Miller High Life vs Coors Banquet

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Warwick7, May 31, 2019.

?

Miller High Life vs Coors Banquet

1. Miller High Life

104 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Coors Banquet

83 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (35) May 25, 2019 Maryland

I am curious how these Beers are doing as they seem to be picking up in popularity.

Whats your favorite, what is the difference between the two and do you drink it on draft?

I know its rare to find on draft, I am looking to see if it is anywhere near me and so far nothing. I am interested even if I never go. I know its not craft but its nostaligic and simple. It is similar in the sense that it is chasing a rarity.

Cheers

Roguer, LarryV, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  2. lester619

lester619 Devotee (497) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

High life, but it's basically irrelevant after three or four. You will take some shit for this question by the way. Personally I find it refreshing.

3. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,612) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I guess it was 2 years ago we hosted a AAL tasting here on BA, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it went over. On my end I did include Coors Banquet in my group, but vastly preferred Naragansett at the time. And probably still would, but I haven't had a Coors since then. The Gansett is really good, though, and that doesn't even need to be qualified.

Hamm's has also picked up quite a bit of traction since then.

4. basics

basics Initiate (86) Oct 27, 2011 North Carolina

I sell Miller High Life, and while I enjoy it, I've always enjoyed Coors Banquet as my favourite shitty beer. And not because of loyalty to brand either. I prefer Miller Lite to Coors Light x100

5. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (577) Mar 28, 2009 California

Yellow bellies are one of my favorite AALs. Always take a 18 pack camping.

tylerstubs and Warwick7 like this.
  6. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (283) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Coors O (as we called it) was one of my go to beers in college back before I started drinking craft beer exclusively.

Thinking about it with the Summer coming up is getting my nostalgic. I may pick up a 6 and drink some for old time's sake.

Tdizzle, Warwick7 and TongoRad like this.
  7. honkey

honkey Zealot (550) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Society Industry

Banquet for me, but I’ll take PBR or Rolling Rock over either option mentioned here.

8. lester619

lester619 Devotee (497) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

I miss those High Life Wendell commercials. Even better is the one where the guy is shaking his head at his neighbor trying to back a boat trailer into his driveway. That was genius.

rodbeermunch, toolbrew and Scrapss like this.
  9. RaulMondesi

RaulMondesi Poo-Bah (1,812) Dec 11, 2006 California
    Trader

I’m not trying to be a contrarian here, but I don’t care for either. Coors is on tap at my local Elk’s lodge (along with every other macro) but I’ve never seen High Life on tap. AAL’s I’ve enjoyed have been Pabst, Hamm’s, Stroh’s, Genesee and Narragansett. I hope you find what you are looking for.

10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,810) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I’d take Miller over a Coors Light, but if they’re equally cold it’s pretty close. I haven’t bought a Miller in forever, I used to love it in the pony bottles.

VoxRationis, Milktoast75 and Scrapss like this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,568) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Coors Banquet is pretty darned good on draught. Last time I had Miller High Life on draught was at a Howard Johnson's in Anaheim around 1979. It was also darn good.

12. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,314) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

13. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,783) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Perfectly put.

Coors Banquet > Miller High Life > Miller Lite > Coors Light

I love the first three. Coors Light is carbonated water.

14. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (842) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Coors Banquet smells like bad 6 row and hop puke. Eww. At least Lite is less offensive.

#14 Scrapss, May 31, 2019
    Last edited: May 31, 2019
    cavedave, Raime and nc41 like this.
  15. nc41

Trader

Comes off as sweet a bit sweet, needs to be really cold. But, most AALs need to be super cold or they’re horrible, some more horrible than others.

dcotom, Bitterbill and Scrapss like this.
  16. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (267) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Trader

Coors is my favorite. Most of dive bars I go to have it on tap. Last one I had was before a concert a couple weeks ago.

Warwick7 and Premo88 like this.
  17. Scrapss

Scrapss Champion (842) Nov 15, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yeah but banquet comes off in cans as bad and puked any way you slice it. Even cold as hell I smell puke for some reason. Same with Gennesee regular...pure puke stench. That being said Genny Light and Cream Ale don't smell that bad to me

18. GetMeAnIPA

These are not the AALs you are looking for.

