1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Mikerphone Releases and Updates (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by GreatGazoo, Jan 2, 2019.

1. GreatGazoo

GreatGazoo Disciple (383) Feb 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Nice post by Mike with his plans for 2019:

Sounds like a lot of nice stuff coming out, including his post from earlier today on a new Vanillanoize batch.

2. Jplachy

Jplachy Disciple (326) Feb 12, 2012 Illinois

It's cool to hear that we might only be 8 weeks away from the expanded taproom. Does the place still get super packed out on weekends?

3. GreatGazoo

Trader

If there's a release, it is typically packed until the late afternoon/early evening.

If there isn't a release, there could certainly be times when they get packed, particularly on nice days. But I'd say that is rare, even on weekends.

With the expanded space, ideally they don't get to capacity, but it'll be interesting to see if it's always open and/or staffed. And the outdoor space in nice weather should help too.

Kind of funny the first comment wasn't "Congrats" or "Thanks" but what he's doing about parking, haha. Parking is really only an issue for big releases which is what, a couple times a year? Can it be a pain? Sure. Is it something he should put time and energy into? Not really, in my opinion.

4. Shriner

Shriner Initiate (45) Mar 29, 2017 Illinois

Agreed. Parking at Mikerphone is fine; I have never had an issue. If you are too lazy to walk down the street in the industrial park, then you probably shouldn't be downing 10% stouts :wink:

5. GreatGazoo

Trader

They released Innocent Criminal Blackberry yesterday and then today...

I really enjoyed this one, so I'll be stopping by later for a pour and a couple bottles.

Oh, and a mini Southern Grist tap takeover next Tuesday which I'll likely stop by as I've heard good things about SG.

PhilBallins likes this.
  6. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (133) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Southern Grist is great. Probably my favorite brewery in Nashville.

PhilBallins likes this.
  7. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (239) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

By the beard of Iris, what sort of blasphemy is this?!

[i probably agree]

PhilBallins likes this.
  8. HarbaughsGrit

HarbaughsGrit Initiate (36) Sep 9, 2017 Michigan

Southern Grist by a mile!

DrinksAlone and PhilBallins like this.
  9. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (202) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Bass Cannon > Florida berliners

fite me irl

Ferocious and flat_lander like this.
  10. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (469) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Your perfect replication of Floridian spelling skills adds further weight to your well articulated argument.

croush and PhilBallins like this.
  11. croush

croush Crusader (705) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

If only he posted FT: Bass Cannon FT; ISO: VR or Prop 14. Then I’d start to think he really was a Floridian.

12. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (379) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I still can’t see the expanded place getting crowded outside of release days because of the whole 48oz limit thing.

13. Jplachy

Yeah if I can't have 64oz of 10% stout what's the point?

14. Shriner

An often discussed topic and I agree with you. However, Mike seems to be a smart business guy. There are other bars in Elk Grove and they most certainly do NOT have this limit. My guess is he is probably either working on it with the Village or will eventually try to work on it.

I have a close family member who works at the Village. The Mayor (who is extremely pro-business) and the Village were very cautious with allowing this to come to fruition and they did extensive research. One can only assume they wanted to see how it would go before lifting this requirement, if they will even ever consider it. I have not heard of any incidents at Mikerphone and I wouldn't really expect any based on the hours of operation. The other breweries local to Mikerphone (Itasca, Roselle, Bloomingdale, etc.) do not have this limit and they do not run into issues because of the hours. If they were open until 1am, etc., then we might have a different story on our hands.

The last thing Mike or any other brewery wants to be responsible for is security or regularly making sure people are not over-served. I personally know the owner of one of the nearest breweries and specifically asked this question for that reason. I was VERY curious. He said they simply do not have issues with fighting and/or trashed customers because most people aren't getting hammered at 8pm. It is the bars open until midnight, 1am, etc. that have the issues.

