Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release MillerCoors to launch Two Hats, a light beer with fruit flavors

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jesskidden, Sep 9, 2017.

1. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,278) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

[​IMG] MillerCoors is preparing to launch early next year a new beer aimed at recruiting tough-to-reach 21- to 24-year-olds.

Two Hats, a line of clean-finishing light beers brewed with a hint of natural fruit flavor, is slated to roll out nationwide in early 2018 in six-packs of 16-oz. cans. The 4.2 percent alcohol-by-volume beer will debut with two flavors that perform well among younger legal-drinking-age consumers — lime and pineapple — and be sold at an affordable price point.

http://www.millercoorsblog.com/news/millercoors-launch-two-hats-light-beer-lime-pineapple/

rgordon, cello, zid and 1 other person like this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (987) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

This is a no go for me:nauseated_face:

3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,192) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Like the can art/design. Don't have any interest in the beer.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  4. dennis3951

dennis3951 Crusader (762) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

5. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (1,834) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I'm not going to lie, if my lawn needs mowed and that's the only beer equivalent to Gatorade at the local c store, I'm bound to try it. Leinie shandies have played the role previously but finding them around here in cans has been tough.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,016) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

So, what is the discriminator of Two Hats Lime from Bud Light Lime?

Cheers!

mikeinportc likes this.
  7. TwoTrees

TwoTrees Disciple (351) Oct 31, 2012 Washington

'...aimed at recruiting tough-to-reach 21- to 24-year-olds.'

Are 21 to 24 year olds really that tough to reach? Or, do they mean the 21 to 24 year olds that don't currently buy Miller products?

Cool cans. Still won't buy.

HermitDan and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  8. jesskidden

Subscriber

Not branded "Bud" --- or, apparently "Miller" or "Coors"?

I can't find much other info on the beers (no TTB COLA that I could find but that website's a b*tch to use), just that MC "blog" and an Ad Age article. Not sure if it will be labeled a Miller or Coors product or if they'll go with a 'dba' like "Two Hat Brewing Co., Golden, CO" or "...Milwaukee, WI".

9. JackHorzempa

Supporter

JK, it is my understanding that Bud Light Lime was introduced in 2008. It seems to me that MillerCoors is about ten years late to this 'game'.

Cheers!

5thOhio likes this.
  10. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (288) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

What price point are we talking here? That age group is pretty cheap

And they really had to go through a R&D phase to basically copy cat the ____ -A- Rita lineup? I could've told them that. Are they really selling that well for Bud?

mikeinportc and 5thOhio like this.
  11. jesskidden

Subscriber

Or almost 40 years after Lone Star's Lime Lager? :wink:
    [​IMG]

Seems that Corona w/lime added later by the server or consumer has maintained its popularity for decades.

"The brand will be sold at an affordable price..." according to the Ad Age article, quoting the brewery. So, less than "Premium" priced (i.e., Coors Light, Miller Lite) would be my guess - closer to High Life or Keystone.

These beers are 4.2% and have "subtle fruit flavors" - doesn't sound like the 8% ___-A-Rita line to me which are heavily flavored and sweetened (granted, they also have a ____-A-Rita "Splash" line-extension at 4%).

#11 jesskidden, Sep 9, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,475) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

I might be inclined to try the pineapple if I could find a single. Then again reading a review first might cure me of this urge.

13. meefmoff

meefmoff Disciple (304) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

I actually sort of like Bud Light Lime and Miller High Life is my favorite AAL so this has potential to be something I might shove down my gullet now and again.

As others have said, great can art.

bluejacket74 likes this.
  14. JackHorzempa

Supporter

So there is Corona where folks like to add lime, and then there is Bud Light Lime where the lime is already added. Is there a large unserved market for folks who like Pale Lagers with lime here? In other words, is there genuinely a need for another Pale Lager with lime added?

Cheers!

mikeinportc likes this.
  15. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,539) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi

Two Hats apparently.