19. miwestcoaster

miwestcoaster Savant (926) Jan 19, 2013 Michigan

I thought this was the “I know a guy who worked at Miller back in the day and told me in confidence that High Life and Banquet were the same” thread.
    :sunglasses::beers:

20. Warwick7

Just finished an SS pale ale good stuff, i wish i could afford to drink these Ales more. Id rather not drink a BMC buy its hard to deny the nostaliga, simplicity and popularity. Sometimes I enjoy talking about beer woth someone and when i mention a beer they know exactly what it is and had it before. Instead of always having to explain. Its nice to be relatable once in awhile

Greatly Apprciate you all, ill get back to you all layer today

Premo88 likes this.
  21. IronLover

IronLover Poo-Bah (1,767) Apr 17, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I recently started buying High Life to convert my Miller Lite loving family members to step up their game. It's a long process, but hey are noting the difference. Naragansett and PBR are my preferred brands of the style with High Life and Coors Banquet coming in equally the same. I'll drink Miller Lite if that's all you got but if Coors Light is all you got I'll have some tea with Grandma.
    High Life is definitely seeing a bit of a revival in my area as of late. More so than Coors - but it is rare to see either on tap.

Scrapss, dcotom, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  22. GetMeAnIPA

I missed the question about being on draft. Honestly, I don’t think I have a preference as the only time I drink AALs is when I am visiting my friend in Sacramento and we hangout at this dive bar that has free darts, shuffle board and you can smoke inside. They sell just bud at $3. That’s the only beer they have.

Warwick7 and Premo88 like this.
  23. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,289) Jun 4, 2012 Antarctica

High Life for sure. My local Kroger usually has 30 packs on sale for $20 and some change after tax and deposit.

Also really like Hamms for the price. Little over $15 after tax and deposit at my local walmart for a 30. With a price that low and a beer that drinkable, I don't see how sewage like Natural and Milwaukee's still manages to sell.

Warwick7, dcotom, Premo88 and 2 others like this.
  24. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (887) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

Of those 2 I'll take the Coors. Prefer Budweiser over either of them in any case.

25. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,767) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

They've got a way to go to reach their previous highs.
    [​IMG]
    Aw, c'mon, what BA can't distinguish and have a preference between dextrose and maltose?:grin:

26. Warwick7

Jess kidden! Was Miller High Life availble in those East coast ie Maryland in the 70s? Its well known Coors wasnt.

Ypure the best JK

27. jesskidden

Society

Yeah, those stats weren't meant to compare the two beers as much as simply show how their total sales have decreased since their heydays of the 1970-80s.

Miller, although much smaller than the others nationally-distributed brands, was headed towards coast-to-coast distribution by the late 1930s. An industry publication noted that in 1940 only (#1) AB, (#2) Schlitz, (#3) Pabst, (#5) Ballantine, (#10) Falstaff and (#18) Miller advertised in national magazines. After WWII (and its rationing and shortages) Miller was being sold in all 48 US states by 1950.

28. nc41

Trader

I used to buy Miller Pony bottle 8 packs for my drive from Lejeune home on weekends. 1976 to 1979, it was all over in N.C. Popular beers were Miller, Bud, some PBR , Strohs was new here, Miller Lite the only reasonably popular one of these I can remember. You went to any bar here in N.C. your choices were usually just Bud and Miller, in PA your choices were generally just Bud and Schaefer, Schlitz or Michelob here and there, living large you were drinking Lowenbrau and or Heineken. The state of beer in the late 70s.

29. Warwick7

I find that fascinating that its been in my three state area for that long and that Coors didnt arrive till after the 70s.

MHL and CB have done a lot better this decade right? Seems like i am seeing way more ads and people wearing there t shirts more. Not saying its huge but dedlfinietyl seems to be growrth. I am enjoying it as a culture shift. It just seems absurd to me that NA in the 70s deemed Bud MHL CB too heavy.. im not insulting light drinkers. I I have lost 18 lbs drinking Leffe, Brown Ales and Imperial Stouts. Alteast Bud MHL CB have tradtion and to go and say we need to make these even lighter? Its just seems weak to me

30. Warwick7

Going to a Zeppelin concert and pounding some MHL? That would be awesome!

