Mikerphone Releases and Updates

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by HartsyThaiFood, Sep 5, 2015.

1. HartsyThaiFood

HartsyThaiFood Disciple (316) Dec 11, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Can we talk Mikerphone?

These guys are new but brewing some really excellent stuff. One Man Wrecking Machine drove me to start this thread but Vinyl Frontier, Daft Funk, Sippin' on Some Sizzurp. All really excellent.

Have you tried their stuff yet? Any thoughts? I'm really enjoying what they're putting out and am excited for what they have in the works.

TomO23, krome, Jkoeneman and 3 others like this.
  2. NewBeerMoney

NewBeerMoney Initiate (0) Jan 18, 2015 Illinois

One man wrecking is great! Also liking their beers he had at Garfield park conservatory!! Their jockybox is sick as hell too!!

Craigmccann9 likes this.
  3. Dontcounttoday

Dontcounttoday Devotee (458) Apr 23, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I hate Mikerphone because they are so damn good. Everything they brought to the CCBW closing fest at Welles Park was amazing. Best of show IMO. The cans released so far are stupid good and no one talks about it so not hard to grab. I hate it because after an early tap takeover of Breakroom Brewery beers, my girlfriend bought me a membership as a gift because they were so amazing. Then Mike (previously of Breakroom) left to create Mikerphone.

So Mike, we bought our membership because of your amazing talent. Can we just please just switch our membership over to you?

4. Kurmaraja

Kurmaraja Poo-Bah (2,266) May 21, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Which of the many IPAs / IIPAs do people feel is top of the heap? I've only had Disco Superfly ... though I've had Citra & Mosaic Madness from Slapshot, also brewed by Mike, and enjoyed both (Mosaic probably more).

5. doogie71628

doogie71628 Initiate (171) May 9, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Also jumping on the praise train. I really enjoyed disco superfly and just recently one man wrecking crew. One of the better new breweries to stick out from the crowd.

Nachos4two likes this.
  6. Vav

Vav Aspirant (292) Jul 27, 2008 Illinois

Good people/good beer.

7. Roland7792

Roland7792 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Altho its not canned as Mikerphone, I have to say that Mosiac Madness was awesome! I need to grab a can of Spin Doctor next time I see it, heard it was pretty good citra hopped APA

8. mtskier

mtskier Initiate (81) Feb 23, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Ive had Disco and Spin doctor. Both were delicious!

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  9. jsrose16

jsrose16 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've had a handful of their beers. I liked Daft Funk and Disco Superfly. Love in an Ellavator, Spin Doctor, and One-Hit Wonderful were ok but nothing to rave about. One Man Wrecking Machine is one of my favorite beers of the year. They hit a grand slam with that one. I'll keep buying - like the big ass cans and their product has been pretty nice so far. Definitely an under-the-radar Chicago brewery.

Born_A_Jee likes this.
  10. Born_A_Jee

Born_A_Jee Initiate (191) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I bought a can of One Man Wrecking Machine when it was first released and thought it was awesome. I figured to buy a couple more cans a week or two later. I read of no one talking about it, hyping it up so it should still be on the shelf. Well, on Labor Day I passed by Capones and bought the last two cans. I almost missed out.

So I assume there is some underground hype train for (at least) that particular beer. Good for Mikerphone!

But I do have a question...would you guys age a can of OMWM?

11. jsrose16

Beer Trader

I saved one to cellar, although it may be tough trying to hold back on drinking it.

12. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (382) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Mike is making excellent beer for Slapshot as well. Been drinking plenty of both his brands.
    The sour mikerphone put out last month was on point too

13. kevanb

kevanb Poo-Bah (1,865) Apr 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I will definitely hop into this thread and give a shout out to Daft Funk, great stuff!

Nachos4two likes this.
  14. Kurmaraja

Beer Trader

What would you hope to accomplish by cellaring it? It's not hot, the flavors are pretty well integrated. What do you think would happen other than the adjuncts fading with time?

Dontcounttoday likes this.
  15. Born_A_Jee

Born_A_Jee Initiate (191) Aug 1, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Sorry. I said that wrong. What I should have said was would you stash it away for a couple months?

I want to have some to drink when the weather gets colder in a couple months. I don't know if it's a brew they will be releasing regularly or not.

Kurmaraja likes this.
  16. Kurmaraja

Beer Trader

I sort of suspected that's what you might mean. I'd guess a few months wouldn't hurt it at all. I wouldn't count on them making it often. I talked with the brewer at Capones recently and it sounds like they have other exciting stuff coming; barrel aged, noted dark beers, more sours. I actually bet if you emailed them with questions regarding plans to brew it again they would respond.