16. jesskidden

Subscriber

You wouldn't think so, would ya? Me, neither. But MillerCoors seems to, and they're putting money behind it (unlike you or I :grin:).

There's lots of beers that you could have said that about that are best-sellers (--- and even more littering the dustbins of brewing history). These days the macro brewers seem content to have a new beer sell a lot upon release, make them some money, and then quietly disappear only a few years later. (Well, "content" might be an exaggeration, but that's the market they're left with).

17. JackHorzempa

Supporter

And that modus operandi has the appearance of being motion vs. action. In other words the Marketing & Sales force of MillerCoors is conducting motion here vs. thinking deeply and creating a novel and needed product that has the potential of having staying power. Just one man's opinion on this matter.

Cheers!

18. Ridgewalker_1999

Ridgewalker_1999 Initiate (133) Nov 3, 2016 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

How many 21-24 yrs old actually care about flavor?

19. zid

zid Champion (837) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

All of them. :slight_smile:

20. zid

Beer Trader

The slanted reviews will definitely be coming in - the type where the color of an AAL is described as "piss" even though the same color in a Belgian blond would be described as "golden straw." :confounded:

21. bbtkd

bbtkd Meyvn (1,475) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Supporter Subscriber

There should be a "macro bias" adjustment to the avg score for macros :wink:

eldoctorador likes this.
  22. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,077) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I agree with the folks that say the cans are cool, but, eh. It's a pass from me.

mikeinportc likes this.
  23. BigJim5021

BigJim5021 Zealot (590) Sep 2, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I'm sure these will be a huge hit, just like Miller Fortune.

In all seriousness, you would think that after Miller Chill crashed and burned (and in all fairness, they did put that out well in advance of BL Lime) they would have learned their lesson. Apparently not.

24. zid

Beer Trader

The discriminator is that it isn't Bud Light Lime. If this new beer was called Miller Lite Lime, that discriminator wouldn't be there. The branding is very deliberate, and they must be trying to reach an audience that wouldn't be as receptive to a Bud or Miller branded beer. The fact that these are supposed to serve as an introduction to the rest of their portfolio makes me wonder if my instincts are all wrong though.

mikeinportc likes this.
  25. cryptichead

cryptichead Crusader (797) Jul 3, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I don't see how the design or the flavor profiles are supposed to attract the 21 to 24 year olds. But what do I know?

5thOhio likes this.
  26. Stewmeister91

Stewmeister91 Aspirant (281) Apr 7, 2008 New Jersey
    Subscriber Beer Trader

If you renember, Miller came out first with Miller Chill before BLL. This seems to make sense.

BMC struggled with the premium stuff. Bud Light Platinum, Miller Fortune, Bud Crown (something like that) probably haven't touched the A-Rita series.

Based on the announcement that Bud is done buying craft, is more original offerings in the mix?

27. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Actually I have no recollection/knowledge of Miller Chill.

I am guessing that the MillerCoors marketing folks thinks this beer will sell better without the use of the Miller name? By obfuscating who is producing the beer the 21-24 year old beer drinkers will find this product more appealing? Perhaps they are taking a trick play out of the playbook like the used for Blue Moon?

Cheers!

mikeinportc and Squire123 like this.
  28. 5thOhio

5thOhio Zealot (501) May 13, 2007 South Carolina

They left a word off: "21 to 24 year old females ..."

29. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,217) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

It would seem from my experience (not counting college kids, they drink what is cheaper), Bud, Miller and Coors drinkers are as passionate about their brands as we are about ours. I would bet people will check out Miller Lime, even though they never gave Bud lite lime a second look. And when it comes to the beach, I have to admit Bud lite lime is not a bad beer to quench your thirst, there are always some of those cans hanging out in the ice chest.

30. JackHorzempa

Supporter

And what would be the reasoning for folks to want to purchase a Miller Lite Lime vs. Bud Light Lime?

