Release MillerCoors Releases Two Hats, New Line Of Light Beers

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Jason, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Jason

Jason Founder (8,021) Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Beer Trader

CHICAGO, Feb. 7, 2018 - Two Hats, a new line of light beers with a hint of all-natural fruit flavor, is changing up the light beer game with two lightly flavored options, lime and pineapple, that won't break the bank. More than 20 years since there has been a mainstream beer launch at a low price point, Two Hats is introducing a good, cheap option that suits the taste and budget of a new generation of drinkers who aren't currently big on beer.

[​IMG]

With an alcohol by volume of 4.2 percent, Two Hats merges the refreshing character of a light beer with a familiar hint of all-natural fruit flavor that never overpowers. Drinkers can pick up 16-ounce Two Hats cans in a four- or six-pack for about five dollars nationwide. Yup, seriously.

"We want to give 21- to 24-year-old drinkers, who don't consider beer to be great-tasting and affordable, an option they can get on board with," said Justine Stauffer, Two Hats brand manager. "As soon as people realize that a beer this good is about five dollars, their immediate reaction is, 'Wait, what?'"

Two Hats is collaborating with alumni from the Chicago-based incubator program, The Remix Project, to offer a unique creative filter to its campaign. Bringing in the diverse perspectives of creatives and entrepreneurs in the arts and entertainment industries, The Remix Project and its alumni are helping the brand connect with new drinkers in a meaningful way.

Adapting to the digital lifestyle of this new generation, Two Hats will focus on sharing wide-ranging content, from video to memes and gifs, across various digital and social media platforms such as College Humor, Facebook and Instagram. Additionally, drinkers will have the opportunity to try Two Hats through local sampling and custom events across the nation.

To get your fill of "Good Cheap Beer" at all times, follow Two Hats on Facebook at facebook.com/TwoHatsBeer/ and on Instagram @twohatsbeer. To find Two Hats in your city, visit our store locator at twohatsbeer.com.

About MillerCoors:
    Through its diverse collection of storied breweries, MillerCoors brings American beer drinkers an unmatched selection of the highest quality beers, flavored malt beverages and ciders, steeped in centuries of brewing heritage. Miller Brewing Company and Coors Brewing Company brew national favorites such as Miller Lite, Miller High Life, Coors Light and Coors Banquet. MillerCoors also proudly offers beers such as Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy from sixth-generation Jacob Leinenkugel Brewing Company, and Blue Moon Belgian White from modern craft pioneer Blue Moon Brewing Company, founded in 1995. Beyond beer, MillerCoors operates Crispin Cider Company, an artisanal maker of pear and apple ciders using fresh-pressed American juice, and offers pioneering brands such as the Redd's franchise, Smith & Forge Hard Cider and Henry's Hard Sodas. Tenth and Blake Beer Company, our craft and import division, is the home to craft brewers Hop Valley Brewing, Revolver Brewing, Saint Archer Brewing Company and the Terrapin Beer Company. Tenth and Blake also imports world-renowned beers such as Italy's Peroni Nastro Azzurro, the Czech Republic's Pilsner Urquell and the Netherlands' Grolsch. MillerCoors, the U.S. business unit of the Molson Coors Brewing Company, has an uncompromising dedication to quality, a keen focus on innovation and a deep commitment to sustainability. Learn more at MillerCoors.com, at facebook.com/MillerCoors or on Twitter at @MillerCoors.

Tmwright7 likes this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,387) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Um Bud Light Lime? Does not sound too innovative just more of the same.

3. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,304) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey

Took 'em a while...

Looks like they're using the Miller "Plank Road" 'dba'.
    [​IMG]

Notice, too, an interesting aspect of the Serving Facts - it's a 16 oz. can but the calories are listed at 112 (kinda high for a "Light" beer to begin with) are based on a 12 oz. serving...:thinking_face:

4. DISKORD

DISKORD Initiate (175) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

All that High Fructose Corn Syrup!

GetMeAnIPA and Dan_K like this.
  5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,061) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Don't they trot that out every now and again to "hide behind?"

mikeinportc and FBarber like this.
  6. DISKORD

:thinking_face::laughing: So, this will be "great"-tasting?!?! Miller Chill anyone? I agree with @AZBeerDude72

7. jesskidden

Oh, yeah - in that earlier thread, I had wondered if they'd label it as a Miller or a Coors product, or use one of their numerous 'dba' names. I guess "Plank Road" has previously been used for Red Dog and Icehouse brands.

