Miller High Life Brings “The Mimosa Of Beers” To Brunch

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by officerbill, Oct 9, 2020.

1. officerbill

officerbill Zealot (570) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

Miller and Evil Genius are collaborating on a hazy IPA
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/taranurin/2020/10/08/miller-high-life-brings-the-mimosa-of-beers-to-brunch/

2. bret27

bret27 Meyvn (1,196) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Trader

Wow. Sounds like a suit and tie event right there :smiley:

3. beaulabauve

beaulabauve Disciple (386) Aug 5, 2011 Louisiana

Sounds cool. I think High life is the best by far of the industrial lagers. The beer sounds yummy.

4. zid

zid Meyvn (1,219) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

From article:
    What elements of High Life are in that orange and mango IPA besides the so-called "signature" Galena hops used as one component in that typical IPA hop mix? Galena was once called “the most widely used commercial bittering hop in the United States.”

AlcahueteJ, TongoRad and FBarber like this.
  5. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,335) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

Gotta try it.

Loved high life for years but anymore the excessive carbonation really puts my stomach into a knot so I drink a sixer at most.

PaulsBrew likes this.
  6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,826) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I'm not so sure that being the "Mimosa of Beers" is all that big of a deal. Then again, I think the same thing about brunch, so what do I know...

ovaltine, steveh, Whyteboar and 4 others like this.
  7. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,580) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Sounds kind of interesting, I'll admit. But cans? How déclassé. :stuck_out_tongue:

8. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (1,558) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Isn't IPA beer-code for mimosa these days?

9. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,085) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

officerbill and dcotom like this.
  10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Evil Genius beers aren’t even worth trying.

11. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (337) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I'll try it I suppose but meh.

dcotom likes this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Totally read it as "Evil Twin"... and thought the same thing. What's Evil Genius's deal?

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  13. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

That’s a good question. I find they try to be funny with their beers and the naming of them to make them stand out because the product inside isn’t very good.

I have never had a beer from them that was above average. Most are below average and once in a while they pump out something average. Started avoiding them altogether.

14. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (337) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I can second what @BeastOfTheNortheast said. Some of their stuff is at least worth trying and they're local to me so I don't mind supporting them from time to time but they're like a smaller version of DFH in the sense that they like to be weird sometimes just for the sake of being weird. It does seem like they are trying to revamp their image a little, though, and I've noticed some of their recent releases were four 16 oz cans with some nice can art. And they recently partnered with a local grocery chain and the beer sounds decent:

https://mobile.twitter.com/evilgeniusbeer?lang=en

15. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (822) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I agree, the beer I’ve had from them is average at best. They did a tasting at a local beer distributor when they first started to bottle. The beers were horrible and the guys who were the owners were really not too impressive.

Anyhow , I love High Life And mango so I will grab a 4 pack if I see it and the price is $10.99. Won’t pay over the suggested retail.

I have not seen the peach IPA at my local Giant. I would try that as well if it was $10-11, any more and I will buy a beer I know is real good.

I bought a case of their coffee caramel porter last winter and still have a few left. Not bad but nothing I would grab again. That’s the one issue with those pallet beer sales the place I go to has, sometimes you take a chance at a $25 case and it’s just ok.

Enjoy

BeastOfTheNortheast and ESHBG like this.
  16. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,770) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Probably corn.

AlcahueteJ, officerbill, zid and 2 others like this.
  17. Frank_Lopez

Frank_Lopez Initiate (24) Aug 2, 2013 Maryland

??

18. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Light (and bad) joke about ipas tasting like juice

AlcahueteJ and officerbill like this.
  19. John_M

John_M Poo-Bah (6,773) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Moderator Society Trader

Given that I'm unable to even sample all the local IPA's put out by brewers I actually appreciate and respect, it's hard to imagine a circumstance where I'd want to try any of this.

This is an easy pass for me.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  20. Giantspace

I grabbed a 4 pack today. $10.99 at Wegmans. Not been here before. Pretty nice selection.

Will report back later once I have this cooled down. I think I’m over expecting here.

Enjoy

21. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,551) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Not much into gimmicks when a bottle of Korbel is like $11, plus Oj. Easier to make the real thing and I’m “supposing” a bit better.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  22. Giantspace

Huge orange gummy bear smell , bit sweet but not sugary sweet. Some bitter hops. I love fresh mango but there is no mango in here. Artificial taste dominates most of this beer. Maybe I can pour some OJ into High Life.

Enjoy

23. mactrail

mactrail Poo-Bah (10,036) Mar 24, 2009 Washington
    Society Trader

Next thread please! How about Bloody Marys, the imperial Chelada? It's a Corona and Heinz ketchup collaboration...

24. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,612) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

I actually had a King Sue at brunch one morning and it reminded me of a mimosa. Kinda went well with what I was eating.

It would have been cool if they made clear cans for this.

Roguer and unlikelyspiderperson like this.
  25. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Maybe those nice little glass jars with the pop top that the cocktails come in

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  26. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,688) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I guess Dr. Nichols hasn't made transparent aluminum cans yet!?!:confused:

[​IMG]

27. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (5,245) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

Honestly, that's freaking genius (perhaps, or perhaps not, evil). For both breweries.

It's a great play on Miller's catch phrase, bringing it into a more modern craft beer context. It's the same kind of beer that not only grabs the attention of nerds like us (Oooh, another hazy IPA with fruit!), but also appeals to non-craft aficionados (fruity, likely low bitterness). It actually sounds like a perfect brunch beer - and most people (outside of BAs) consider brunch drinks to be almost exclusively mimosas and Bloody Marys.

I have no idea how good it will be, and I have no experience with Evil Genius beers, so I can't say, from the outside looking in, that this is anything more than a gimmick - but it's a smart gimmick, at the absolute worst. I'd try it. :slight_smile:

28. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Initiate (128) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

No!
    Just....No!
    When is this fad gunna fade and we can all go back to just great beer brewed with skill to style instead of dumping the refrigerator and spice rack into a sub par brew?