1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Mikerphone Releases and Updates (2019)

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by GreatGazoo, Jan 2, 2019.

1. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (379) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I’m excited to buy them at all. I’ve been to the tap room a few times and enjoyed the beers well enough, but didn’t think they were anything other than “pretty good”. I’m totally against large format beers for anything other than NBA all pro level, but I’ll happily buy a 4-pack if it’s solid.

2. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Savant (981) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Send a note to Lebron - he needs to switch to 4-packs next year.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  3. prior2two

Trader

Nah, he’s gotta trade the 4-pack for large format.

4. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,260) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

The Blue Room is open for business tomorrow. Looks to be plenty of room for a cartwheelin' good time.

5. PhilBallins

PhilBallins Initiate (199) Nov 29, 2016 Illinois

Shit, so it looks like the profits on those 4-packs are going towards Jordan's

6. prior2two

Trader

That new space looks totally dope, but I’m assuming the 48oz rule is still the in place?

They did a wonderful job, but I hope the village at some point will relax the limit and realize the amount of people the brewery brings to the town.

-And before the “what, is 48oz of stout not enough for you?” crowd chimes in - I just think it’s a dumb rule. Treat people like adults. And treat mikerphone like it’s owned by an adult. Don’t limit the amount of product he can sell.

7. Nbrock24

Nbrock24 Disciple (309) Mar 11, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I wonder how many days out of 6 (eventually 7) the new space will be made available. I’m sure it will be the next 3 days. We’ll see after that

HazeBro83, ECOBOOSTINST and csmakio like this.
  8. prior2two

Trader

For sure. It’s not like the current (small) space gets super packed every day.

Sure, release days, and the odd Saturday it can get packed, but it’s not like it’s the fucking Maplewood lounge every Friday night.

HazeBro83 and Nbrock24 like this.
  9. Nbrock24

Trader

Food trucks don’t make sense with 45 people max. When the max goes up, will we see food trucks actually work at Mikerphone? I’m interested if the crowds can grow to that point

10. GreatGazoo

GreatGazoo Disciple (382) Feb 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I understand your point still stands, but the policy is now 60oz. I'm looking at it right now as it is printed on their menu.

The only time I've seen it as an issue is there's a big group and someone is buying a round and the bartender tells them someone else in the group will need to buy the next round. But I get your point that we're adults.

As for the new space, those blue hop cone pendant lights over the bar are pretty effing cool.

Edit: Capacity of the new space is 60 people. So a total of 105 between the 2 rooms.

#330 GreatGazoo, Mar 15, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    dukeandduke and Jaycase like this.
  11. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,155) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I don't know if I missed it, but do they have plans to eventually serve food or will still be order in/food truck options only?

dukeandduke likes this.
  12. HazeBro83

HazeBro83 Aspirant (264) Mar 14, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Gotta give Mike credit, the new tasting rooms looks really cool. Looking forward to grabbing a few 4 packs on my next visit.

dukeandduke and PhilBallins like this.
  13. galos11

galos11 Disciple (355) Jan 21, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Regarding Smells Like a Beer Fest:

croush, Chuckdiesel24 and HazeBro83 like this.
  14. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (209) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

So this is what Mike is up to now?

15. Bbear

Bbear Initiate (132) Oct 26, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

But is it barrel-aged?

PhilBallins likes this.
  16. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (338) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

start the lines now

dukeandduke likes this.
  17. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Zealot (567) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

It clearly says "BA" on the label right after "Stroop, Stroop" so I think refunds could be in order if it isn't:wink:

18. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (178) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

ISO some of dat BA Doop

19. Quilentro

Quilentro Aspirant (230) May 12, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Visiting Mikerphone for the first time in... six months? A year? I lived in the Netherlands for a short stretch and have an emotional connection to stroopwafel.

- there was a queue of a dozen people as I showed up right at open. Why?!?!?

- new space is really nice. Good job!

- I requested they officially designate a cartwheel space. Bartender will talk to GM.

- only 8 beers on tap. Why?

- music bleed through from brewery into taproom. This is something that really, really bothers me. Misophonia? Anyways, I asked about it, and I guess it is because Maplewood is here to collaborate and they’re all getting rowdy. Of course it is Maplewood. I hate their taproom because it is so damn noisy. So of course they import their noise. Of course.

- don’t go chasing waterfalls is playing and Rest In Peace left eye. You were taken too soon.

- drinking a stunna and it is fine. Competent but generic. Waiting for icky thump to warm up but that should be nice.

- parking around here continues to be dumb, which makes no sense.

Closing thoughts: glad their expansion is going well. I hope their beer returns to stunna-ing levels someday. Hope I get beer fest tickets but otherwise likely won’t be back any time soon unless they brew more kryptonite beer. Fingers crossed that they improve quality, increase distro, reduce prices, and switch to online tickets for future releases of big stouts.

20. HazeBro83

HazeBro83 Aspirant (264) Mar 14, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

How was the Stroop?

21. Quilentro

Trader

Haven’t tried it. Gotta drive/work, so always limit myself to a couple small pours of whatever isn’t To Go.