(The saddest is using Henry Weinhard - 1830 -1904 - for their hard soda pop line. What'd that poor bastard who died over a century ago ever do to the Molson or Coors family to deserve such ignominy?)

8. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,992) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

Oh, wow. I'm in. :rolling_eyes:

9. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,017) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio

Just what we needed...more garbage on the already overcrowded shelves.

10. AZBeerDude72

LOL I think we already have a market for the 21 to 24 year olds who don't like beer, its called wine coolers and other drinks that drown the shelves. I honestly don't get this one from Miller, Bud already did the Lime deal and this is just more of the same when the market is already over saturated with flavored drinks.

mikeinportc and DISKORD like this.
  11. DISKORD

Hard sodas and hard seltzer water! :poop::nauseated_face:

12. AZBeerDude72

Maybe they just need to toss a chunk of pineapple into a Corona and problem solved. They have the lime covered already so maybe Corona needs to jump in and add this lol.

mikeinportc likes this.
  13. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,071) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon

After the abomination known as Bud Light Platinum, I just assumed the term no longer has any meaning. If AB-InBev can call a beer with 137 calories "light," then I certainly don't have any problem with MillerCoors calling this latest can of fruit flavored swill "light" as well.

mikeinportc, dcotom and DISKORD like this.
  14. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Crusader (722) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Premium Member

I can hardly wait to pass this in the liquor store.

core42 and DISKORD like this.
  15. nachos

nachos Initiate (98) Jun 4, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'll never understand why stuff like this even gets posted here . . .

Lucular and GOBLIN like this.
  16. DISKORD

How about they just try making some good quality Lager(s) first? Then they can experiment with different flavors. Instead, it's s!@#$%, mass-produced AALs with a ton of artificial flavors, sweeteners, chemicals and fillers. Then they want to call it "light" and "refreshing". How about "Artificial carbonated sweet syrupy alcoholic seltzer soda"? There's a reason behind all those calories in a so-called "Light" beer.

mikeinportc, AZBeerDude72 and John_M like this.
  17. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,501) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

So, another canary dies in the coal mine.

mikeinportc, dcotom and Squire like this.
  18. pro45

pro45 Aspirant (274) Sep 11, 2016 New York

Garbage. No thanks.

DISKORD likes this.
  19. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,175) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Ah, that familiar hint of all--natural fruit flavor. I can't get enough of it tbh. I'm giddy with excitement.
    If there isn't a commercial featuring these reactions, there needs to be one. "Wait, what? And the taste has this familiar characteristic to it. Yeah, all-natural fruit flavor! Is this included with the 5 dollar approximate cost or is it extra?"
    Video, memes and gifs? Does a digital lifestyle get any better?

20. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,711) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

Oh wow, everything I always wanted in a beer and less.

21. John_M

John_M Moderator (6,071) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon

Sigh... I'm sure it's only a matter of time before they start showing up. Frankly, I'm surprised they didn't use the Superbowl as an opportunity to showcase the release with the "excited reaction" you're referencing.

It's been a long time since I was "21 to 24", but I feel fairly certain that at that age, I would not have appreciated being singled out in the manner that MillerCoors seems to be singling out this age group.

(in my best Moon Unit Zappa, Valley Girl voice: "Like, OMG!!! A beer that tastes this rad, and it's only $5!!!! OMG!! I wonder if I can find it at the Mall!!! Encino is just so bitchin!!!").

#21 John_M, Feb 7, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  22. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,992) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa

Careful there. I think one of the Big Beer conglomerates might have that slogan trademarked.
    King: "Solicitor, take this man to court. Dilly dilly!"
    Moron chorus: "Dilly dilly!"

23. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Devotee (442) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia

I look forward to seeing empties of these scattered in the yards of ODU rentals

rgordon, rather, mikeinportc and 2 others like this.
  24. core42

core42 Devotee (492) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Definitely not innovative
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,389) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Which ferments to alcohol. At 4.2 % it is not a big beer.

drtth likes this.
  26. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,175) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I find this practice annoying. I'm going to call the 800 number and ask how they expect consumers to store the remaining 4 ounces when one has a serving per day.

mikeinportc likes this.
  27. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (386) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

The Miller Marketing Team’s naming process probably went something like this:

Pitchman: “What we have here is a beer style that targeted craft drinkers have repeatedly given “Two Shats” about, geared toward the 21-24 year old demographic that we have affectionately dubbed as... “Ass Hats.”

*Everyone nods*

Head of Marketing: “Well, we can’t realistically call it either of those. Let’s play with the names and see if we can come up with something catchy that works.”

:smirk:

28. drtth

:sunglasses:

The difficulty for your possible scenario is that craft drinkers are not the target market segment for this stuff. This is targeted to those who might choose flavored seltzer water, Twisted Tea or things like light lime.

mikeinportc likes this.
  29. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (386) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Imagine that what you just said was the previous idea of that imaginary pitch. :thinking_face:

Now reread it...:wink:

It works. It all works.

Craft drinkers are always a target market which is why BMC owns so many brands that produce “craft” on a large scale. If it doesn’t say Bud, Miller, or Coors a segment of society is not immediately “put off.” The door is open for the consumer to consider purchasing.

mikeinportc likes this.
  30. drtth

Then the marketing guy should be fired. :wink:

mikeinportc likes this.
  31. DISKORD

Not if they add it after.

hopfenunmaltz likes this.
  32. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (759) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

I like Miller Lite, so I was hoping for something in that vein (not sure what they can do with what's essentially a perfect light AAL, but my curiosity was piqued). This is really disappointing, incredibly unnecessary, and I expect it to flop hard like Miller Fortune before it.

33. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,620) Aug 4, 2014 Texas

Sheeet total wine has them in Austin $5.99 for a 6r of pounders. Man that is going to be in someone's wagon wheel. I expect this will sell well to the crowd they are targeting. This is up there in the bargain area with the obscure German pils you always see in 4 packs for $5.

34. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,369) Sep 15, 2014 New York

It's a pass from me.

DISKORD likes this.
  35. CNoj012

CNoj012 Poo-Bah (1,560) Dec 7, 2014 New York

They just arrived at my store today. $4.99 for a 6pk of 16oz cans. I would honestly be shocked if this stuff doesn't fly out of here at that price when the warm weather hits.

donspublic and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  36. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,987) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Isn't it likely that some of these sweet "beers" and FMB's are pasteurized then back sweetened?

37. jesskidden

Why would they go through such a complicated method? Not to mention, flash pasteurization is typically done in-line on the way to packaging (keg, bottle, cans) into sterile containers - how and when then would adding sugar/sweetener be done?

Adding the sweetener before packaging and then pasteurizing (either flash or tunnel) seems to be the conventional method.

Also, re: @DISKORD 's HFCS comment. For all the MillerCoors FMB sorts of products, including cider, that list their ingredients on the MC "Great Beers" page or a brand FAQ, none use HFCS as a sweetener that I can find.

For instance, Zima:
    Sparks Blueberry:
    Smith & Forge:
    Redd's Apple Ale FAQ:
    Henry Hard Soda:
    "Made with cane sugar" on label.

No info that I can find for the Leinenkugel Shandies...

EDIT: Somehow my last sentence got dropped (I think I had two windows open to the same thread?). But I'd say the use of potassium sorbate in some of the above is to prevent further fermentation along with (likely) tunnel pasteurization.

#37 jesskidden, Feb 8, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    DonicBoom, Bitterbill and jmdrpi like this.
  38. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,389) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

It could be done. Sterile filtration could also keep the sugars from fermenting.

@jesskidden has done the detailed look at ingredients, and says no, not done that way, probably.

Bitterbill, jmdrpi and jesskidden like this.
  39. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,987) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Makes sense. I guess I shouldn't have phrased it the way I did - generally what I meant was just stopping the yeast from fermenting the added sugars. The order wouldn't matter if timing is short.

40. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Disciple (306) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

You know what's crazy or just sad. I would pay $5 for six Miller lites. Why can't they just price down their key product?

dcall384 and CNoj012 like this.