Great Britain Mild in May 2013

Discussion in 'Europe' started by marquis, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marquis

marquis Crusader (714) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

May is here again and with it there's lots more mild around at the moment.
    This month half our area's pubs will serve a cask mild , we are running a trail again and kicking off tonight at the Marquis of Granby at Granby , last year's winner of Best Mild in the Vale.
    Nottingham CAMRA and the local sub branches are also doing their own Trails.

Much as I love most beer styles it's a fact that when I enter a pub and find a mild available that's always my first pint.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  2. EmperorBevis

EmperorBevis Poo-Bah (3,092) Sep 25, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Very much agreed, I love starting a pump crawl with a good dark mild.

3. CwrwAmByth

CwrwAmByth Poo-Bah (1,708) Jan 24, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

Yep, love a bit of good, old fashioned, traditional, classic, age old, dark mild.

4. EmperorBevis

I don't like drinking beer so much when I am thirsty,
    Mild is the best beer to slate a thirst.

5. jazzyjeff13

jazzyjeff13 Poo-Bah (2,759) Nov 6, 2010 United Kingdom (England)

Do I detect sarcasm ;)

But seriously, there's nothing like a nice mild.....

6. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (630) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Great stuff :)

7. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Crusader (792) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

I don't think I've ever enjoyed mild brown ale. It's a shame really because my local cask ale pub is saturated with it.

8. patto1ro

patto1ro Defender (615) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Subscriber

I don't think I have either - can you give an example of a mild brown ale? I suspect you're confusing Mild and Bitter.

9. EmperorBevis

[​IMG]

10. CwrwAmByth

Or maybe it's because dark milds are actually not black, merely very very very very very very dark brown.

I'm telling you Dougal, they'll try and shaft you every time.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  11. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Crusader (792) Jan 29, 2012 United Kingdom (England)

No, and yes. Oh, I don't know. Basically, the majority of cask ale at my local CAMRA-endorsed pub is flat, brown and tastes of biscuits (it's a Weatherspoons). Can you give me an example of a mild?

12. patto1ro

Subscriber

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/18371/79455

13. EmperorBevis

Though easier to find, great in bottles and glorious on cask is
    http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/109/341

CwrwAmByth likes this.
  14. patto1ro

Subscriber

Fancy coming back with an example yourself? Sounds like your knowledge of British beer is pretty limited. Even my kids can spell Wetherspoons correctly. Then again, I have made them spend a lot of time inside them.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  15. EmperorBevis

Actually a lot of bottled varieties don't use the actual word Mild,
    Black Cat doesn't have the word anymore & Thwaites Nutty Black had a makeover and the word removed.

I like the idea of misspelling Wetherspoons, give them a bit of variety

16. marquis

First pint at the Stratford Haven- BurtonBridge Mild, don't really go for most of this brewery's offerings but it was rather nice. My drinking companion settled for Castle Rock Black Gold.On to the Trent bridge Inn where Wetherspoons (check spelling) had four different milds.One customer was finding his way through the milds and was being given samples of each with tasting notes. I settled for the Nutbrook "On the Mild side" , a pale mild and utterly gorgeous.My colleague had Magpie Mild. A break followed as we went to watch the cricket at Trent Bridge but slipped out in the tea interval for a pint apiece of Nottingham Brewery's Rock Mild, an old favourite.Back to the cricket so no time to visit the Test Match , shame as this is a unique drinking experience.

17. EmperorBevis

Has Mild become a dirty word for a lot of breweries now?

18. CwrwAmByth

Cheer up mate!

19. patto1ro

Subscriber

I'm already cheered up. A litre and a half of wine does that.

20. marquis

Sunny so got the MG out and off to Granby again-no, not the Marquis this time but the other pub in the village(of just 300 inhabitants) which is the delightful unspoilt Boot and Shoe. An excellent pint of Belvoir Dark Horse and a chat with the locals then set off homewards, calling in at the Plough in Cropwell Butler for a pint of Thwaites Nutty Black on the way.This is selling so well that it's more or less a regular and was in top nick.To be truthful, it's a long time since I received even an indifferent pint in a local pub.

21. marquis

Rutland Arms at Bottesford last night-good old-fashioned Tetley's Mild. I'd forgotten just what a good drop this is, but perhaps its change of brewer has made a difference.

22. marquis

Just two today, both pubs in the Belvoir Estate (see my avatar)..........beginning with Navigation Brewery Centaurus at the Manners Arms in the lovely village of Knipton. Rather nice , stopped for a long chat then drove a couple of miles to the Wheel Inn at Branston. stunning setting, brilliant tiny pub which has an immense "feel good" factor where the choice was Newby Wyke's Black Squall. Such a nice place that we spent rather a long time there before setting off homewards.

23. EmperorBevis

A pint of Burton Bridge Moorish Mild confirms a couple of things
    1) how refreshing and thirst quenching a good pint of mild is
    2) How the subtle tastes and depths of flavours are brought out by traditional draught making Cask King
    and
    3) What a bunch of stuck up ingrates the reviews on ratebeer are.

24. CwrwAmByth

At least it's not as bad as Be... wait where am I?

jazzyjeff13 and EmperorBevis like this.
  25. marquis

Back on the trail, this time in Bingham which is a town of around 9000 souls which has somehow found itself rated as the 8th best place to live in the UK.Whatever, it has 4 pubs serving cask mild.
    Began with Thwaites Nutty Black at the White Lion, excellent. On to the Horse and Plough for a pint of Bateman's DM which thankfully is back on song after a problem last year when it was all watery and thin. Then to the Chesterfield Arms for some Magpie Dark Secrets.Very agreeable and then it was time to visit the Wetherspoons pub, the Buttercross. Began with the Rutland Panther, lovely beer and an old friend , massive flavours for such a modest strength. Next the Milestone Brewery's Ruby Mild, good enough but not up to the Panther IMO. I was very tempted by the way by the 14 ounce Angus steak with chips for £5.99 but as I had my meal organised at home passed it by. I didn't have the Milestone Sherwood as it was 5.9% and I had to get back home intact so settled for another Panther.I believe they had a fourth mild somewhere but never mind.

surfadelic23 and EmperorBevis like this.
  26. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (630) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Sounds like a good day

I had a Highland Dark Munro last week, was an excellent mild and can recommend it if you see it down your way marquis

27. marquis

Thanks, Hanglow , will look out for it.
    A memorable day today. Waited for the minibus outside the Horse & Plough, we were seen and the doors opened early just for us. We began the day with Rudgate Ruby Mild.
    On to the Staunton Arms (at Staunton, where else?) for some Rutland Panther and some cheese, biscuits and chips which appeared from nowhere, courtesy of the management.Then to Granby , not big enough (pop 300) to be even a one horse town but with 2 great pubs both with cask mild. Boot and Shoe had Belvoir Dark Horse and the Marquis had the lovely Welland Valley Mild.A few miles down the road found us at the Anchor in Plungar for Castle Rock's Slow Worm, new to us but delicious. Stathern's turn next , like Granby a tiny village with two cracking pubs so the Red Lion first with Oscar Wilde from the Mighty Oak brewery.To the Plough for some more Belvoir Dark Horse (being a local brewery this mild is pretty common in these parts). Time to move on so it was the Rose & Crown at Hose where the mild was from the Cotswold Spring brewery-their Old Sodbury Mild.Magnificent stuff.On to Great Dalby where the Crown beckoned us with Oscar Wilde again. no problem with repetition as it's a lovely drop.Next was the Belvoir Brewery's Sample Cellar for their Dark Horse.Their policy is to pour your beer, allow you to drink a fair bit and then top you up! Plus more food courtesy of the owners.Last on the trip was the Plough at Cropwell Butler for some more Thwaite's Nutty Black.Plus a big plate of sandwiches to go at , thanks.
    That was it except that some of the guys on being dropped off at the Horse & Plough disappeared back inside.
    Just a handful of pubs still to visit , some of them really great places to drink in and to go to.

EmperorBevis likes this.
  28. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (318) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

I tried some Cain's Mild from a can. It tasted as if a much lighter porter. I am sad to see that the Cain's Brewery in Liverpool has ceased production. That is truly sad.

29. marquis

Just a quick impromptu nip out - a nice sunny day and I saw the MG on the drive and thought it was too good to miss! So a quick burst over to the Martin's Arms at Colston Bassett (better known for its Stilton) for some Elgood's Black Dog.One of my favourites and in great nick too.
    Although a very expensive pub ( at £3.50 a pint) it's nevertheless one of my favourites, everything a country pub should be. Picked my visit to coincide with a Morgan Owners' Club run , had quite a nice chat with one or two members. Strangely they were almost all lady owners![​IMG]

rtrasr and EmperorBevis like this.
  30. marquis

Out in the MG again though not MG weather.Three seasons in one day with Summer being the missing one.
    Over to the Nags Head in Saltby for some more of the excellent Belvoir Brewery Dark Horse.Then to the most distant pub in our area, the Tollemache Arms in Buckminster for some superb Elgood's Black Dog.
    That's 20 out of the 23 so far, hope I'll be able to get to the other three. Considering we only have 45 pubs of any description in our area to be able to get a cask mild in half of them is pretty good.And some other pubs have shown an interest but too late to get into the trail. Sales have surprised those who took part, some even running out for a while.
    Managed during the month to sample over 20 different cask milds and it's good to say they were all in cracking nick and it will be difficult to pick a favourite.

31. patto1ro

Subscriber

I'm so jealous.

Though I can now get Mild and the Marks & Spencer here. Only bottled, but it will have to do.

32. reprob8

reprob8 Initiate (94) May 22, 2008 United Kingdom (England)

er, is that because you first saw the cars, then the ladies and the rest was a blur?

33. marquis

Just a coincidence the cars being there but as for being a blur a couple of pints of Black Dog doesn't bring this about!
    Though the price did make me blink a little. :)

34. patto1ro

Subscriber

I scored some Dark Mild in M & S this afternoon. Happy days.

35. marquis

From the St.Michael Brewery?

36. patto1ro

Subscriber

That's the one. In Blackburn.

37. marquis

Is it bottled Nutty Black? Had that at a couple of pubs this month.

38. patto1ro

Subscriber

Probably. 3.7% ABV.

39. marquis

Went on a garden trail today , having used a pub car park felt it was only right to have a drink there.This time it was Caledonian's Mild Mayhem, 3.5% ABV, nice, unremarkable easy drinking.

40. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (318) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Stupid question: Is Mild a light Porter? Just asking for my own education. That is what Cain's Mild tasted like to me. Of course, I had it out of a can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.

Learn More
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.

Learn More
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Learn More