ZebulonXZogg and nc41 like this.
  31. nc41

Trader

More like Doobie Brothers, Grateful Dead, Foghat. Neverr saw Zep, they were too big to play anywhere in Eastern NC.

Bigrock, Buckeye55 and Milktoast75 like this.
  32. jesskidden

Society

No Schlitz? Schlitz, with a 5.5M bbl brewery in Winston-Salem, was still the #2 selling brewer in NC behind AB (based on contemporary reports) in the early-mid-70s, with Miller - also brewing in NC in Eden, opened in '77 (w/9M bbl capacity) - moving up quick, as it was nationally.

As Schlitz stumbled in the last half of that decade, rumors were that tobacco giant, R J Reynolds, was interesting in purchasing it, hoping to mirror the success that Philip Morris was having with Miller.

Not sure what "NA" is, but the shift in popularity from those brewers' flagship brands (Budweiser, Miller High Life and Coors Banquet) to their "light" versions didn't happen in the 1970s.

• Miller Lite's sales overtook Miller High Life in 1983.
    • Coors Light began selling more than Banquet in 1988.
    • Bud Light (which was first released in 1982) began outselling Budweiser in 2001.

#32 jesskidden, May 31, 2019
  33. Warwick7

Ok so it happened much later thanks. It is just intersting to me what people consider light and heavy.

34. NYRunner

NYRunner Initiate (47) Nov 5, 2018 New York

Before I discovered craft beer, Coors Light ("the silver bullet") was my go-to. And after a summer run, there's still nothing more refreshing that a cold Corona Light with lime.

35. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (449) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

In the 70’s growing up in Wisconsin the state H.S. lunch program served MHL. All students.:astonished::wink:. wink.wink.
    Well, it was and still is widely distributed with strong brand loyalty as a local brew. Count me in. I definitely “ . . have the time. . “.
    Ice cold baby! Really tough to beat. A tad sweet but infinitely drinkable. Not to bad of a hang over either, if you stayed away from the brandy shots. :grimacing:

Buckeye55 and Warwick7 like this.
  36. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (1,707) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

Damn son, you're getting ripped off, I bought 2 18's of the high life at WM yesterday for $8 a piece

37. Buckeye55

Society

Per my WBAYDN posts last night, I'll take the High Life every day and twice on Sunday over Coors. I was weaned on Miller and Strohs, and back in those days, I don't think Coors was available in Ohio. No loss.
    High Life, CL, ML, Coors

#37 Buckeye55, May 31, 2019
    Warwick7 and TongoRad like this.
  38. Buckeye55

Society

Of course my friend, hell 40 didn't even go all the way to Wilmington until the late 80s.NC pretty much stopped at Raleigh until you hit the coast

nc41, surfcaster and Foyle like this.
  39. Foyle

Foyle Champion (890) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

I enjoy both the Champagne of Beers and the Banquet Beer. I probably would give Coors a slight edge for sentimental reasons -- in 1983 I turned 18 (legal age at the time) and Coors was my first legal purchase as it was still fairly new to North Carolina (Coors was still riding high on the post-Smokey & the Bandit mystique). These days I buy both High Life and Banquet -- High Life is usually cheaper around here ($13 for a case of 24 versus $15 for Coors).

I have yet to tour a Miller Brewery, but when I toured Coors in Golden I have to say the free Banquet on tap was excellent. Wish I could get Coors that fresh all the time. I look forward to High Life in a Miller facility one of these days.

Nice to see several other North Carolina BA's chiming in on this thread! :slight_smile:

Buckeye55 and Warwick7 like this.
  40. Crusader

Crusader Aspirant (273) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

In order for the light beer category to get off the ground and eventually overtake the regular brands in sales people had to start buying those beers though instead of regular brands, and in increasingly greater volumes. So not an overnight process by any means, but people started to increasingly choose light beer over regular beer. That's a process which I, like Warwick7, find to be interesting. Every light beer hoisted was a vote for lighter beer.

Warwick7 and TongoRad like this.