It would seem that people did not purchase Miller Chill (Miller Lite Lime) since this beer was discontinued.

Cheers!

PorterPro125 likes this.
  31. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,385) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I suppose you could use these for an interesting twist on the Strip & Go Naked. Or you could mix the pineapple one with coconut-flavored vodka for a piña colada something or other. Or you could...

Nah, pass.

5thOhio and mikeinportc like this.
  32. lordofthemark

lordofthemark Aspirant (290) Jan 28, 2015 Virginia

I suspect that there are venues (stadiums, etc) where MolsonCoors bids against ABI to be the exclusive supplier, and the lack of a Bud Lime equivalent is an issue.

rgordon, meefmoff and mikeinportc like this.
  33. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Zealot (500) Nov 4, 2015 New York

That's probably it. (mostly)

As for me, it sounds absolutely nauseating. :nauseated_face:
    (Generally, have that reaction to most fruit beers, with the exception of a more positive feel for sour styles w/ fruit.)

34. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (869) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Subscriber

Being a 21-24 year old, I honestly can't see these beers being hugely popular among my age-group. Bud Light Lime doesn't seem to be overly popular (At least in my area) which leads me to believe that a Pineapple beer won't be either. As for fruity, sweet alcoholic beverages in general, I think the category is already locked down by the likes of Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezer, Twisted Tea, Palm Bay, etc.

rgordon and dcotom like this.
  35. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (869) Jan 19, 2013 New Brunswick (Canada)
    Subscriber

I didn't want to say it myself, but I think you hit the nail on the head. As I said in my comment though, I think the market for fruity drinks is pretty much locked down by the likes of Smirnoff Ice, Bacardi Breezer, Palm Bay, Black Fly, etc.

Whether or not University Age Girls will choose beer over Vodka, Tequila, Rum mixed drinks remains to be seen :grin:

36. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,297) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Im 24 and so ill tellyou why i dont drink miller. I can spend a dollsr or two more on a beer that to me has better flavor. Simple as that. I have no problem paying a little extra for something i feel is better quality for what its worth. Miller bores me. These fruit flavors do nothing for me. Now if millercoors came out with a stout id at least try it. Idc about getting hammered for cheap. I care about small business, quality and taste. They may put out quality in that theres no off flavor and consistency is high but the flavor isnt there. But the 16oz sixer is a plus. Lime and pineapple is not. I feel its going to tastes like seltzer and i want beer to be bold and taste like beer.

HorseheadsHophead and dcotom like this.
  37. donspublic

donspublic Meyvn (1,217) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Because of this statement that was before it
    I keep both bud and miller products in my back fridge because the miller people won't drink bud, or don't like to and the bud people the reverse way. But in looking at the way it is marketed, that probably logic wouldn't apply. I never had Miller Chill, I am guessing that this new beer will be reformulated and the addition of being from Two Hats will be faux craft so they can probably suck in some people who think this is just a new craft brewery doing light fruited beers. I will try these when they are out, someone I know is bound to have them in an ice chest one day when I am around. I have to say some of the best beer I had this week was when someone had thrown in some bud lights in the bottom of one of the ice chest we had on site while we gutting my in-laws house this past week due to Harvey.

drtth likes this.
  38. LuskusDelph

LuskusDelph Aspirant (279) May 1, 2008 New Jersey

That's highly doubtful.

39. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,236) May 21, 2008 Colorado

Keep in mind, those kids that needed 57 flavors of juice boxes are now of legal drinking age. Flavor, crushable and affordable appeal far more to them than we that comment on these pages view as drinkable. I don't even plan to try as I'm not much for the seemingly artificial (whether it is or not) sweet flavors. I do like me an ice cold light lager for the right occasion, but hold the fruit.

40. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (724) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I am no snob, and Bud Lite on the golf course at 90+ has come close to being perfect, but I try to keep Stiegl Radler around for endlessly good moments that happen to emerge.

gopens44, cavedave, zid and 1 other person like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.