Miller High Life's new "Ice Cream Dive Bars" are infused with beer. Here's where to buy them.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (6,697) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

[​IMG]

Here’s the scoop:
    • Premium ice cream infused with High Life (that packs a 5% ABV)
    • Peanut swirl bringing the saltiness of the quintessential dive bar snack
    • A hint of tobacco smoke flavor reminiscent of that unforgettable dive bar scent
    • Gooey caramel swirl to incorporate the distinct sticky dive bar floor feeling
    • A fun sprinkle of carbonated candy to provide the iconic Champagne of Beers effervescence in every bite
    • Dipped in dark chocolate to evoke the dark wood and dim lighting ambiance that all good dives share
    You can buy them here: https://tipsyscoop.com/products/highlifeicecreamdivebars
    https://www.pennlive.com/life/2022/...nfused-with-beer-heres-where-to-buy-them.html

[​IMG]

2. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,400) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

Miller High Life says it “loves everything about dive bar culture.” Really? Everything?
    Does this mean I have to update the music I blast from my ice cream truck? :nerd: Dang it! I'd try one once just to see if they're any good and for the thrill of conversation.

moodenba and Blueribbon666 like this.
  3. Giantspace

Giantspace Meyvn (1,026) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

At that price I can get two 30 packs of the actual beer and a bag of peanuts. I would love to try this but not at $6 for what looks like a 3” bar of product.

Enjoy

md3kcn, DCH and JackHorzempa like this.
  4. Fenski

Fenski Devotee (433) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

I love beer.
    I love ice cream.
    I do not want beer flavored ice cream.

5. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,745) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Maybe you would enjoy a beer float?

I had friends and family who visited a number of years ago and somebody came up with the idea of making a float using my homebrewed Oatmeal Stout using vanilla ice cream. I personally did not partake but based upon their smiling faces it must have been very tasty.

Cheers!

cavedave and AlcahueteJ like this.
  6. Fenski

Fenski Devotee (433) Apr 24, 2008 Ohio
    Society

I've seen posts about stout floats on here before. Some BA's had found them very enjoyable but I just don't want to mix beer with a dessert, especially a Miller High Life or similar. If I were to experiment with that combination it would be with some kind of pastry stout- Southern Tier Creme Brulee first comes to mind (is that still around?)

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,745) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Its not listed on the Southern Tier website so...

Cheers!

8. crazyspicychef

crazyspicychef Devotee (451) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

We sold Guinness Floats with a drizzle of Chambord at the Pub I was the Exec Chef at.
    Even though I refused to try one, people loved them.
    I on the other hand, don't want Miller High Life or Tobacco smoke flavors in my ice cream.
    I prefer to keep my Ice cream & beer separate. 86 the tobacco smoke all together.
    Call me a traditionalist.

Blueribbon666 likes this.
  9. DCH

DCH Disciple (308) Jun 12, 2013 New York

Just leave MHL alone, it wasn’t bothering anyone.

Jaycase, JackHorzempa and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  10. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (748) Mar 28, 2009 California

Is this interesting because it has beer in it? I don’t see how adding Miller High Life improves an ice cream bar flavor. I’ve had a few beer floats and liked them. The flavors complimented each other. But none of them are something I want more than a few times in my lifetime.

DCH likes this.
  11. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

If nothing else it may improve the taste of the corny rice champagne of beers:wink:

dcotom and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  12. Resistance88

Resistance88 Zealot (579) Apr 9, 2015 California
    Trader

someone sent me photos of thick mint, creme brulee and some other horrible sounding beer from them on shelves today...so ... double cheers?

13. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,978) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Kind of interesting that the ice cream will mess you up faster than the beer.

The ice cream bar is 5% ABV, High Life is 4.6%.

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  14. moodenba

moodenba Defender (613) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Not so fast. They are in ABV. It looks like about five or six bars would be needed to get up to the volume of a 12 oz beer, approximating an equal alcohol content. .

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  15. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,412) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

AFAIK, Miller High Life does not use rice.

JZH1000 likes this.
  16. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Poo-Bah (2,572) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

When the shipping costs more than the bars, hard pass.

17. moodenba

moodenba Defender (613) Feb 2, 2015 New York

Shipping frozen food needs dry ice. CO2 is apparently in short supply, so isn't cheap, Shipping is probably overnight or similar, and the weight of the CO2 also increases the cost.

JZH1000 likes this.
  18. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Poo-Bah (2,572) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

Understand reasoning, just putting that out there.

19. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,105) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Can't remember which brewery @WillieThreebiers and I visited in Vermont that served those in their tap room but they are deeeelicious!

