Lifeline 7500 is pretty similar, for about half the price.

Kanger likes this.
  7. lowbit

It also appears that the MiiR growlers won't begin shipping until Feb 2014, so it seems unlikely that anyone here has used one.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  8. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (176) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Agreed lowbit, I saw that. I love their water bottles but not sure I'll get one of their growlers.

9. bryanpape

bryanpape Initiate (0) Oct 28, 2013

We designed the lid to clamp not thread like the Lifeline which leaks when you place carbonation in it. $60 also includes free shipping/

10. bryanpape

our handle will be released shortly as a stretch goal for the campaign! It's also great for camping or tailgating where a fridge is hard to find.

11. lowbit

I don't doubt clamping is more secure, but from the reviews a lot of people are happily using the Lifeline for beer.

12. bryanpape

That's fine. We just found over and over testing threaded growlers, they had to have a 100% dry lid for it not fizz and loose carbonation and even then it still failed on some threaded lids. Our goal is better beer from brewery to home and then back out to events and such!

13. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (176) Jan 22, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Thanks Bryan, I'll take that as an express warranty?

14. bryanpape

Yes, I can guarantee our growler seals better than threaded growlers!

Kevin_Young and tx_beer_man like this.
  15. sjc83

sjc83 Initiate (152) Apr 4, 2013 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Ill stick to my Hydro Flask for now.

sirtomtom likes this.
  16. IroquoisPlisken

IroquoisPlisken Initiate (0) May 21, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

17. steebo777

steebo777 Zealot (506) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

18. jamescain

jamescain Savant (992) Jul 14, 2009 Texas
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I picked up a Kuhnhenn growler using a stainless steal growler last time I was in Detroit. I put it in my hotel fridge and left it over night. Got up in the morning to fly home and was drinking it about 8 hours later and it was still cold.

19. TLieu

TLieu Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2012 California

I've been using mine since I've received it. Here are some on-topic remarks:

1) I also have the Lifeline growler. It leaks carbonation, and the cap is sometimes unstable. Using the hinge for a handle is definitely a bad idea, especially if the cap comes loose (which it has). For the price, it is great, but not when I want to reliably contain my precious craft brews.

2) Some breweries (such as Stone) will not fill growlers with threaded lids. I now understand why. Stone's own growler uses a similar plugging mechanism. The only issue is that their growler is made of glass.

3) Both breweries that I've filled the growler at (Stone, Iron Fist) have been impressed with it.

4) There have been people asking where I got the growler, because they have to go through great lengths to insulate their glass growlers. Sometimes you just can't get back to a refrigerator that fast.

I'm not saying that this is the growler to end all growlers, but it has certainly become my go to growler when going for a fill.

ufmj and Kanger like this.
  20. BrianNY

BrianNY Initiate (0) May 25, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

hey guys. Has anyone else tried out this growler? Was looking to buy one and wanted to see what everyone thought. Thanks!

21. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Aspirant (242) Aug 19, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

ive got one and i love it!!

22. Ptux

Ptux Initiate (0) May 17, 2015

Ditto on the got one and love it. Burnt myself a few times with coffee, just to check if there would be any residual flavor and there was none. It amazed me, and continues to amaze me every time I pop it open. Also, for any doubters out there I work in a kitchen next to a stove/oven combo unit that gets extremely hot, and though the outside sometimes feels the heat, whatever I've got on the inside stays nice and safely situated for my drinking pleasure. Recorded 3 days in my 95 degree car and still cold. And you can get a handle, but it's a bit clumsy and ultimately just gets left behind.

23. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,544) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

I've used my Miir twice since receiving it in November. I look forward to using it on a much more frequent basis once the chaos that defines my life right now dies down. I've been impressed with its insulation, and I have warmed up to the wide-mouth opening as it eliminates a lot of the splashing from the jug and palla-style growlers that I've experienced. One drawback/question for the group--how do you get the rubber (?) cap completely clean? It's absorbed enough beer aroma to be noticeable even after limited use, and a good cleaning with hot water hasn't done the trick.

24. elNopalero

elNopalero Poo-Bah (2,544) Oct 14, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Second question--has anyone flown with one of these in their checked-in luggage? Assuming it's fine, with the usual precautions.

25. TBedeezy

TBedeezy Initiate (61) Feb 7, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

I love my Miir growlers. The seals are super easy to swap and a call to Miir customer service had two seals sent my way. So I have beer seals when it's time to fill up a growler and non beer smelling seals for those times I need water.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe