Miller Genuine Draft has a new look

Discussion in 'Beer Releases' started by Foyle, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foyle

Foyle Maven (1,457) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

I purchase MGD occasionally. I happened to see it at the grocery store today (only two stores in my area carry it). I picked up a 12 pack of bottles. I find the new look very underwhelming. I actually thought their previous design was much better. Time will tell if this re-vamp will lead to more sales or if the slow death of this beer will continue.

Found this article about the new look:
    https://www.marketingdive.com/news/...as-nothing-to-hide-with-brand-refresh/595250/

JZH1000, jonphisher and Bitterbill like this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

I like the new look. Shrugs.

3. meanmutt

meanmutt Grand Pooh-Bah (3,679) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Prefer the old design. New one isn't bad though.

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  4. zid

zid Grand Pooh-Bah (3,058) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I feel like someone is hunting that eagle à la the James Bond intro:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@steveh

5. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

"Emphasizes the beer's 'genuineness.'" :thinking_face:

What's the yellow crescent in the upper right corner?

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  6. moodenba

moodenba Pooh-Bah (1,833) Feb 2, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

Both the old and the new labels look good. I suspect the change from gold to black is an attempt to differentiate it from regular Miller Beer. Probably not a bad marketing move. I have to admit I haven't had a Miller-labeled beer in maybe 40 years (or more?), so can only imagine what is inside.

7. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

That's probably how long MGD and Highlife have been side-by-side on shelves -- so why make a big differentiation after so long?

Doesn't MGD outsell Highlife anyway?
    @jesskidden

8. jesskidden

jesskidden Grand Pooh-Bah (3,071) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Not for awhile ... Looks like MHL (by then bumped down to the "Popular" price segment) passed it's Premium-priced offspring MGD around 2000.

Originally (1987) "Genuine Draft" was just a line extension, a non-pasteurized, micro-filtered, sterile-filled version of High Life.
    [​IMG]

#8 jesskidden, Apr 9, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  9. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Grand Pooh-Bah (4,393) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What was wrong with Miller Beer?
    Genuine Draft...on draft....my ass.
    Miller's inability to sell that is more evidence that people are idiots.

Bitterbill and BrewsOverHoes like this.
  10. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Maven (1,469) Nov 28, 2016 New York

11. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

I've told the story before, but when MGD first came out I visited the brewery where they showed us the packaging line.

The same beer went one direction to be Pasteurized and packaged as Highlife. It went in another direction to be packaged as MGD. And kegged as Highlife for draft. :thinking_face:

I joked at the time that it would be funny if they ever put MGD on tap. About a year later... :rolling_eyes:

Bitterbill and GrumpyGas like this.
  12. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Grand Pooh-Bah (4,393) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Did Matt Groenig do their publicity video?

13. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Grand High Pooh-Bah (6,772) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Pooh-Bah Society

Miller beer in the red can was very good but short lived.

14. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

[​IMG]
    Yeah, circa 95-96 - it was a "Full-flavored" beer, they really promoted their use of "four times more hops" (Galenas) than other mainstream beers but since they developed a secret process using only the "heart of the hops" it wasn't bitter!

15. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

Did he ever live in Milwaukee? :grin:

Bitterbill and GrumpyGas like this.
  16. moodenba

moodenba Pooh-Bah (1,833) Feb 2, 2015 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society

I doubt it. He's a product of Portland (OR), famously. He uses Portland refs. in the Simpsons. Instead of Duff's, Homer should have drunk Schludwiller (from Blitz commercial).

17. Foyle

Foyle Maven (1,457) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

I have heard other people report similar observations of the Miller brewing process. My question for those who are more knowledgeable than I of brewing science. IF MGD and High Life are the same beer, with pasteurization being the only difference, then why is MGD 4.7% abv and MHL 4.6 along with MGD having 144 calories vs 141 for MHL? Can pasteurizing cause a change in calorie and ABV content?

Somewhat related, I also had a beer distributor tell me that when he toured a MolsonCoors brewery he was told that Coors Light and Keystone Light are brewed in the same tank. Supposedly they draw off the Coors Light first and the Keystone Light comes from the 'leftovers'. Can anyone else confirm or refute this?

18. Urk1127

Urk1127 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,728) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’d confused it with Miller 64. But I don’t care for the stuff.

19. jesskidden

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Note the word "originally" in my post. Based on the current MC nutritional pdf, the two beers do differ slightly these days, though the variation is within legal tolerances for alcohol content. Easy enough to do in a brewery that routinely brews their beer via high gravity brewing.
    :rolling_eyes: He's confusing it with Keystone Bock! @steveh

In breweries the size of MC's US facilities, the tanks are used for all their beers (even Pabst's cheapies :grin:).

Based on that same pdf from Molson Coors, CL is 4.2 abv and Keystone Light is 4.1 but with have the sodium but, again: high gravity brewing. When the Keystone beers were first released, Coors was still using rice as the primary adjunct in the flagship brands, and it was assumed Keystone used corn in some form. Today, both are brewed with corn syrup/dextrose.

I'd imagine, too, that whole top/bottom myth ignores where the beer is drawn from in the tanks. Most tanks it seems to be from the bottom...

Foyle and steveh like this.
  20. steveh

Pooh-Bah Society

You can stop right there. I can't count the number of times I've heard misinformation from a beer distributor.

One of my favorites was the local Guinness handler who didn't know there were 3 different styles of beer bottled by Guinness (at that time). He thought it was all the same beer. :rolling_eyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.