JackHorzempa likes this.
  20. Blueribbon666

Blueribbon666 Zealot (539) Jul 4, 2008 Ohio

Could have fooled me, but then I rarely touch the High Life.

21. WillieThreebiers

WillieThreebiers Poo-Bah (8,576) Apr 26, 2012 Connecticut
    Society

I can't remember for sure, but think it must have been at Prohibition Pig... Had a flight of beer ice creams at In the Mix in Barker New York, and I've been to beer dinners where beer ice cream was served... Stouts seem to work best.

JackHorzempa and cavedave like this.
  22. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (194) Nov 8, 2009 New York

There is a canned, nitro version available on shelves in my area.

JackHorzempa and Fenski like this.
  23. BruChef

BruChef Initiate (194) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Did I hear/read that High Life was no longer being brewed?

24. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,105) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Hmmm, maybe so. Since I posted I am thinking it was Queen City, but this old brain ain't what it used to be for things like that. I do remembr it was a delicious treat, and I have done it at home a few times with BCBS and Steve's Vanilla that is out of this world

WillieThreebiers and AlcahueteJ like this.
  25. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Poo-Bah (1,978) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts
    Society

Our local brewing Notch does beer ice cream floats. I haven't had one yet, but I assume it uses ice cream from our local ice cream shop Tipping Cow who are literally in the same space as them.

I also assume they use their Czech Dark Lager for it.

cavedave likes this.
  26. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yup. Maltose corn syrup these days, in the past (I think Miller mothballed their cereal cookers in many of their breweries in the late 80s/early 90s) they used corn grits. When you toured the Milwaukee plant in the late 1970s, you even got a little sample of them.
    [​IMG]
    And don't those 50 year old hops look good? :grin:

I think someone posted that either referring to, or confusing it with, Miller High Life Light, over in that Favorite Macro Light thread. Although Molson Coors still lists it on their Nutritional/Fermentation Sources pdf.

Seems unlikely MC would drop Miller High Life, in 2020 it was still the 16th best selling beer in the US at 2.8M bbl. Incredibly, that made it the second best selling tradition AAL brewed in the US, behind only Budweiser then at #5 and nearly 11M bbl. (Probably lower today, since apparently Modelo Especial has passed it).

#26 jesskidden, Aug 17, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
    BruChef and Jaycase like this.
  27. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,531) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, Molson Coors announced Miller High Life Light was one of the beers they were dropping last year. Molson Coors to sunset 11 economy brands

BruChef likes this.
  28. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (3,041) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Pass on the Dive Bars. I'm in on ST Crème Brûlée swirled with French vanilla ice cream, though.

29. JZH1000

JZH1000 Defender (664) Nov 7, 2021 Colorado

Interesting but weird collab especially for the price point.

I get the dive bar aesthetic but it feels a bit like gentrification no? I guess miller has been trying to seem trendy while being cheap forever now. Didn't they have a press release at some crafty NYC bar a few years ago that was styled like a craft beer new beer event?

30. Providence

Providence Champion (821) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

We have ice cream flavored beer, so why not beer flavored ice cream? Anything goes in our country of children pretending to be adults.

31. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,797) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Save your money Todd. :wink:

I was in the area of one of their stores... I love trying odd ice cream flavors... High Life is my favorite BMC beer... getting a bar was a no-brainer. Buying a single bar is $6 and that's not much when you consider that getting the usual junk from an ice cream truck in my area is about $4 or $5. Granted this was a small bar. I was fine buying this for the novelty value.

I am a sucker for vanilla ice cream with dark chocolate and peanuts... and the flavor of smoke. How could I lose? :wink: Unfortunately this ice cream bar was a less pleasing experience than eating a Nestle Drumstick or something similar. This beer flavored ice cream just tasted weird to me. I couldn't place the flavor, but it wasn't enjoyable. It also didn't conjure up the bar vibe they were going for (not that I expected it to). Everything else in or on the ice cream just felt sloppy. I wasn't expecting much with this, and I don't think this bar even got that far. It still was a fun moment. I also tried their non-alcoholic vanilla ice cream and one of their alcoholic sorbets, and both were great.

Jaycase, Todd and Reidrover like this.
  32. JayORear

JayORear Meyvn (1,479) Feb 22, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

About half of every BCBS I open ends up poured over vanilla ice cream.

HouseofWortship and JackHorzempa like this.
  33. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,498) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I like Miller High Life, I like ice cream, and sometimes I even like beer mixed with ice cream. But this doesn't sound appealing to me at all. It's the wrong flavor combination. A light crisp corn lager mixed with ice cream? Nah...