Summary: Of course it would be better for Mikerphone if they can get the limit lifted; but only he and the Village know whether that is a possibility.

eppie82 and Jaycase like this.
  15. Shriner

Now THAT is NOT recommended!

16. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (313) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Mikerphone posted on their IG story that they are using oysters in a collab. Get read to lock this thread LOL

csmakio and dukeandduke like this.
  17. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,180) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

The limit of 48oz doesn't bother me. I've been to Mikerphone probably two dozen times and I've never thought about the limit nor have I ever reached it either. 2-3 drinks is most I'll get there and even 3 would be too much if I would be ordering double digit ABV stouts.

stevegoz, jaysker95, pigface and 2 others like this.
  18. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Savant (995) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I don’t think that many people go to a brewery on a back street like that wanting to have a lot more than 48 ounces. I doubt the limit is hurting their business at all. From my more recent times being there - I’m not even sure they’re enforcing it much.

HazeBro83 and stevegoz like this.
  19. prior2two

Trader

I’m not so much saying the limit is stopping people from going, but rather limiting the amount of time people can stay, so the turnover is high.

20. Jplachy

You can stay as long as you want.

dukeandduke likes this.
  21. BLA1R

BLA1R Initiate (48) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois

I can't wait to talk shit about the gummy worm stout...

22. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (313) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

If you aren’t driving and/or you’re coming in for Sunday football, ordering in Lou’s, and having some pale ales/sours, etc I don’t see why 48 oz is a necessary limit. But yeah 48 oz of BA Surprise Left is a different story

Ferocious likes this.
  23. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (212) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

There are more neckbeards at Mikerphone than any other brewery I've ever visited. Maybe after the worms n' dirt stout they'll do a Mountain Dew Milkshake IPA or a Coolin' Ranch Dorito saison.

24. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (339) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I wouldnt be shocked to see one of those last two before the end of 2019

25. eppie82

Trader

Can't wait for the Rocky Mountain Oyster variant next.

26. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (180) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

What if I want more than 48oz of gummy worm beer and oyster beer in a single sitting? Where am I supposed to go?

flat_lander likes this.
  27. Jplachy

To Hell.

28. FleskBrewFan

FleskBrewFan Initiate (90) Aug 4, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

New England ISLBS...coffee, maple, oysters, and hot sauce.

Zoomslowik, flat_lander and eppie82 like this.
  29. flat_lander

Society Trader

Has anyone created an epi-pen that has both epinephrine and insulin in it? Because if so, this might be your target market right here.

ECCS likes this.
  30. BLA1R

BLA1R Initiate (48) Sep 1, 2015 Illinois

Random question.. did Mikerphone ever say anything about the oxidized SSS bottles?

31. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,120) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Actually a combo version has been brewed, undergoing barrel aging for max profitzzz.

$75 for four 12 ounce bottles, April 12 noon release, two four pack limit per person.

32. ChWRoCk

ChWRoCk Initiate (57) Dec 9, 2013 Illinois

eppie82 likes this.
  33. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (212) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

It even looks like a fat version of Mike lol

kreg02 likes this.
  34. eppie82

Trader

35. flat_lander

Society Trader

PSA - Just reminding everyone that the terrorists hate our freedom. In case anyone forgot about that while watching this.

dukeandduke likes this.
  36. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Aspirant (202) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Just tried the latest batch of Bass Cannon. Still fantastique

1v1 me florida bros

37. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,120) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

AKA - The Evil Dewar's!

PhilBallins and flat_lander like this.
  38. prior2two

Trader

That beer has been around for a while too. Like 7 or 8. Way before shit got super weird.

It’s pretty good too.

Zombie_Dust likes this.
  39. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (780) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Same with regular oyster stouts, which have been around forever. Oysters is nowhere near the weirdest or most unappealing thing Mikerphone has done.

I've loved many oyster stouts I've had.

40. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (239) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

As we all know, oysters are an aphrodisiac. If Mike doesn’t name this oyster stout “Love Potion #9” then there is no order nor justice to the universe.