17. Roland7792

Beer Trader

Anyone tried I Want my IPA yet? Fuk'n awesome IMO. Hard to do wrong with Citra and Mosaic hops but it has a wonderful aroma and great showcase of Mosaic.

18. beardown2489

Beer Trader

Yeah, its money. Love the smooth hoppiness. Not bitter, just juicy

Roland7792 likes this.
  19. Jaywalsh20

Jaywalsh20 Zealot (508) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Was happy to see this thread, thanks OP. I just popped open One Man Wrecking Crew last week, it blew me away. So much going on in that beer. Hoping to pick up I Want my IPA soon.

Roland7792 likes this.
  20. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Devotee (496) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Anyone seen One Man Wrecking Crew near the southwest burbs recently? Looking for 2 cans and I missed them at the Open Bottle....

21. cwehr13

cwehr13 Aspirant (204) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I think Open bottle is the ONLY south burbs that has mikerphone

FFFjunkie likes this.
  22. cwehr13

Beer Trader

I had an oak age oud bruin (I think that is what it was) at 350 fest it was not bad.

I first had their beer at Beer Under Glass and I have been on of my favorites breweries ever since.

23. FFFjunkie

Beer Trader

That's what I was afraid of....I checked on beermenus and only a couple of spots popped up and none of them close.

24. cwehr13

Beer Trader

Mikerphones website gives you a list of all the stores they drop their beer off if that helps.
    http://www.mikerphonebrewing.com/setlist/

FFFjunkie likes this.
  25. FFFjunkie

Beer Trader

Thank you I didn't see that last time I was on their site. I did just pick up their blueberry Berliner and am looking forward to it.
    I'd also be interested to see what the VIP is all about...

26. cwehr13

Beer Trader

I havnt had time to go to open bottle to pick it up but yea I would join I saw that the other day.

27. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Devotee (446) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Made the trek to Ardmore today to pick up I Want My IPA. Can't wait to try it later!

Roland7792 likes this.
  28. Roland7792

Beer Trader

So pissed. I only bought one yesterday to try it. Went back to Beer Cellar today to get another one at least and he was sold out already.

29. BeerGreg

BeerGreg Devotee (446) May 17, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I Want My IPA is delicious! Glad I bought two.

Roland7792 likes this.
  30. Roland7792

Beer Trader

My thoughts exactly!! My only regret was not grabbing more myself. I unfortunately couldn't make it to Admore either cause I ended up in the hospital after Sunday's Cubs game.

31. krome

krome Meyvn (1,091) Aug 1, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I don't think I've had a bad one from them yet ... and some have been truly excellent

32. mtskier

mtskier Initiate (81) Feb 23, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Had One Man Wrecking Machine the other day. Holy moly. Fantastic.

33. Bearshawks85

Bearshawks85 Initiate (198) Jun 12, 2014 Illinois

What's the difference between Mikerphone and Slapshot? Both say they are brewed at Slapshot and come in the 24 oz cans.

34. beardown2489

Beer Trader

The owner of Slapshot hired Mike to take over brewing beer for Slapshot. Additionally, he allowed Mike free reign of the facility so he could launch Mikerphone brewing in his spare time.

stevegoz and Bearshawks85 like this.
  35. 5EKF

5EKF Savant (998) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I have to show love for Spin Doctor. Bought it on a whim and it impressed me.

36. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Aspirant (202) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

What happened to Wrecking Crew? It's not listed on the site anymore, but the top of the page says "BELOW IS A FULL LIST OF ALL OF OUR BEERS EVER BREWED:"...it's missing.

Had it once. Was hoping to have again, not it's mysteriously disappeared from planet earth.

37. beardown2489

Beer Trader

what are you talking about? I've got one in my fridge waiting for me... and I'm pretty sure its still at binnys in glen ellyn

38. TomO23

TomO23 Aspirant (254) Jan 3, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Don't forget Blue Haus too! Thought IWM IPA was one of the best IPAs in the area- really hope it's made often. Best new brewery Imo - love these guys

Roland7792 likes this.
  39. TrapJaw77

TrapJaw77 Aspirant (202) Apr 17, 2015 Illinois

I guess what I mean is that I can't find it anymore because I live in the lowly southern burbs where they only distro to one place and Binny's Loop doesn't have it. Also, they're no longer taking credit for having brewed it on their website.

Either way, it's a shame I can't find it. I'd say top 3 beers I've had all year and that list includes CBS.

40. jsrose16

Beer Trader

I bought another one last week at the Binny's in Glen Ellyn (in case you're near that area).