But I assume it is AMAZING.

HazeBro83 likes this.
  22. CityofWind_brew

CityofWind_brew Disciple (382) Jan 15, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Only 8 beers? How many do you need? I feel that’s adequate compared to many other spots

23. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,260) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

Their Instagram post 2 hours ago mentions 12 beers on tap (?).

24. Quilentro

Trader

I need soooooo many. Seriously though, name another tap room with so few options.

Ohhh, ok, so, the two different rooms have different on-tap options. Because.... because? Odd they don’t explain that on the menus, or offer some indication besides social medial what is available 5 ft / 1 cartwheel away.

GuyFawkes and Jaycase like this.
  25. thewimperoo

thewimperoo Zealot (528) Oct 1, 2006 Illinois

More

croush and PhilBallins like this.
  26. Quilentro

Trader

A) they are bad at their jobs and traffic in manufactured hype
    B) they don’t even have a pastry king anymore
    C) they at least have the decency to supplement their offerings with other breweries, whisky, and food. Apples to crab apples comparison.

Edit: oh geez, I have unexpected Friday spring rage. Watch out! I’m coming in hot!

THANAT0PSIS likes this.
  27. Chuckdiesel24

Chuckdiesel24 Savant (981) Jul 6, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I think these are fair points, plus MoRE has food.

It is a bit odd tht there are different options at the 2 sides of the Mikerphone building. I wish Quilentro had cartwheeled between the two but it sounds like he refrained. It would have been appropriate in honor of Left Eye.

ECCS and Quilentro like this.
  28. Quilentro

Trader

Update - unopened sun tan gerine can just exploded while it was sitting next to me untouched.

29. kreg02

kreg02 Disciple (338) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

sounds like they got that canning machine dialed in really well

30. ECCS

ECCS Initiate (178) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I don’t know why, but this seems right

31. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (462) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Your lack of internet rage seems disingenuous.

Clearly the canning line was a rouse to make beer IEDs in order to cause as much destruction as possible.

#351 flat_lander, Mar 22, 2019 at 9:42 PM
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2019 at 9:51 PM
    Quilentro likes this.
  32. Nbrock24

Trader

Great stop in at the Blue Rook today. They’re ordering a filter for the blinding sunlight. It’ll be fun this spring when the garage doors go up and the fresh air comes in.

Stroop was pretty good though I wanted a little less cinnamon. Enjoyed the hops I had as well. With the taproom limit raised to 110, it’ll be good to have food trucks as a regular, viable option

HazeBro83 and Jaycase like this.
  33. croush

croush Crusader (700) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I stopped in yesterday around lunchtime with my family since we were out that way. I liked the new room (although for some reason my wife & kids disliked it so much we had to move back to the O.G. room), but it really is one of the dumbest things that you have to go to the separate rooms to order certain beers. I get that they only have so many taps in each room, but they should have come up with a system to easily get the beers between the two rooms without making the customers go to the other bar.

I really like Stroop, it was crazy sweet and sugary, which was to be expected. I don't think I could have had any more than the 6 oz. pour I ordered, though. Vanillanoize was unimpressive for my taste, and I liked Sun Tan. Stunna was decent.

As always, props to them for having games and allowing kids in. My daughters were pretty excited to play chess with Super Mario characters.

kreg02 likes this.
  34. Nbrock24

Trader

Can you think of a brewery that has figured out a similar situation? I know Founders has different taps in different rooms/bars.

35. HawksBeerFan

HawksBeerFan Aspirant (209) Dec 24, 2011 Illinois

Jester King a while back had multiple tap stations as well.

I think it makes sense to have one bar be the "main" one with all of the "sweet" offerings and another to be more of a "classics" offering station. That model probably doesn't work for a brewery like Mikerphone though where they have a bunch of rotating selections.

Nbrock24 likes this.
  36. HouseofWortship

Trader

Are the Mikerphone bars physically connected? Is there a server? If so, they should be able to walk over and get you what you want from a different station if that's what you are paying them for.

37. miniditka77

miniditka77 Initiate (146) May 21, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Clearly Mikerphone is an ISIS front. It explains a lot. I always thought it was suspicious that so many people with big beards were hanging out there.

HouseofWortship likes this.
  38. HouseofWortship

Trader

Imperial Smells like Islamic State

39. croush

croush Crusader (700) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Founders is different IMO because whenever I go there, I have a server. I order what I want, and they bring it to me. At Mikerphone, I have to go to the bar to order it, and figure out which bar to go to.

If they had built some sort of connection (even just a window type ledge for them to pass beers between) between the two rooms at the end of each bar area, that might facilitate it. But, I have zero knowledge of running a bar/restaurant...I'm just a customer and prefer not having to physically go to two different places to order.

Nbrock24 and HouseofWortship like this.
  40. Nbrock24

Trader

Yeah I see what you’re saying. A connection or more taps would’ve been nice. I think it might feel like less of an issue when the Blue Room is open less often in a few months when the newness dies down. But yeah no easy fix that I can see. I did hear that when there is a limited release (like today), that to go bottles will only be available at the main bar to address double dipping